Road Cycling

Soldato
Think I may have offended someone last night, was on my way home and passed a guy riding a Colnago, had a look at it and the Downtube was massive, asked him if it was an e-Bike, at which point he seemed a bit miffed and said no way, then proved his masculinity by sprinting away from the lights :D Turns out it was a Colnago Concept. Which I must say is not a terribly good looking bike. Especially when Colnago usually push out very pretty things.

Soldato
Congratulations. :)

I've had my input into the spec but happy to help here if needed. If you buy a groupset, we will need to know more details about yourself so we can advise the crank length and teeth + cassette spacing.
Remember, if you buy things yourself you will need tools to build it. Id recommend giving it to your local bike shop and let them do it in this instance.

Thanks... and thanks :) Help is appreciated as I'm in unknown territory here.

What do you need to know? I'm 6'3, around 100kg. I think I'm mainly after wheels first, unless it makes it easier to do everything in one go? Do the wheels and groupset need to be compatible? And yes, I was thinking to get someone to put it all together for me :)

Soldato
Thanks... and thanks :) Help is appreciated as I'm in unknown territory here.

What do you need to know? I'm 6'3, around 100kg. I think I'm mainly after wheels first, unless it makes it easier to do everything in one go? Do the wheels and groupset need to be compatible? And yes, I was thinking to get someone to put it all together for me :)

any shimano 11 speed compatible rim brake wheels will do. shimano compatible 11 speed is basically the default for new decent wheels now so it should be fairly easy.

Soldato
at 100kg you will be on the limit of some wheels so may be worth waiting to buy some if you're still losing weight (which I think you are by sounds of it), and especially with winter coming, use the old rubbish ones for now and kill them and have some lovely summer wheels ready for next April....May....Ok British Summer - August it is...

Soldato
What do you need to know? I'm 6'3, around 100kg.

At 6'3, you'll be looking at 175 size crank length. (Assuming that your inside leg length is in proportion).
And at that weight, you'll want an 11-32 or an 11-34 cassette with an 34/50 teeth chainset.
Unless you like grinding things out on the hills - I dont.

Anything smaller and you're going into cyclecross equipment. What i've listed is just standard shimano road kit.

Soldato
What cycle computers are you guys using currently? Sold mine when I sold the Planet X so should probably get another. Was looking at the Wahoo Elemnt and Edge 520. Any of you using a quad lock and using phones instead?

Buying a new bike is never just the bike cost, glad I at least saved some money to now spend it back on extras. Haha.

Soldato
What cycle computers are you guys using currently? Sold mine when I sold the Planet X so should probably get another. Was looking at the Wahoo Elemnt and Edge 520. Any of you using a quad lock and using phones instead?

Buying a new bike is never just the bike cost, glad I at least saved some money to now spend it back on extras. Haha.
Bought a used Samsung Xcover 3, a cheap cover, a Garmin mount adaptor and an after-market Garmin handlebar bracket.

Cost me about £25 and does what I need.

It's about the same size (volume) as a Wahoo Roam, but with a much bigger screen, and the ability to make calls and take photos.

Soldato
Edit: sod it, gone for it!
You won't be disappointed! Hydraulics where a revelation for me, I can't imagine riding anything else now but my only comparison where cable rim brakes as never ridden cable discs.

Designer of at least one of the all time great mountain bikes (on-one inbred) and head of design/tech etc at planet x now. smart bloke, proper qualified engineer.
This is the road thread. ;)

Think I may have offended someone last night, was on my way home and passed a guy riding a Colnago, had a look at it and the Downtube was massive, asked him if it was an e-Bike, at which point he seemed a bit miffed and said no way, then proved his masculinity by sprinting away from the lights :D Turns out it was a Colnago Concept. Which I must say is not a terribly good looking bike. Especially when Colnago usually push out very pretty things.
Hahaha, quality! Then again I'd have to disagree, the Concept I'm probably most familiar with is Cameron Jeffers from his YT blog/channel and the colours (Team?) it comes in, it looks superb!

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/56842945_2301887933359988_2874912240735405846_n.jpg

Wife is finally onto the N+1 ladder....lol

gsmdVT3.jpg
Nice lineup!

What tyres are those on hers? Tread really stands out and looks different. Gonna get a coloured bottle cage for hers to match the bikes Blue? Although I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that... And her saddle level doesn't look that flat considering rear is elevated by stand...

Although still running 2 cages on the TT bar monster with that huge air brake, sorry, 'aero' bar bottle?! Thirsty?! ;) :o :D

What i've listed is just standard shimano road kit.
Totally agree with all of this, but being at 5'10 you're on the border of 172.5 and 175 crank length. Go by leg inseam. If you can't figure out then go for 172.5 as thats probably what comes on that bike and probably what you've been riding before. Better future resale potential too, if you decided to go 175...

ELEMNT here. Have a Quadlock and have used it a few times on the road. Generally only long 6+ hour rides. Mine generally sits on the turbo. Superb piece of kit, so have no worry using it outside. Just expensive. Smartphones generally drain battery life having all the GPS stuff & sensors going on. I used IPBike and early Strava for a couple of years. Wouldn't use anything other than a head unit now.

I'll never go back to Garmin
Edited for you. :cool:

Soldato
Totally agree with all of this, but being at 5'10 you're on the border of 172.5 and 175 crank length. Go by leg inseam. If you can't figure out then go for 172.5 as thats probably what comes on that bike and probably what you've been riding before. Better future resale potential too, if you decided to go 175...

Edited for you. :cool:

Check again (unless ive missed it), he's 6ft 3.

AndyC - what is the bike size? Your pushing a "size 58" / Large (if that wasnt a typo). Before you transfer a penny (on the bike or any other items), make sure that the frame size is appropriate for you. And a bike fit is always money well spent; better a decent bike fit than new kit.

Ah, i'll always leave a door open, its just that they have a hell of a lot of work to do to gain favor.

Soldato
Doh, read that and got distracted by somehing else lol

Does anyone recall Hunt used to have a 'sale' section with occasional single wheels they had built up for quick sale & delivery but I can't see it anymore. Anyone else recall where it is?

EDIT: Found it. but can't get in. Regional popup and whatever I choose goes to the base hunt page.

I'm figuring buying a rear wheel to tide me over rather than riding this Zipp Course 30 with a crack in it, then get it off to the LBS to repair... As it's only a matter of time until the spoke escapes and ruins my fun!

RE: Garmin. Yeah, they're almost like the WindowsXP of OS'. Too much compatibility for everything cooked into the base OS so they can't change anything too much under fear of breaking some obscure running device 3 people are still using from 2003. WahooOS is like Apple - 4 devices and 'just works'. That's hard for me to say as I'm generally a Microsoft/android guy and dislike Apple! ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Guys
I have a dura ace setup with a 28 on the back and 36 front and the tough hills are too much of a killer.
What is the biggest cassette I can get on there. Is 32 doable?
I believe the rear mech is a long cage but not 100% sure. Is there an easy way of finding out?
Thanks

Soldato
Guys
I have a dura ace setup with a 28 on the back and 36 front and the tough hills are too much of a killer.
What is the biggest cassette I can get on there. Is 32 doable?
I believe the rear mech is a long cage but not 100% sure. Is there an easy way of finding out?
Thanks

11-34 in 105 or Ultegra flavour, don't know if they do a Dura-Ace one too. Would give you two easier gears than you currently have, 36/30 and 36/34.

Back
Top Bottom