• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP <=8 GB Vram

Soldato
OP
Greedfall isn't a game I'd use as a stellar example of anything.
Janky developer is janky

Janky? Not even a little bit. They've properly used their tech to full effect this time. Probably the best looking game of this year even though it doesn't have fancy shmancy RT.

Was the HBCC on Vega a gimmick or will it actually have legs?

It's a great boon when there's games that aren't ****** console ports. It also helped in Wolfenstein 2 & CoD - i.e. games with actual image streaming options. Sometimes it causes issues tho, eg Division 2 crashes at start with it on. Then again the division games are the crappiest games in terms of stability out of any post-90s games.

Not really badly optimised, just lacks the LOD scaling which most games have. Everything no matter the distance will be a 100% detail which is a real performance hog.

Nice to look at for the views, but probably not all that practical.

I can't express enough how much I love this. I just wish something like Odyssey would get such an option. It's so sad when their gorgeous assets are ruined and 3/4ths of the screen is 20kb jpeg lods.

Soldato
City skylines back in the day then, when you had to run mods and models to get it working like a really city, then will all tiles unlocked. Huge vram and system ram right there !!!

Soldato
Ah, i remmeber it well. Had that argument with Rusty and Greg many times in the past. :D

Speaking of Rusty, whatever happened to him? Don't recall seeing him since the hairy buttcheeks of tommy graced this forum. :eek:

^^
Not changed much there:p, Rusty probably chucked it out of boredom when you went all official and had to behave, or the but-cheeks ended him.:D

Wasn't it more 2v3?

I remember reading tons of 2v3 when i i first joined

There was that many archs Nv skimped out on the vram I forgot adding that one too:D, they were all epic poopstorms.

Caporegime
High res textures you say. It's just a shame they're all orange!

I see we've progressed from the "brown years" to at least choosing a different colour to render our monochromatic worlds.

Soldato
I don't know what paneros made the thread for - I've played many games that use over 8gb vram. greedfall is not special

Man of Honour
Finally a game has proper high res textures and doesn't completely butcher the LOD distances. Needless to say this will only continue as we get closer to next-gen consoles where they will have a lot more vram available as well, and with a focus on image streaming/textures it means even 8 GB isn't enough except with gimped textures. And think! This is not even an open world game where this would be even more demanding.

Thankfully, I got the last great AMD card and have no issues thanks to HBCC.

ZdfbRFG.jpg.png

If this game used more than 24GB I would be concerned but at the moment I think I'm safe.:p

Considering how much memory this is using the image quality is not very good.

Soldato
People should not interpret middleware Vbuffer usage as gospel. It's an indication of request rather than actual usage. If the memory is available, more is often allocated than what is needed.

It's all in the frametimes.

Soldato
People should not interpret middleware Vbuffer usage as gospel. It's an indication of request rather than actual usage. If the memory is available, more is often allocated than what is needed.

It's all in the frametimes.

Yep - there are games that use up to 13gb vram on a Radeon VII, yet still run smoother and faster on a 2080ti with less VRAM.
Just because the game fills up the VRAM doesn't mean all of that buffer is integral.

Soldato
If this game used more than 24GB I would be concerned but at the moment I think I'm safe.:p

Considering how much memory this is using the image quality is not very good.

Maybe you have to play it ( I don't know if you have or not) but some of the graphics scenes look stunning to me.

Standing on the dockside looking at men o' war ships in glistening water, had oodles of atmosphere.

Only 6.8gb of Vram usage at 3440x1440p as well, Dishonored 2 uses more Vram and that's been out a couple of years now.

Soldato
OP
Maybe you have to play it ( I don't know if you have or not) but some of the graphics scenes look stunning to me.

Standing on the dockside looking at men o' war ships in glistening water, had oodles of atmosphere.

Only 6.8gb of Vram usage at 3440x1440p as well, Dishonored 2 uses more Vram and that's been out a couple of years now.

Absolutely. When I saw screenshots/videos of the game, I felt the same way as people ragging on it, but when you play it it's much different. I posted that SS for vram usage, not how the game looks but eh I shoulda figured people would go that way with it. Game looks really good, especially in the outdoor areas like where you have the small geysers. It has achieved that painterly look perfectly and imo it's artistically incredible, that's why I think it looks so damn good even though it's not using the latest lighting tech and the like. Can only imagine what they'd achieve with a bigger budget.

i6PeAQ.png

i6PzuM.png

i6obpK.png

I've been looking at the vram more and it seems like as you move through zones the memory doesn't get flushed and that's why it keeps growing bigger, even seen it hit past 11 GB. I imagine that's probably not intended and will be fixed in a patch. It will still require >8GB for maxing it out at 4K though, unless they nerf LODs.

Back
Top Bottom