Can anyone recommend a decent powerbank?

Soldato
I'm off on holiday next month and could do with a decent powerbank to take out with us during the day to top up the batteries on mine and my wife's phones (USB type-c)

Ideally not too huge and heavy but it wants to be able to support quick charging (my phone is an LG G7 and my wife's is a Galaxy S9 Plus)

Thanks for any suggestions...

Last edited:
Soldato
In terms of brands I prefer to buy Anker. Too many horror stories with lithium ion batteries to risk saving a couple of quid on a cheaper but unknown brand

Soldato
As above, can't beat Anker for quality and reliability. Other notable brands are EasyAcc and ESR - I have had mains chargers/wireless chargers and power banks from all three in various guises.
What I would suggest, although it's by no means essential, is that since both your phones use Qualcomm Quick Charging (going by the chargers they are shipped with) it might be worth ensuring you get a Quick Charge 2.0 bank. As I say it's by no means essential and any power bank will work but you should get faster charging using compatible tech.

Soldato
Anker too, but following hotuk discussions would consider xaomi, and purchase via aliexpress/others
speed of charging the bank itself, is another criteria for me, but I have not done much research there.

Soldato
Alongside Anker, I'd say Ravpower. I've got 8x Ravpower 20,000mah USB-C banks (don't ask) and the oldest 3 have been perfect for just over 3yrs now. The oldest ones have been all over the world and survived oddball conditions.

They tend to be cheap during amazon sales, best time to get them.

Soldato
My Anker is over two years old and still has great capacity, suppose only downside is that they tend to be more expensive than other brands popping up now.

Associate
Ankler power banks are really good I’ve had o e for years and take it biking to charge a go pro and gimbal at the same time. Charges them and my phone very quickly

Soldato
OP
I do quite like the look of the Anker Powercore II Slim but I can't tell if it supports Qualcomm fast charging?

There is mention of Qualcomm in the specs on the Anker website but it only references recharging the power bank itself rather than the device quick charging the devices??

I've looked at the higher mAh powerbanks but they seem to be pretty bulky and I can't imagine we are going to need more that 1 full charge for each of the 2 phones during days out!

Associate
I do quite like the look of the Anker Powercore II Slim but I can't tell if it supports Qualcomm fast charging?

There is mention of Qualcomm in the specs on the Anker website but it only references recharging the power bank itself rather than the device quick charging the devices??

I've looked at the higher mAh powerbanks but they seem to be pretty bulky and I can't imagine we are going to need more that 1 full charge for each of the 2 phones during days out!
What’s Qualcomm charging I’ve never heard of it?

Soldato

Apparently it does from one port, can't say for sure, I had 2 of these DOA from Amazon. PITA to return as you can't send them in usual post. Hermes lost them for a month until I put a claim in, suddenly they arrived back at Amazon :rolleyes:

What’s Qualcomm charging I’ve never heard of it?

Here you go

Soldato
if you do buy the larger ones, because they have more cells (in parallel), they will both charge faster to a given capacity, and charge phones, at a faster rate

General Specification:
Brand: Xiaomi
Model: PLM07ZM
Capacity: 20000mAh 74Wh 3.7V
Rated capacity: 12600mAh (5V 5.4A)
Product Weight: about 400g
Dimensions: 153.5×73.5×27.5mm
Technical Parameters:
Battery Type: Lithium Polymer Battery
Input: 5V3A, 9V3A, 12V3A, 15V3A, 20V2.25A
Output: 45W MAX
USB-A(Single port): 5V2.4A,9V2A,12V1.5A
USB-A(Dual USB): 5V3A
USB-C: 5V3A,9V3A,12V3A,15V3A,20V2A
3 Port: 5V5.4A, 9V3A, 12V3A,15V3A,20V2A

Soldato
OP
Are the Aukey powerbanks any good?

I'm quite drawn to the Aukey 10000 mAh USB-C bank - I think it supports Qualcomm 3.0 quick charging and is quite compact!

The only annoyance is I I'll need to buy a USB-C to USB-C cable to charge my wife's S9+ at full speed!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
only go for one that small if you dont need more than a couple of charges a time

It should be fine for my needs - it's essentially just to top up mine and my wife's phones while we are out all day in Florida - which is why I don't want anything too chunky or heavy because I'll be carrying it around all day!

Back
Top Bottom