How long is your work commute?

Associate
Depends on which office i'm working in, my home office is a 8 mile round trip and im usually there Mondays and Fridays, but the other is 150 mile round trip and can take anywhere from 3-6 hours total (traffic dependent), and that's a minimum of 2 visits a week :( , the advantage is my travel time is classed as overtime, so sitting in traffic isn't a bad thing for me lol.

Soldato
About 45 miles each way. Sounds painful and it can be, but it's preferable at the moment to having to use hotels if I were to work even further away. Mostly dual carriageway.

Soldato
30 minutes sometimes longer if the traffic is bad. I thought that was normal for most people I've had longer commutes. I'm amazed at the number of people who are 5 minutes or so you must live on the next street.

Man of Honour
5 minutes bus trip to the station, 12 minutes on the train.

Some days I drive if the trains are bad or it’s too hot for public transport, 21 miles and takes around 35-40 minutes depending on traffic

Soldato
30 miles in circa 30 to 40 mins. Often 30 in good traffic.

Know people who do half the mileage to my work and takes same amount of time.

Wouldnt really want to have a 45+min commute by car!

Caporegime
You either drive like a maniac or walk incredibly slowly!

There is no traffic if I leave before 8, and only 1 traffic light which this morning I got there as it was green. About half of it is 30 and the other half 40mph limit as I live on the edge of town so I actually get to do those speeds. It is also half up hill and half down hill, the uphill part is harder to walk but not harder to drive.

It’s about 3 miles. It normally takes 15mins to 20 to walk a mile…so yeah, 5 min drive, 45mins walk.

Yesterday I drove 7 miles in London, left at 7:20am in Edmonton Premier Inn going into E2…about 7 miles and took me almost an hour. How can anyone spend their life in traffic like that…start stop, a million pot holes, bikes left right and centre, gazillion speed cameras. Urgh

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of London based jobs are like that now, because it's really hard to convince people to commute in. At one time people jumped at the chance, but not any more. People don't want to deal with London prices, traffic or crap public transport, or the stress of it all and London's reputation isn't exactly great right now.

Everyone wants at least double the wages plus travel expenses or they pass. I don't blame them, **** working in London.

Anyway, 10 miles for me :D

It used to be that all the interesting roles were in London, but now I run a product engineering team with people in US, UK, China and India. The only downside is that there is no 'off' time, I deal with Bangalore in the morning and Austin in the afternoon, traded commute time for Zoom meetings. A good thing about the UK is our working day spanning these time zones.

I never enjoyed working in London, lunchtime was always interesting, but being crammed onto a train like cattle whilst paying extortionate amounts for the privilege was not sustainable.

On the flip side, I have to go to Austin once per quarter, so my commute on those days is ~15h each way.

Soldato
In a car, it's about 1hr to 1.5hrs depending on traffic.

On the motorcycle, it's pretty much invariably 45-50mins, so I ride in most days unless ice / snow.

It's about 25 miles each way, and about 15 miles of that is motorway.

Back
Top Bottom