New build for £1200-1300

Associate
Hello!

I started a thread a bit ago about a new build for a little less money that needed to be Mini ITX. I think having looked into it with the advice of the kind people here, and with a bit of research on my own, I just feel like i'm going to have to fork out quite a bit for a motherboard (that's habitually out of stock) for a system that doesn't NEED to be smaller. I just thought it might be the next natural step from a full tower.

I think what i'm looking for is something windowed, that looks sleek and smart, that isn't overwhelmingly big. :)

I was erring on the side of team green for the GPU, although if you can convince me that I should go AMD instead, i'm more than happy to.

Also, i've managed to sell my old system to a friend which has done nice things to my budget.

I will need everything other than hard drives (have m.2 and hdd), monitor and peripherals.

I'm gaming at 1440p 144hz.

Hit me hard.

Soldato
The MSI B450 Mortar MAX is due out very soon ~£100 and would fulfil your brief/budget perfectly

This again is another refreshed quality MSI 450 board (Zen 2 compatible out of the box) - but this time micro-ATX. So, not as small as mini-ITX but also, when paired with the right case, significantly smaller than a regular midi tower build. It's a decent compromise.

And 5700XT makes perfect sense now the AIBs are out - looking over your old thread.

Can you wait a bit longer for motherboard release? - not searched for a definitive release date but can't imagine it will be long.

Associate
OP
oh that looks perfect doesn't it? i'll do some research into it.

what case would you recommend? and i guess i'd be looking at one of the smaller 5700XTs? again, any single one to look at particularly?

yeah, i'm away next week so wouldn't necessarily be rushing! :)

Soldato
and i guess i'd be looking at one of the smaller 5700XTs?
Not necessarily - you can get full size cards in most micro-ATX cases - it really can be the best of both worlds.

what case would you recommend?
Depends - i like the NZXT H400 - but annoyingly pricey compared to the H500. The Fractal Design or Meshy are nice designs.

Some examples to compare looks:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Soldato
Hello!

I started a thread a bit ago about a new build for a little less money that needed to be Mini ITX. I think having looked into it with the advice of the kind people here, and with a bit of research on my own, I just feel like i'm going to have to fork out quite a bit for a motherboard (that's habitually out of stock) for a system that doesn't NEED to be smaller. I just thought it might be the next natural step from a full tower.

I think what i'm looking for is something windowed, that looks sleek and smart, that isn't overwhelmingly big. :)

I was erring on the side of team green for the GPU, although if you can convince me that I should go AMD instead, i'm more than happy to.

Also, i've managed to sell my old system to a friend which has done nice things to my budget.

I will need everything other than hard drives (have m.2 and hdd), monitor and peripherals.

I'm gaming at 1440p 144hz.

Hit me hard.

itx style , @tamzzy and myself rocking the case

Total: £1,224.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)

go crucial SPORT 3200HZ ram and overclock for £80

gaming oc rx 5700xt should just fit ! also only one to have 3 yr warranty vs 2 of the rest
smaller psu to make cabling easier!
Total: £1,143.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

if not, MSI B450 matx+ silverstone case for airflow at cheaper price mentioned and your sorted !​

Soldato
itx style , @tamzzy and myself rocking the case
>snip<
Hehe - you've tried before Orbi - Clicky

*Will try and find time to look/reply to your build log later.

The MSI B450 Mortar MAX is due out very soon ~£100 and would fulfil your brief/budget perfectly

This again is another refreshed quality MSI 450 board (Zen 2 compatible out of the box) - but this time micro-ATX. So, not as small as mini-ITX but also, when paired with the right case, significantly smaller than a regular midi tower build. It's a decent compromise.
The MSI B450 Mortar mATX is in stock and this coupled with a 3600/3700x, 16Gb memory, 5700XT etc and case of your liking will keep you in budget and revised form factor/size.

Motherboard :

Soldato
so we're definitely saying 5700XT over the 2070 SUPER? if so, which one am i looking at as one that's standing out above the rest? or isn't there? :)

am very tempted to shell out a little more for the 3700x...

Gamers nexus has rated Gaming OC from Gigabyte well. Also has extra year warranty to the rest. Yet their RTX version has 4 yes Vs 3 .
Just depends on your pricing . 3700x is a nice push for life span

Soldato
AT 1440p the 5700XT is the best bang for buck at 1440p.

It has performance parity with the 2070S, not bogged down with ray tracing, which won't be fully realised until the next release of cards (maybe), plus the GPU is the one component you will upgrade first - ignoring potential failures. So, spending £100 less on a component with comparable performance which you may swap out within 3 years is a solid choice - but obviously your choice. Plus, if you get the Gigabyte Gaming it's a quality card with decent warranty.

What case are you leaning towards and are you still after RGB? (trying to remember the other thread).

Associate
OP
AT 1440p the 5700XT is the best bang for buck at 1440p.

It has performance parity with the 2070S, not bogged down with ray tracing, which won't be fully realised until the next release of cards (maybe), plus the GPU is the one component you will upgrade first - ignoring potential failures. So, spending £100 less on a component with comparable performance which you may swap out within 3 years is a solid choice - but obviously your choice. Plus, if you get the Gigabyte Gaming it's a quality card with decent warranty.

What case are you leaning towards and are you still after RGB? (trying to remember the other thread).

Yeah I think it might be the way to go. Obviously had my head turned a little with ray tracing which is about as typical as it gets but at the end of the day I'd much rather go for bang for buck.

For the case: I have had my eyes on the NZXT ones since I started looking at the upgrade. I'd like to mess about with RBG but again it probably isn't the deal breaker that I'd first considered it to be.

as @Plec mentioned, best £££ - specially if you need to get a Snc tech screen , either 75hz or above is a LOT cheaper for Team RED!

Yeah I'm at 1440p 144hz so I guess team red is the way forward.

Can't remember the last time I had an AMD card!

Back
Top Bottom