BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Oh my days. What a mess my line is in. Zen haven't cancelled the order yet so Sky have to do some kind of emergency cancel today by 4.30pm or else my line will be dead as a dodo when I wake up in the morning. I couldn't live without internet for 3 weeks or however long it takes to set up again from new.

Soldato
Oh my days. What a mess my line is in. Zen haven't cancelled the order yet so Sky have to do some kind of emergency cancel today by 4.30pm or else my line will be dead as a dodo when I wake up in the morning. I couldn't live without internet for 3 weeks or however long it takes to set up again from new.

11th is the date for my installation, currently relying on mobile data for any net access but strictly only for browsing .

Soldato
Do all G.Fast cabinets look like this?

Tvtoi0M.jpg

My cabinet looks like that, but obviously I cannot get G.Fast. Drove past today and a FNS Ltd van was there and the guy was in end cabinet, was empty when I looked. Not getting my hopes up, could just be extra capacity?

Caporegime
Have you missed me? I don’t have any mobile internet access so just sitting in the pub using the free WiFi. Internet got chopped off but luckily should be back on next week sometime. It’s like druggies coming off their fix, I should imagine. :cool:

Caporegime
Do all G.Fast cabinets look like this?

Tvtoi0M.jpg

My cabinet looks like that, but obviously I cannot get G.Fast. Drove past today and a FNS Ltd van was there and the guy was in end cabinet, was empty when I looked. Not getting my hopes up, could just be extra capacity?

That's a G.fast pod.

Caporegime
G.fast was enabled yesterday on my cab, I can only order the 150mb/s package though, is this being phased in as my parents home has superb line stats and is very close to the cab and they can only order the first package as well, even though up to 300mb/s would be possible.

I’m in contract with Vodafone until February but might go with EE as they offer £50 credit towards any early exit fee with other providers.

Man of Honour
My FTTC cab has two extensions, one on either side, and the other cab in the same location has one. They don't look like G.Fast pods though as there's no venting, more like extra capacity. If it is G.Fast, it doesn't show up on my checker either, just regular FTTC.

Soldato
G.fast was enabled yesterday on my cab, I can only order the 150mb/s package though, is this being phased in as my parents home has superb line stats and is very close to the cab and they can only order the first package as well, even though up to 300mb/s would be possible.
Within 300 metres of the cabinet seems to be the framework for decent G.Fast, otherwise the benefits aren't worthwhile. Maybe they've offered your folks what they believe is feasibly possible.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Ah, OK. I've never been able to find my cab. I found a map that shows their locations but according to that, mine is in someone's back garden!
On Codelook? The pins are done by postcode and don't represent the actual location of the cabinet.

Cabinets usually aren't hard to find - walk from your property to the nearest large road going towards the exchange and you should come across it. Street view is helpful if you don't fancy the hoof.

Soldato
Got mine completed today, quite impressed with the wired speeds ( approx 300Mbs ), wireless speeds are half that if I'm lucky. Need to setup my Google wifi and will retest to see if it makes any difference but not too impressed with the Smarthub 2 so far and the tests are run right beside it too.

FiqOCZWl.jpg
wpmvTTrm.jpg

Caporegime
Within 300 metres of the cabinet seems to be the framework for decent G.Fast, otherwise the benefits aren't worthwhile. Maybe they've offered your folks what they believe is feasibly possible.

They’re well within that and the dsl checker shows they should be able to get near max speeds, I’ve checked a few postcodes and the whole town seems to be limited to just the first gfast package for now.

Soldato
I have BT Infinity 2. Should I take BT's offer of a £75 gift card for signing a further 18 month contract, this time with it called Superfast Fibre Plus?

Despite the different name, it seems like it's fundamentally the same thing (~80Mb/20Mb VDSL2). I wouldn't be forced to stop using my Draytek combined modem/router and use BT's latest Hub instead, would I?

Back
Top Bottom