Smart Meters

Soldato
My smart meter has gone dumb since a switch to eon. Eon say there will be an over the air update by the end of the year so it works ? Finding this hard to believe unless someone here knows better ?

Soldato
My smart meter has gone dumb since a switch to eon. Eon say there will be an over the air update by the end of the year so it works ? Finding this hard to believe unless someone here knows better ?
Engineer installed another SMETS 1 meter at mine last week and said the same thing. He didn't have any second generation meters... useful!

Soldato

This is true but it depends on the make/brand of smets1 meter you have as to if it can be added to the Smets2 network.

Soldato
A further update on my smart meter issue if anyone is interested. I did a lot of forum searching when I was trying to figure this out so just in case anyone else is having the same issue. I eventually raised an official complaint. Surprisingly enough, it then started working. The IHD still wasn't showing anything but they did some more messing around at their end and that sorted it out. Hopefully it all keeps working as it should. Of course if these things worked out of the box then it would save everyone a lot of time and hassle!

Had mine installed last Thursday and it's only displaying the gas symbol, pressing the button does nothing. EDF say they haven't had the details from the installer yet. :confused:

Associate
Had mine installed last Thursday and it's only displaying the gas symbol, pressing the button does nothing. EDF say they haven't had the details from the installer yet. :confused:

I’ve the exact problem with my EDF display. I phoned up edf 3 or 4 days after the installation of smart meters to tell them it’s only showing gas consumption but they fobbed me off saying that will send an update to show me both. That was nearly two months ago. The display has now been off for the past month and I’ve got no plans to turn it back on

Soldato
It takes two weeks to fully activate on the system, that's just the DCC sending the info back to EDF that's normal. One week for the setup data to go from our toughpads to EDF and another weeks for the data to be linked to the DCC account that was created when the installer activated the Comms on the Meter.

Soldato
2 weeks, I wish. Bulb installed ours at the beginning of April and they still dont work properly. After numerous complaints and months of estimated billing its Ombudsman time

The whole industry should be utterly ashamed of the shambolic deployment of smets2, they learned nothing from the smets1 rollout debacle
It's nothing to do with the suppliers, it's all about the DCC and the communication from them to the suppliers.

Soldato
It takes two weeks to fully activate on the system, that's just the DCC sending the info back to EDF that's normal. One week for the setup data to go from our toughpads to EDF and another weeks for the data to be linked to the DCC account that was created when the installer activated the Comms on the Meter.

Ok thanks for that, I'll sit tight and see what happens.:)

Soldato
I’ve the exact problem with my EDF display. I phoned up edf 3 or 4 days after the installation of smart meters to tell them it’s only showing gas consumption but they fobbed me off saying that will send an update to show me both. That was nearly two months ago. The display has now been off for the past month and I’ve got no plans to turn it back on

That's poor considering the amount of pressure to have the thing installed.

Soldato
That pressure is down to the government threatening the profit margins of the power companies. They just have to get them in, there's nothing about doing a good job or making the meters work properly.

Making them work is nothing to do with the supplier, our hand are tied by the DCC and the processes supplied by them to commission a meter.

And after the last 6 weeks in collage I have had cramming a 20week gas course to get my ACS MET1 and so on, training is a huge part of our job, I hold so many certifications now I have two ring binders full of stuff, on top of that we have internal competency hearing every year to make sure we are still up to speed. Trust me doing a good proper job is paramount! No matter how long it takes or how rough the installation is to begin with we have very strict guidelines to adhear to.

Last edited:
Associate
It's nothing to do with the suppliers, it's all about the DCC and the communication from them to the suppliers.
I helped design the approach, commercial model for the DCC, then the procurement for the company that runs it.

These issues are not exactly what we had in mind at the time (2011). It's a bit frustrating to read this thread...

Soldato
I helped design the approach, commercial model for the DCC, then the procurement for the company that runs it.

These issues are not exactly what we had in mind at the time (2011). It's a bit frustrating to read this thread...

Its the communication I find poor. There was no mention of a long delay by EDF or the installer for the display to become functional and further contact with the supplier has proved pretty useless.

Man of Honour
Had a email from Bulb yesterday saying they are fitting smart meters in my area and to phone them for an appointment. No thank you. There is no way I am having one until all these problems are sorted out and Bulb were having a lot of problems. It's not as if it will save me any money anyway because gas and electricity use is already as low as I can get it. The biggest reduction was swapping all of the lighting to led bulbs.

Soldato
Its the communication I find poor. There was no mention of a long delay by EDF or the installer for the display to become functional and further contact with the supplier has proved pretty useless.
erh .. but the reporting of the readings is working to the supplier nonetheless ? which is its principal raison d'etre

maybe an expert will explain, but, is an in house display failure down to the DCC, or moreover just the firmware needs patching.

as I commented before, limited capability of the inhouse displays (I want an app where I can see a minute by minute graph of usage) is why I'm not interested in a smart meter yet.

Back
Top Bottom