how do i get surround sound working?

Associate
I have a surround sound setup and amp, so 5 speakers and a sub. These are then connect to I think it’s an amp, then I have an optical cable going from the amp to my computer.

Do I need a sound card for 5.1?

Last edited:
Soldato
Except for already encoded sound like in movies, only way you get surround/5.1 out through optical is having Dolby Digital or DTS encoder.
Something you don't get with huge majority of integrated sound cards.
Because motherboard makers waste your moneys into useless marketing garbage and gimmicks. (+bigger profit margins)

Sound Blaster Z is the cheapest sound card I know which comes with DD/DTS encoders.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/crea...ound-card-retail-70sb150000001-sc-087-cl.html

Soldato
For 5.1 on my rig, I run a HDMI cable from my GPU into my Amp. I assume your likely to have a HDMI in on your AMP?

The HDMI on the GPU can pass through audio and I can select 5.1 perfectly fine in windows.

Associate
OP
For 5.1 on my rig, I run a HDMI cable from my GPU into my Amp. I assume your likely to have a HDMI in on your AMP?

The HDMI on the GPU can pass through audio and I can select 5.1 perfectly fine in windows.

Hi I tried this, I unplugged the optical and plugged in the hdmi into the GPU however I didn’t get any sound. I’m not sure why though.

On the amp I set it to the right hdmi port but I didn’t couldn’t hear anything

Soldato
If you can use HDMI (as mentioned above), then that is the best way.

If you can only use optical; then as Esat mentioned, using optical on a motherboard, you can only get 5.1 from media like DVDs or film/TV files that have Dolby Digital or DTS audio tracks.

If you are wanting 5.1 for gaming, then you'll need a sound card, because the majority of PC games do not support Dolby or DTS. 5.1 audio needs to be encoded on the fly with either Dolby Digital Live or the DTS equivalent, so it can be decoded as 5.1 by the amp/receiver.

The frustrating thing is that motherboards are capable of this on a hardware level. Dolby/DTS 5.1 encoding doesn't work from motherboard optical, because manufacturers disable it. Something to do with not having to pay royalties, or so they can include such features on more expensive boards, as an extra feature to make more expensive boards more appealing compared to budget ones. Hence why Esat says they'd rather waste money including pointless gimmicks instead.

Hi I tried this, I unplugged the optical and plugged in the hdmi into the GPU however I didn’t get any sound. I’m not sure why though.

Could be HDMI audio driver, or maybe HDMI audio output was not automatically set to default audio output device.

Last edited:
Soldato

As Marsman suggested, double check you have selected the option correctly. Will usually see something like so (I have a sony AMP and Nvidia GPU but works fine with either provided you have their drivers downloaded)

XyR12cT.png

Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys, I’m going to order that sound card because on my pc I mainly want it for gaming. Whereas on my TV I want it for movies, so I’ll optical cable it to my pc and hdmi to the tv.

So if I have any problems tomorrow I’ll get in touch again haha!

Associate
OP
Hi ok I’m back lol.

So I purchased the Sound Blaster Z however I still don’t get surround sound. I plugged in the optical cable to the AV and it’s just the front 3 speakers working. The sub and 2 back speakers don’t work.

It appears you can only get surround sound using the 5 3.5mm audio cables, but my AV doesn’t have these.

I have tried using HDMI to my pc but nothing happens. I have looked for drivers for my AV but it doesn’t have pc driver. I have a Yamaha HTR-2071.

Can anyone help on how to set it up, I can’t believe it’s so hard to connect surround sound to PC?!

Soldato
Hi ok I’m back lol.

So I purchased the Sound Blaster Z however I still don’t get surround sound. I plugged in the optical cable to the AV and it’s just the front 3 speakers working. The sub and 2 back speakers don’t work.

It appears you can only get surround sound using the 5 3.5mm audio cables, but my AV doesn’t have these.

I have tried using HDMI to my pc but nothing happens. I have looked for drivers for my AV but it doesn’t have pc driver. I have a Yamaha HTR-2071.

Can anyone help on how to set it up, I can’t believe it’s so hard to connect surround sound to PC?!

Judging by the post above, sound card is no longer needed: but just for the sake of troubleshooting, it must be a set up issue of some kind.

I assume you had Dolby Digital Live enabled in the Sound blaster Z software?

Could be something to do with surround sound speaker set up in Windows itself.

Glad you got the HDMI working as it should.

Associate
For Sounblaster Z I find you have to opt for a full software install. You need to have the Cinematic tab available in the software (not there if I do custom install) and there you choose the appropriate codec.
Also sometimes the sound cracks and goes in games, but just turning the codec off and on again sorts that.
The Soundblaster Z software is so clunky and old looking but it does the job.

Back
Top Bottom