LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
oof, bhphotovideo.com still shows it coming Mid September. Guess we'll see but nothing surprises me anymore. Maybe some time in 2020!

I have just come of the chat with a representative from B&H and he told me the LG 38GL950G will be available 19.9.19 doing the shipping which will cost $198 then taxes of $450 plus the price works out at a total cost of £2152 or $2647 and remember exchange rates fluctuate so this price can go up or down stock market dependent and credit card exchange rate bloody hell, so gathering that information is that what the product will cost landed in the UK when buying from a .co.uk on line retailer based in the UK. So, B&H are getting these monitors 19th September. Can anyone shed light onj expected European release date surely the cat is now out of the bag finally.

Associate
I have just come of the chat with a representative from B&H and he told me the LG 38GL950G will be available 19.9.19 doing the shipping which will cost $198 then taxes of $450 plus the price works out at a total cost of £2152 or $2647 and remember exchange rates fluctuate so this price can go up or down stock market dependent and credit card exchange rate bloody hell, so gathering that information is that what the product will cost landed in the UK when buying from a .co.uk on line retailer based in the UK. So, B&H are getting these monitors 19th September. Can anyone shed light onj expected European release date surely the cat is now out of the bag finally.

They are taking Pre-orders on it now. If it's really coming out in a week in the US, shouldn't it be available in europe a week after at most?

Soldato
Jesus! You can get a 65" 120hz oled for that price.

Soldato
OP
I don't see them selling many at this price tbh... it's a bit of a joke when the Predator X35 is going to cost the same. Extra res bump is nice of course, but this is geared more towards professional use, and it's hardly optimal given far better monitors are available if that's your primary use case. If you're looking for a pure gaming monitor, you'd go for the X35 at the same price. Very odd price point. If the high price sticks, the LG will sit in a very odd place in the market, for the very affluent consumer who wants to use it for some hobbyist work and also gaming... yet happy to compromise on both.

:confused:

Associate
I have just compared the EU price which looks topping out at 1999 Euros converted to sterling you arrive at a price of £1784. Either way I think it is best to buy local and not from the USA as screen lottery would be a big concern if it needed to be shipped back that would be a total nightmare and yes you would get hit with VAT but posting that sucker back would be a big ticket price and no LG EU warranty either as it would be a grey import.

God I don’t know what to do buy the X35 which I saw today advertised for £2174 or wait on the LG 38’’ suppose I would appreciate the bigger screen and all that as I always got the impression my Asus PG348Q was way too narrow I don’t think I would really miss the true HDR 1000 as you would only notice it if you lived with the acer x35 for a couple of months then changed to the LG 38’’ I doubt anyonme owning the Acer X35 could go back to a standard display It would not be a money problem as either way I will own one of them but which one to buy I would be primarily using it for 50/50 gaming and business, it is that big size which attracts me. I noticed of a guy who was in the same dilemma one is the X34 and the other is the LG now do you all not agree the bigger screen would be nice for gaming and how bad can it be HDR 400 I know it is not going to be balls to the wall HDR and the LG should not even have the HDR mentioned as that HDR will be total crap on the LG but from stand point of screen real-estate which would you choose will the bigger size not make you sway towards the LG or would you all say go for the Acer X35.

Associate
B&H just updated their release date to 16th of October which makes more sense since LG said Q4 at the IFA. Should be available in Europe about a week after.

Soldato
OP
I have just compared the EU price which looks topping out at 1999 Euros converted to sterling you arrive at a price of £1784. Either way I think it is best to buy local and not from the USA as screen lottery would be a big concern if it needed to be shipped back that would be a total nightmare and yes you would get hit with VAT but posting that sucker back would be a big ticket price and no LG EU warranty either as it would be a grey import.

God I don’t know what to do buy the X35 which I saw today advertised for £2174 or wait on the LG 38’’ suppose I would appreciate the bigger screen and all that as I always got the impression my Asus PG348Q was way too narrow I don’t think I would really miss the true HDR 1000 as you would only notice it if you lived with the acer x35 for a couple of months then changed to the LG 38’’ I doubt anyonme owning the Acer X35 could go back to a standard display It would not be a money problem as either way I will own one of them but which one to buy I would be primarily using it for 50/50 gaming and business, it is that big size which attracts me. I noticed of a guy who was in the same dilemma one is the X34 and the other is the LG now do you all not agree the bigger screen would be nice for gaming and how bad can it be HDR 400 I know it is not going to be balls to the wall HDR and the LG should not even have the HDR mentioned as that HDR will be total crap on the LG but from stand point of screen real-estate which would you choose will the bigger size not make you sway towards the LG or would you all say go for the Acer X35.

Those conversions never turn out that way though... I expect it will be £2K, but even £1500 would be too much IMO... just don't see the value here as things stand, but will see what reviews say.

Associate
B&H just updated their release date to 16th of October which makes more sense since LG said Q4 at the IFA. Should be available in Europe about a week after.

That sounds fantastic will just hold of buying the X35 and try out the LG 38'' then see for myself and if I really don't like the LG just return it for a refund withing the 14 day consumer protection window. Just checked B&H, Boo hoo Expected availability: has changed to Oct 23, 2019. Will that obviously translate to same release one week on window in Europe as I was hearing November on a youtube video?

Sorry got mixed up there OCTOBER November ROFL. My bad sorry.

Last edited:
Associate
Those conversions never turn out that way though... I expect it will be £2K, but even £1500 would be too much IMO... just don't see the value here as things stand, but will see what reviews say.

I think the pricing is off whack but are prices not off whack with all consumer good purchased, the LG has a massive 38'' screen in IPS 1ms and G-SYNC suppose that is where the money is going as other monitors with and without gsync are hundreds of pounds cheaper. Anyway we could argue about the good bad and ugly for a lifetime and never please everyone if I like the monitor i'll keep it and if I dont i'll return it but that Acer x35 would eb a fantastic purchase but again too narrow on height which is putting me off the X35 the LG38'' looks to be perfect in my mind as it is way bigger and that is a big plus when gaming.

Associate
I can only imagine then maybe it will be a February 2020 release for Europe. I remember reading that some place because if USA is Oct 23rd expected availability you would imagine preorders would pop up for Europe there is zippo for Europe pre orders.

Soldato
OP
I think the pricing is off whack but are prices not off whack with all consumer good purchased, the LG has a massive 38'' screen in IPS 1ms and G-SYNC suppose that is where the money is going as other monitors with and without gsync are hundreds of pounds cheaper. Anyway we could argue about the good bad and ugly for a lifetime and never please everyone if I like the monitor i'll keep it and if I dont i'll return it but that Acer x35 would eb a fantastic purchase but again too narrow on height which is putting me off the X35 the LG38'' looks to be perfect in my mind as it is way bigger and that is a big plus when gaming.

I like the spec, assuming it lives up to it... the price is the problem. It's only worth what people are willing to pay at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom