The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
How do you find it so far? I am tempted to pick it up as a hiking lens. :)

Cheaply built (very plastic) compared to the Zeiss or the Sigma Art range, focus ring turns the wrong way and also in the front instead the back ring. So it's double wrong way round.

Optically and size it is brilliant. It zooms internally vs the external in the 16-35. Size is perfect for the body. Although the rear lens cap is deeper than the Sony ones.

However it isn't that much difference I feel in the 17-28 range, like I want it to go a bit more but it does pair well with the 28-75.

eHcjpv0.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
after 2 months of waiting on pre-order, my camera upgrade has finally arrived :)

Enjoy :) I was lucky to get mine a few weeks ago and I'm really pleased with it. The pixel shift is impressive if you get it right but the Sony software is terrible so I'd suggest third party software for that.

Caporegime
Shocked at how awful the Sony A7riv is with the Sony 135mm GM :p

_DSC1105 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC1066 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC1049 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC1035 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC1028 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC1006 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC0274
by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

_DSC0079 by Howard Pearson, on Flickr

Although I will say I really really struggled finding the right settings for BIF. My failure rate was about 80% and normally with my A7iii it's only 20% max. Will have to have a play around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a nightmare last night, took me 20 minutes to work out why I couldn't get the AF to work on the Sony 90mm macro, soon realised I had the AF/MF ring set to MF. :D

Caporegime
Tack sharp! Was this using animal eye AF?

On the stationary bird shots, eye focus yes. On the flying shots I was trying every version of the tracking focus and failing miserably so had animal eye focus switch off. On my A7iii I used to nail 80% of shots. On the A7riv I am only getting abut 20%. Need to spend more time studying the settings. It really shouldnt be worse.

On stationary birds the animal eye focus nailed it every time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom