ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Caporegime
Madness these people can afford to drop so much money on the monitors and not even read the reviews before hand where all these problems are highlighted.

Desperation that we have been waiting 4 years for a monitor like that and you can always return under DSR if its a lemon. Hell I ordered a Sony A7riv on the day it was announced for delivery 2 months later without ready a review.

Associate
This sucks - I've had my 4k 27ins screen since at least 2013/2014 (Dell P2715Q) & I'd have hoped something better would be out by now - Instead all we're stuck with is large 1440p screens (yuck) or these useless monitors. Why is it so difficult to come up with a 32+ screen with a decent refresh rate & HDR?

Associate
OP
Mine arrived, set it up, played with cleartype and enabled shadowboost which improves the readability of text, hopefully Asus resolve the pixel issue without requiring shadowboost because it washes out the picture. Had a quick run around in the Apex Legends training map, it feels like there's motion blur enabled so something must not be set up right, the OS and monitor say 120hz is enabled and Nvidia's Control Panel sees the monitor as gsync compatible so I'm not sure what's going on. Turning on the monitors refresh rate counter it's locked at 120hz even while 3d mark says its running at 80-90fps, gsync on or off.

Associate
I'm thinking about returning mine. Dark smearing is too strong in some games even with OD on. It looks fine with 3D games but some 2D games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth are painful to watch.
Mine arrived, set it up, played with cleartype and enabled shadowboost which improves the readability of text, hopefully Asus resolve the pixel issue without requiring shadowboost because it washes out the picture. Had a quick run around in the Apex Legends training map, it feels like there's motion blur enabled so something must not be set up right, the OS and monitor say 120hz is enabled and Nvidia's Control Panel sees the monitor as gsync compatible so I'm not sure what's going on. Turning on the monitors refresh rate counter it's locked at 120hz even while 3d mark says its running at 80-90fps, gsync on or off.

I think the motion blur you are experiencing is the ghosting of the VA panel.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you explain this "dark smearing" is it like a trail ? So would a game like ori and the blind forest be bad?

Have you tried any online FPS? Overwatch, counter strike. Etc. ? I was tempted to get this but I might wait now...

Associate
Can you explain this "dark smearing" is it like a trail ? So would a game like ori and the blind forest be bad?
Have you tried any online FPS? Overwatch, counter strike. Etc. ? I was tempted to get this but I might wait now...

Yes it looks like a trail behind every moving characters and objects on the screen. I tried every OD settings and they were all bad.
I tried a few games: Resident Evil 2 Remake, Yakuza 2, Cuphead, Hollow Knight and Binding of Isaac Rebirth. The worst one was Isaac which was painful to watch because of heavy ghosting, the other ones are fine if you do not mind a bit of motion bur.

I think if you play competitive FPS the motion blur will disappoint you.

I compared games with a good IPS 75Hz monitor and the XG438Q. I think the XG438Q running at 100Hz feels slower than the IPS one because of the combination of ghosting and motion blur.

Soldato
I don't think it's possible to have VA without motion blur... I've never seen or heard of a single panel that doesn't suffer from it, albeit to varying degrees. It's inherent to the technology as far as I'm aware, and will never be resolved. You either suck it up, or go with IPS and endure the inherent flaws it has. There's a compromise either way, but the XG438Q is too much of one IMO.

Associate
I actually use TN panel for gaming which is 144 and a 4k 60hz for work. I just wanted to find something that I can do both with a large display.

And yeah I like competitive FPS games. Ice actually never used a VA panel. Just a IPS and a TN

Associate
I actually use TN panel for gaming which is 144 and a 4k 60hz for work. I just wanted to find something that I can do both with a large display.

And yeah I like competitive FPS games. Ice actually never used a VA panel. Just a IPS and a TN

I have used all 3 and currently IPS and VA - yeah in your case I wouldn't go for this. Judging from the initial feedback from purchasers most are used to IPS / TN screen and large VA screens with their inherent characteristics are shocking them. ( sounds like most have never used VA or waited for the reviews )

Associate
OP
I'm thinking about returning mine. Dark smearing is too strong in some games even with OD on. It looks fine with 3D games but some 2D games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth are painful to watch.

I think the motion blur you are experiencing is the ghosting of the VA panel.

I've been away for a while so only sitting back down to it now, I find it odd that the motion blur seems more pronounced with a 120hz gaming screen than the 60hz philips beside it.

Soldato
I'm giving the PC gaming monitor market about a year... if it hasn't sorted itself out by the time next gen arrives, I will leave PC gaming behind forever and switch to Xbox Scarlett/PS5. I've just about had enough of this nonsense.

Soldato
I'm giving the PC gaming monitor market about a year... if it hasn't sorted itself out by the time next gen arrives, I will leave PC gaming behind forever and switch to Xbox Scarlett/PS5. I've just about had enough of this nonsense.
Or you can just hook up your pc to your favourite TV.

Caporegime

HDMI 2.1 should be with us by then hopefully, and we'll have lots more options in the TV market!

Back
Top Bottom