How much Twitch Streamers Make (and the insanity)

Caporegime
I remember you from my enquiry regarding next gen-featured 4K-TVs and the possibility of 4K with HDMI 2.0 and VRR at non-exorbitant prices, and you insisting I must go full 4K HDR right now or GTFO, and that the fact I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide for my PC was evidence that I was willfully neglecting my duty to drop a grand on a TV for the only thing I watch right now - my Sky HD box. Basically you're a toxic ******* who I quickly decided your input was irrelevant even discussing TVs.

Taking as an example (what with the Wow Classic release and it's queues), I've been watching Asmongold quite a bit. The guy is emotionally labile, yet coherent. That's about it as far as I can see as being his selling point. Plus he has facial twitches and everyone's gagging on his 'reaction' to whatever.

Where I said earlier that a streamer threaten to quit unless certain monetary milestones are made, that related to my viewing of Asmondgold suddenly deciding he needs x thouand of subs pouring in and saying that's what needs to be done (I believe he got an extra 2K in a few minutes as the lemmings rushed forward to do so).

Fast forward to many other BS moments, and people are trading him the mediocre gold they've saved on WoW Classic and sometimes there's the pretense of genuine thanks, and other times there's a rage of some sort that it's been too little or too much, calling the donator every swear word under the sun. Aka emotional lability, and spectacle for his viewers.

My question centres on why anyone donates to anyone like this (with real money or in game currency). I'm even wondering if it's purely the American culture of celebrity going on, as I'm not yet hearing of EU streamers pulling the same BS on anything like that scale yet, not that I'm exactly looking for it.

Oh you're the guy who wanted a TV with next gen hdmi yet had a budget of £20.

Truth hurts you it seems.

Like I said before reeking of jealousy.

Caporegime
Oh you're the guy who wanted a TV with next gen hdmi yet had a budget of £20.

Truth hurts you it seems.

Like I said before reeking of jealousy.
Money doesn't make something right or wrong.

Lots of money is made illegally and we don't celebrate it.

People could pay someone to cut themselves all day long and it wouldn't be a good thing.

People are weird, and that money finds its way into this equation is not surprising.

The end result being that people spend money on weird things.

That someone is making a lot of money says nothing about whether it's a good thing or not.

People are free to define good vs bad outside of considerations of how profitable it could be. Or everyone would be a drug dealer.

Soldato
Wouldn't it make more sense to become a YouTuber rather than a twitch streamer? You don't even need an enormous amount of views per day to make £ as they have the entire Google ads platform that pays out its content creators. And I can imagine it's a lot less maintenance than having to play to an 8-10 hour a day schedule in the hope people subscribe.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
(one user on here got very triggered after the last time I posted the above image to the point where he started stalking me, I wonder if it was a bit too close to home)

Online stalking or physical? You better watch your back, they probably studied the blade, too :p

Caporegime
That's right! I wanted a £20 TV, not a discussion of where high refresh rates vs HDR vs VRR in TVs might be in the near future, or possible bargains to be had getting ahead of that curve in the 42"+ range on HDMI 2.0 depending on usage.

Truly a nimrod you are. Seen other posts on this forum of you staggering around offering BS advice and riling folks up.

I'll regard top revenue earning streamers with definite curiosity, and I've hopefully made it clear that the psychological phenomenon (and fallacy) that causes people to be stupid when it comes to mega-streamers, often inviting insult to injury in exchange for being a part of their phenomenon by donating, is of interest to me. I'd quite like it to be stopped actually. It's clearly warped some WoW Classic servers and therefore many minds.

Just ignore @Psycho Sonny , most people do.

Caporegime
Wouldn't it make more sense to become a YouTuber rather than a twitch streamer? You don't even need an enormous amount of views per day to make £ as they have the entire Google ads platform that pays out its content creators. And I can imagine it's a lot less maintenance than having to play to an 8-10 hour a day schedule in the hope people subscribe.

No it wouldn't. Youtube has cut down a lot of the revenue people can make and only people they like now tend to very well. In fact a lot of videos have been de monetised.

Also Ninja apparently received millions of pounds to switch from twitch to another platform money he would never make on youtube.

OP seems to be focusing on WOW which is for hobbits and nerds. Whereas I'm trying to explain to him twitch is far bigger than one game played by sweat encrusted obese virgins.

In fact Dr Disrespects latest youtube video explains how WoW is bad for streamers and could end his career.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it wouldn't. Youtube has cut down a lot of the revenue people can make and only people they like now tend to very well. In fact a lot of videos have been de monetised.

Also Ninja apparently received millions of pounds to switch from twitch to another platform money he would never make on youtube.

OP seems to be focusing on WOW which is for hobbits and nerds. Whereas I'm trying to explain to him twitch is far bigger than one game played by sweat encrusted obese virgins.

In fact Dr Disrespects latest youtube video explains how WoW is bad for streamers and could end his career.

I've been playing WoW classic for the past 3 weeks, there's a reason loads of people are, I like DrDisrespect but he has no idea about WoW. I'm also in decent shape and a lot of WoW players don't follow the stereotype.

Soldato

Was speaking more about the average joe to make a quick buck rather than the top end of it. I get that twitch is very lucrative for some streamers.

Soldato
If you're female and have a half decent set of norks, you're golden. Dye your hair pink, wear a tight anime outfit and talk nonsense while you play any semi-popular game. People will literally throw money at you. Bizarre

Caporegime
Was speaking more about the average joe to make a quick buck rather than the top end of it. I get that twitch is very lucrative for some streamers.

To make money off YouTube you need to have a certain level of subscribers and views etc regularly.

I play csgo with a mate who makes £50 a month off twitch.

At his level he wouldn't make anything on YouTube.

Soldato
To make money off YouTube you need to have a certain level of subscribers and views etc regularly.

That's fair enough. That's 10 paying subs per month?

On the youtube front, I think to make the same amount of £ you'd need around 3000-4000 views a day on all of your videos.

V F

V F

Soldato

Odd, I don't have many subscribers nor views and monetization is available to me. I've never activated it because it was never really my plan.

Caporegime
Odd, I don't have many subscribers nor views and monetization is available to me. I've never activated it because it was never really my plan.

What would be the downsides to activating it?

You could then see exactly how it works. I believe you need more than X amount of views before it starts paying out then you get more for having a certain level of subscriber base too.

I don't have many views or subs either it's not open to me. So you must have more than what I do.

Caporegime

You could then see exactly how it works. I believe you need more than X amount of views before it starts paying out then you get more for having a certain level of subscriber base too.

I don't have many views or subs either it's not open to me. So you must have more than what I do.

No requirements, just activate it.

V F

V F

Soldato

I've just been reading. Definitely do not.

Though, I've had my account since 2006.

Qualifying for YouTube Monetization
First, to qualify for monetization, your channel has to have at least 4,000 hours of watch time within the last year and at least 1,000 subscribers. This policy went into effect at the beginning of 2018 and is another way for YouTube to prioritize watch time (as opposed to view count, which was the platform’s previous focus). “Watch time” is the total number of hours users have spent watching your channel’s videos. Since YouTube ultimately wants to keep users on the platform for as long as possible, watch time has become more and more valuable to creators.

https://blog.storyblocks.com/creators/how-to-enable-youtube-monetization/

Caporegime
Soldato
Personally I don't see a problem with it, although I find some of the content a bit weird! A guy I follow on youtube ( for keto) has, I think, 1.7 million subscribers and seems to put out daily videos.I assume he's making a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom