• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
:eek:

Look, people explain it better:

Super PI is single threaded, so its relevance as a measure of performance in the current era of multi-core processors is diminishing quickly. Therefore, wPrime has been developed to support multiple threaded calculations to be run at the same time so one can test stability on multi-core machines. Other multithreaded programs include: Hyper PI, IntelBurnTest, Prime95, Montecarlo superPI, OCCT or y-cruncher. Last but not least, while SuperPi is unable to calculate more than 32 million digits, and Alexander J. Yee & Shigeru Kondo were able to set a record of 10 Trillion 50 Digits of Pi using y-cruncher under a 2 x Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33 GHz - (12 physical cores, 24 hyperthreaded) computer on October 16, 2011[4] Super PI is much slower than these other programs, and utilizes inferior algorithms to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI

i know all that matey.

they are all primarily cpu/system benchmarks where ram tweaks don’t mean much.

superpi 32m remains the standard for ram
speed overclock timing.

if you don’t want to submit a score
then it’s fine but we need some ryzen scores to put to bed some of the arguments in the memory forum regarding cas latency and secondary timings on ryzen platforms
not to try and take on the intel platforms.

Associate
Memory testing has been done on Youtube by several respected channels ie Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus, Gamers Meld to name just a few. Conclusion is 3600 is best for Zen 2 at standard speeds (as recommended by AMD) although the frame rate differences in games did vary between the channels that tested raising questions as to whether it's worth it over 3200. Some reporting as much as 10fps gain whilst others only finding 3 or 4 fps gain. It's all relative as well to the actual frame rate eg 10fps is worth nothing if you're already getting 200fps+ .As for Infinity Fabric overclocking, it is possible to extract some performance increase in some circumstances. However, in a lot of instances, departing from a 1:1 ratio actually results in a performance drop. What I took away from it all, is it's really not worth playing with the Infinity Clock. Buy 3200 or 3600 memory and leave well alone unless you're prepared to do days of bench marking and tinkering for very little extra gain.

For fine settings there is a ram speed calculator that comes highly recommended: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Soldato
I must say im digging my cheap 3600. Going from a 2600(decent cpu really) with MT of 1360 and ST of 159 in cinebench r15 at 4,0ghz to 1725 MT and 203 ST @4,3ghz on the 3600 was surely a nice bump. Some of the more problematic games have seen a good bump to minimums which was exactly the thing i wanted to improve the most. So Zen 2 is in my opinion very solid so fare.

Soldato
I must say im digging my cheap 3600. Going from a 2600(decent cpu really) with MT of 1360 and ST of 159 in cinebench r15 at 4,0ghz to 1725 MT and 203 ST @4,3ghz on the 3600 was surely a nice bump. Some of the more problematic games have seen a good bump to minimums which was exactly the thing i wanted to improve the most. So Zen 2 is in my opinion very solid so fare.

Glads to hear it. Looking forward to getting my one built now!

Associate
I bought a 3800x last week and was thinking of changing my 2400 ram, which is overclocked to 2800. Is it worth getting memory faster than 3600, as I have seen some 3733 for a few pounds more?

Also is their much differrence between 3200 and 3600 in performance with the new CPU's? I ask this because I can get 2 x16GB of 3200 for only £60 more,than 16GB of 3600.

Soldato
I bought a 3800x last week and was thinking of changing my 2400 ram, which is overclocked to 2800. Is it worth getting memory faster than 3600, as I have seen some 3733 for a few pounds more?

Also is their much differrence between 3200 and 3600 in performance with the new CPU's? I ask this because I can get 2 x16GB of 3200 for only £60 more,than 16GB of 3600.
Timings are more important than raw speed beyond 3200ish. Also slower RAM can be overclocked so it depends how much you wanna gamble.

Associate
Timings are more important than raw speed beyond 3200ish. Also slower RAM can be overclocked so it depends how much you wanna gamble.

I have already overclocked my 2400 ram, but my score on 3Dmark went down to, which was to do with the timings. Thats way I have been thinking of swapping my ram, timing on the new ram would be 16-18-18-36.

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-agesa-abba-boost-clock-fix-performance-ryzen-3900x/

Looks good, solid 1%-2% gain across the board.
And GN showed the gain is even bigger for 1% and 0.1% lows

Now the wait begins until bios trickles down to motherboards. B450M Mortar max I am keeping an eye on only received 1003ABB this monday...

Those 0.1% and 1% low increases are great. Shame he only tested two games for it; but it's very promising.

Shame the 3900X is so rare though; then again the 3950X is due soon.

Back
Top Bottom