I'm giving up on motorways

Soldato
I did explain in that post why, but if you cannot reason intelligently then that's your problem.
yeah, and your reasons were why I replied. why do you need to "stare" at speedos, do you have problems understanding numbers? the only reason you'd be that nervous about cameras would be if you're continually greatly speeding.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
"something became more apparent to me and that is how speed cameras are just another hazard that you need to watch out for. This means staring at the speedometer more constantly and that decreases the time looking at the road."
what an utter load of ****. if that's the way you drive you shouldn't be on the roads.

Just use Waze, simply having it running warms you of average zones, cameras, reported incidents etc up ahead so you know exactly what's what. I have it running at all times on the nav regardless of where I'm going just because of the informative convenience of real time alerts.

yeah, and your reasons were why I replied. why do you need to "stare" at speedos, do you have problems understanding numbers? the only reason you'd be that nervous about cameras would be if you're continually greatly speeding.

Nope, no problems understanding numbers, you seem to have issues with words though. My point was more about how just pointing the finger at speed is the wrong way to go unless it is excessive (hence why police don't generally pull over people driving along at 80) and average speed cameras just add another hazard along with all the others on the road as you have to keep checking your speedometer to make sure you aren't creeping above the speed limit, instead of actually concentrating on driving. These other hazards include tailgators, lane hoggers, tractors (granted this is more of an issue on Dual Carriageways, still stands with my driving trip last week though), lorries about to swing out to the fast lane and all these other things you should know you need to watch out for and anticipate, unless of course you are one of those drivers who only pays attention to the end of their nose?

@mrk Waze is probably the way to go to be honest.

Caporegime
Just use Waze, simply having it running warms you of average zones, cameras, reported incidents etc up ahead so you know exactly what's what. I have it running at all times on the nav regardless of where I'm going just because of the informative convenience of real time alerts.

It's great, but you look like a minicab driver constantly prodding the thing to thumbs up stuff :(

Soldato
agree, as he said, being distracted by monitoring the speedo ?, a heads up display or cruise control might help, but, you should drive to the conditions,
and definitely not so close to the legal limit, if you cannot control the speed with your right foot, and have to glance unsafely at the speedo to correct that.
...now I know what people are actually doing on the motorway

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's great, but you look like a minicab driver constantly prodding the thing to thumbs up stuff :(

You don't need to touch anything, just listen to the audio announcement when something is up ahead. So effectively you don't even need to look at the screen.

Soldato
Gave up on Waze, I can't be bothered with all the cartoony social aspects of it. Google maps feels a bit more grown up and seems to incorporate the speed camera warnings and stuff.

Thing is with the average speed I find its hard to excessively speed anyway, I mean by mistake
Most people around you tend to be also following the speed, so unless your clearly travelling a lot quicker then you should be fine.

Also brief spurts at a few over the limit are going to round to practically nothing most of the time unless its a very short spot of average cameras.

I wonder if anyone has a fine from average speed zones here. I must admit I dont know anyone who has, despite knowing people who definately drive more than that limit. I suspect its something along the same lines as a normal speeding charge before they would actually ticket. So imagine if your average is 53 or something in a 50 you still wouldn't be getting a fine.
TBH if you cant manage to keep to pretty much the limit during these zones then you should arguably not be driving anyway, your failing at one of the pretty much key requirements to start off, capably controlling the vehicle ;)

Gave up on Waze, I can't be bothered with all the cartoony social aspects of it. Google maps feels a bit more grown up and seems to incorporate the speed camera warnings and stuff.

Does googlemaps handle the traffic side, its the biggest benefit of Waze I find. Its really good at diversions based on other users using waze getting stuck

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have dark mode enabled all the time in t and it loks much better than the daytime theme. No problem with how it looks TBH. Yeah the icons are a little rounded and iPhone-ish but it works well enough and looks smart.

Does googlemaps handle the traffic side, its the biggest benefit of Waze I find. Its really good at diversions based on other users using waze getting stuck

Rerouting based on congestion/closures etc in real time will always be superior on Waze until Google import those features into Google Nav. I don't see what's taking so long since Google owned Waze for some time now.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
You don't need to touch anything, just listen to the audio announcement when something is up ahead. So effectively you don't even need to look at the screen.
That ****** me off on motorways - camera, yes I know. Camera, yes I know. Camera, yes I know...

Useful for cities I don't know, although google maps got thay now, never liked Waze.

Rerouting based on congestion/closures etc in real time will always be superior on Waze until Google import those features into Google Nav. I don't see what's taking so long since Google owned Waze for some time now.
Google always gets me there under ETA, waze always over ETA.

Ok thanks, sticking with Waze then, thats for me the biggest plus.
Its why Waze is still better than most in built as they seem slow to react. Like my other halfs new Beemer, I was using waze and it diverted us off and the BM system was still happily saying we would get to our destination on time.
Some friends ended up stuck in traffic that had been there a while, something defiantely changed in the UK, I used to have a satnav that reacted quickly to these issues, now they seem to take foreveeeer to know there is an issue mid route.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Troubled upbringing for starters no doubt. Possibly bullied also. Hard to believe people are born like that. People maybe have some level of potential but usually there's a trigger that sparks it off similar to people with schizophrenia.

That ****** me off on motorways - camera, yes I know. Camera, yes I know. Camera, yes I know...

The camera alert only chimes in if you're over the designated limit of that road or maybe even on it exactly according to GPS, basically when the map view speed is red, you're at the limitand camera warnings will chime in. Otherwise it stays as a pulsating icon on the map ahead.

Google always gets me there under ETA, waze always over ETA.

Hmm not in my experience. I have over 30k miles in Google Nav and 60k miles in Waze and Waze's routing has always favoured quicker shortcuts when needed based on the routes other Wazers have taken in the same areas.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
The camera alert only chimes in if you're over the designated limit of that road or maybe even on it exactly according to GPS, basically when the map view speed is red, you're at the limitand camera warnings will chime in. Otherwise it stays as a pulsating icon on the map ahead.
Very annoying. The variable cameras on the motorway are too frequent and mostly inactive. If there was a way to customize ignore then it would be useful.

Hmm not in my experience. I have over 30k miles in Google Nav and 60k miles in Waze and Waze's routing has always favoured quicker shortcuts when needed based on the routes other Wazers have taken in the same areas.
Ok just for you, and out of my own curiosity, I will use waze for the rest of this week and see how I get on :)

Soldato

To be honest I don't use either day to day, but I thought they were built off pretty much the same architecture anyway. Never had any trouble with Google though, it offers rerouting on the fly and warns of speed cameras too.

Soldato

Why ye quote?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

I really wish that they would. Waze is clearly the best navigation around, but i just cannot stand the look and feel of it. As a result i end up using google maps, which i really like, but lacks the navigation features in traffic that Waze has. This results in me using Waze for brief periods in heavy traffic when trying to escape London at peak times, then switching back to google maps. Annoying :(

Back
Top Bottom