• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Big news for Nvidia/LG 2019 C9/E9 OLED owners - G-sync is coming!

Caporegime
I've just taken a look at the price of that LG TV mentioned above, and :eek: at the price!

They do a 55" screen though which might be within my budget.

Soldato
I've just taken a look at the price of that LG TV mentioned above, and :eek: at the price!

They do a 55" screen though which might be within my budget.

In the world of tv's the prices fall fast. Could be half the price when next years models come out.

For example my q8 was £2400 on release 1 year ago and I picked it up brand new for £1100.

Soldato
As above surely something like this much better than playing on your lap.

https://ibb.co/hYVY0q2

Another pic
https://ibb.co/ykq3BCg

Not at all. But in those pics I don't see leg-rest, and that's the difference probably. Having keyboard on lap with like a sofa-chair extended is the most comfortable, even more than on desk for me. I've played around with various setups but this right now is unbeatable for me.

Soldato
Not at all. But in those pics I don't see leg-rest, and that's the difference probably. Having keyboard on lap with like a sofa-chair extended is the most comfortable, even more than on desk for me. I've played around with various setups but this right now is unbeatable for me.

Yeah, I sit up.

I use wireless mouse on my arm rest mainly and just have the little table for keyboard and mic.

Soldato
Not understanding what Iv'e been saying with'could have', so I'll leave it there.:)

Not sure how I missed your reply.

I know what you are trying to imply. But, you are still incorrect in your thinking, Maxwell cards could not work with adaptive sync monitors, they don't have the hardware. It would have cost them nothing to make it available for Maxwell cards when they finally started using adaptive sync. It would have gained them a ton of kudos. But, the simple fact is, they couldn't enable it on Maxwell cards as Maxwell cards aren't compatible with Display port 1.2a.

Were they going to recall every Maxwell card and install a timing controller and framebuffer into the display port of each one if competition had been stronger? I don't think so.

It was only when Pascal cards came out that the big push to support adaptive sync started as techy people started disassembling the cards and found out that, yes, Pascal cards did actually support Adaptive sync, if Nvidia ever released a driver for it.

I'll leave it there too. ;):)

Associate
So even though Pascal cards have HDMI 2.0 Nvidia only enabling this feature for the Turing cards.....ffs.
Nvidia are using the HDMI VRR function which is a HDMI 2.1 only feature (it's not Freesyncand is currently only really supported by the Xbox One). This could indicate that the HDMI controller on Turing cards is more capable than initially thought. Sony were able to bring HDR support to the original PS4 as even though the HDMI controller had been designed to support the HDMI 1.4 specs, it was engineered to support HDMI 2.0 level bandwidth and a firmware update enabled this. It is not beyond reason that the HDMI controller on Turing parts is capable of meeting HDMI 2.1 requirements whereas the older Pascal based parts are not.

Not everything Nvidia do is evil.

Soldato
I really hope Nvidia enable the freesync to work with my 2018 samsung and gtx 1080.

But reading comments above got bit worried now.

Associate
Nvidia are using the HDMI VRR function which is a HDMI 2.1 only feature (it's not Freesyncand is currently only really supported by the Xbox One). This could indicate that the HDMI controller on Turing cards is more capable than initially thought. Sony were able to bring HDR support to the original PS4 as even though the HDMI controller had been designed to support the HDMI 1.4 specs, it was engineered to support HDMI 2.0 level bandwidth and a firmware update enabled this. It is not beyond reason that the HDMI controller on Turing parts is capable of meeting HDMI 2.1 requirements whereas the older Pascal based parts are not.

Perhaps, but i'd like to see some proof of the additional capability that the hdmi controller has with Turing cards. As it stands both 1080ti / 2080ti have HDMI 2.0b ports listed in specs, so I am going from that. Would be nice if Nvidia could clarify this, but I doubt they will.

Soldato
It really wasn't and if you truly believe that it was then you do t really understand the technology at all.

Just because the software solution now works nearly as well as the hardware solution, doesn't make the hardware solution a marketing ploy. It just makes it almost obsolete, well certainly on its last legs anyway.

We had a big heated argument in this very forum not long ago, when I was saying Pascal & Turing on hardware level have the ability to work on Adaptive Sync (aka Freesync) products.
And that Nvidia is just scamming everyone by marketing their expensive module as must have.

You and Gregster were adamant that would never ever be the case....... I can dig the discussions if needed. :)

bru

bru

Soldato
We had a big heated argument in this very forum not long ago, when I was saying Pascal & Turing on hardware level have the ability to work on Adaptive Sync (aka Freesync) products.
And that Nvidia is just scamming everyone by marketing their expensive module as must have.

You and Gregster were adamant that would never ever be the case....... I can dig the discussions if needed. :)

Please feel free to point out me saying "that would never be the case", as I know I say a lot of stupid things at times but I certainly don't think I would be so bold as to say that Nvidia would never do something.

Soldato

I asked Nvidia support if they were doing a firmware or driver update to support hdmi 2.1 and they just said they can’t comment

Soldato
Perhaps, but i'd like to see some proof of the additional capability that the hdmi controller has with Turing cards. As it stands both 1080ti / 2080ti have HDMI 2.0b ports listed in specs, so I am going from that. Would be nice if Nvidia could clarify this, but I doubt they will.

I’ve recently learned that the marketing name like “hdmi 2.0” is meaningless when talking about hardware support - it comes down to the hdmi controller that’s on the board - that determines how much bandwidth and which features can be used. “Hdmi 2.0” is just a marketing name to describe a set of features that is guaranteed

If the hdmi controller on Turing is able to support some hdmi 2.1 features then they can enable them as they see fit. All we know is that they are enabled HDMI Forum VRR which is a single feature from HDMI 2.1 and is one of the easier things to implement. We've seen this recently on Samsung TV's - they've enabled some of the more basic features. The most challenging is trying to update the controller to support 4k 120hz @ 4:4:4 10bit HDR

Last edited:
Soldato
now what you are trying to imply. But, you are still incorrect in your thinking, Maxwell cards could not work with adaptive sync monitors, they don't have the hardware.

We know there was no hardware support onboard.

1 more time, 'could have' had the hardware included in the controller design/hdmi stage on board in stead of not is what you aren't acknowledging I'm saying.

If they needed to they would have on second gen Maxwell (980 and after)

No one needs to agree but it's not hard to grasp what I was hypothetically talking about.:)

Soldato
We know there was no hardware support onboard.

1 more time, 'could have' had the hardware included in the controller design/hdmi stage on board in stead of not is what you aren't acknowledging I'm saying.

If they needed to they would have on second gen Maxwell (980 and after)

No one needs to agree but it's not hard to grasp what I was hypothetically talking about.:)

EDIT: Incomplete post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom