*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
Glad I got my XS last year. It's the one iPhone where I genuinely don't want any more features, it has everything I want. This year was just another iteration of that design.

Going to keep this XS for a few years until 5G has matured, then I'll jump to the 5G iPhone.

Associate
Can’t understand why they’re ditching the XS in favour of the XR. Presumably they are sacking off the XS to keep up the sales of the R since that was their best selling phone since last year and people who are in the market for an S are more likely to get an 11. Dunno.
Probably won’t get either and stick with my 6s until the 12 comes out and I feel like spending 1k+ on a phone.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Can’t understand why they’re ditching the XS in favour of the XR. Presumably they are sacking off the XS to keep up the sales of the R since that was their best selling phone since last year and people who are in the market for an S are more likely to get an 11. Dunno.
Probably won’t get either and stick with my 6s until the 12 comes out and I feel like spending 1k+ on a phone.

Because the 11 is sitting at the same or better price than the XS would be.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone noticed the ultra wide camera doesn't have OIS or use the 'new' sensor'? It lets in more light so I guess it could have a faster shutter speed but would you expect to see a slightly softer picture using it?

It also has less lens elements (5 vs 6), though I'm not really sure how that plays in spec wise.

Will be interesting reading the reviews.

Soldato
OP
It’s just speculation at the moment.

From what I have seen there hasn’t been any component leaks and it’s just from ‘people in the know’. That said it is overdue a refresh, especially because of the keyboard. The trends of removing bezels have lead to the 16” (wider but not taller, like a surface device) narrative gaining traction.

Some of what was said about the 11 was wrong, just saying.

Soldato
I see the enormous increase in battery life as a precursor to 5g, it's a big selling point this year (the biggest jump in battery life in a decade) but they will need to get the A14 chip to half as much power again to support good battery life for 5g.....5g power drains enormously.

Soldato
I think this year is the first year Apple are using their own power controller which would explain some of the battery life improvements, guessing the 11 Pro will be a good 5 hours more than my X.

looks like 6GB of RAM in the Pro phones too.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I see the enormous increase in battery life as a precursor to 5g, it's a big selling point this year (the biggest jump in battery life in a decade) but they will need to get the A14 chip to half as much power again to support good battery life for 5g.....5g power drains enormously.

Yeah, I saw a little preview of 5G from MKHB or whatever he is called on youtube and basically it was awful and drained battery like there was no tomorrow. This is why apple don't always implement features straight away. Bi-directional charging is meant to be really in-efficient as well which is probably why they haven't added that to the new iPhones.

Soldato
Still happy with my iPhone X it does all I need and takes stunning pictures so I won’t be upgrading any time soon. I do like the new watch though so might treat myself at a later date.

Soldato
Associate
Extra memory is actually pretty decent. Double to what my X has. Tempted now, as it's annoying when websites or apps constantly close or refresh.

Back
Top Bottom