Which Samsung TV?

Soldato
Hey Guys,

We've got a promotion running at work with some nice discounts on Samsung TVs. I have the below options - which would you choose? I'm happy to spend up to £1.5k, but only if it gets something pretty special.
  • 65" RU7400 £696
  • 2019 65" Q80R £1,500
  • The Frame 2019 65"£1,499
  • 65" RU8000 £799
  • 2019 65" Q60R £876
  • 2019 65" Q70R £1,349
Which represents the best back for buck, do you think?

Soldato
My quick take, depends what your after I would largely say, I think there are two categories really.

I would ignore the Frame TV outright, inferior specs vs the similarly priced 80R and is mostly about aesthetics really. Even then the QLED's all have that ambient mode so give you most the stuff the frame does anyways.

First category is the Q80R and Q70R are both FALD TV's hence the jump in price vs the other TVs. Between those two, the small increase in price to the Q80R is worth it. More brightness, more Local dimming zones etc.

The next category is the RU7400, RU8000 and 60R. All are edge lit with incremental upgrades as you go up. At that point, I would say the 60R is worth the small price increase vs the other two. Brighter, better processor, response time, but is slightly down on black levels.

With all that said, if you do look at the 80R, I would also take a peek at OLED's at that price. Can get some OLED's at around that price point. For most people an OLED will usually work out better given the similar price. Personally after auditioning an OLED vs QLED in my room, I went QLED route as I have a bright room and / or lots of ambient lights and prefer the brightness level the TV could reach, but if that was not that case, an OLED would have been what I would have picked up and they do fall inline with that 80R price, even with your discount. Could drop lower I suspect with Black Friday.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would say Q80R if you aren't going to be bothered by possible blooming in dark scenes, the Q90R is meant to be much better though as it has far more dimming zones.

OLED makes QLED look really poor value if you can manage its own weaknesses though (retention/possible burn in), last years models are ~£1200 and they will probably be better than the £2300 Q90R overall.

Associate
I bought the Samsung Q80R recently.

I went into the shop with the intention of buying an OLED panel but came out with the Q80R.

I spent a good 2 hours in the shop watching various content across the Sony/Samsung/LG OLED/QLED range. Believe me I wanted to get an OLED (because that's the fashion innit!), I read lots of review heralding QLED as the best thing ever, blacks to die for etc etc. But in the end, I preferred the IQ from the Q80R at that price point.

I also have the 7400 too. Nice TV, cheap and good IQ. Just used for the PS4 pro that one.

Associate
IMO avoid the large screen, low priced edge lit Samsungs. Had to return 2 65MU6400's due to degraded panels (the brand new replacement to my original panel degraded in a matter of months). I ended up with an OLED as part of the 'credit' and I am very happy with it.

Try to see then in a demo first if possible.

Back
Top Bottom