Cat5 through external wall

Soldato
Hi,

Please can someone help me with the easiest way to put 4x Cat5e cables out through an external wall? These are for PoE CCTV and i'd like to just drill one hole if possible with an SDS drill.

I'd like to use this faceplate on this backing plate but I'm not sure on:
- What size hole to drill for 4 cables?
- Should you out a plastic conduit inside the hole?
- Should you silicone it up to block drafts?
- What should go on the outside? Would a simple PVC junction box like this be suitable and then just route them off where needed?

Thanks for any help :)

Soldato
Drill one big hole and put a plastic pipe through. If you can get flanges for the ends, so much the better. Make sure both ends are properly sealed against water. What you need on the outside depends upon where the cables are going. That box should do if all the cables are going in different directions, but if they're all going in the same direction you'll want to keep them together. You are using outdoor grade cable, aren't you? If you're using ducting outside, remember to include pull wires.

Soldato
Thanks, would a 22mm hole be ok for that many cables?

That might be a bit tight especially once you've put the pipe through. Remember that external cable is thicker - up to 9mm - and you will want the capacity to add more cables.

On the outside, do make sure everything is sealed against insect ingress.

Associate
Also, be careful not to burst the bricks when using the SDS and a large bit. Drill a smaller hole first and go slow (without hammer mode) when you are about to break through. I'd probably use a 30mm bit for 4 cables although you may get away with 25mm.

Just as an aside, I recently tested a new IP camera using just powerline and a POE injector and it actually works really well for hard to reach areas and saves a lot of cabling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom