• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP <=8 GB Vram

Soldato
Weird question guys.

On my z97 motherboard with my 5700xt the total vram my system tells me is 12gb (8gb dedicated and 4gb shared) is this a good thing?

Yes that a good thing that your 5700 XT can use up to 12GB GPU memory while allocated half of your 8GB RAM and game performance and frame time will not suffered with Windows 10 now supported shared GPU memory. That made HBCC looked worthless.

A few games worked with shared GPU memory like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus with 16K texture, Resident Evil 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood with 16K texture, GreedFall and others.

2DlNqat.png

783weGk.png

I posted 2 pictures above in What is the point in Vram amount? thread back in Feb 2019 played Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus with 16K texture which used 19.6GB GPU memory, I have 32GB RAM, 16GB is allocated for GPU shared memory and RTX 2080 used 8GB GDDR6 dedicated memory can used up to 24GB GPU memory for games on PCs with 32GB RAM. PCs with 64GB RAM will let GPU use up to 40GB GPU memory.

The recently news on Samsung worked on cheaper DDR4 32GB stick with A-Die memory, in 2020 we could see affordable PCs with 128GB RAM that will let GPU use up to massive 72GB GPU memory in future games. :D

Soldato
Yes that a good thing that your 5700 XT can use up to 12GB GPU memory while allocated half of your 8GB RAM and game performance and frame time will not suffered with Windows 10 now supported shared GPU memory. That made HBCC looked worthless.

A few games worked with shared GPU memory like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus with 16K texture, Resident Evil 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood with 16K texture, GreedFall and others.
2DlNqat.png

783weGk.png

I posted 2 pictures above in What is the point in Vram amount? thread back in Feb 2019 played Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus with 16K texture which used 19.6GB GPU memory, I have 32GB RAM, 16GB is allocated for GPU shared memory and RTX 2080 used 8GB GDDR6 dedicated memory can used up to 24GB GPU memory for games on PCs with 32GB RAM. PCs with 64GB RAM will let GPU use up to 40GB GPU memory.

The recently news on Samsung worked on cheaper DDR4 32GB stick with A-Die memory, in 2020 we could see affordable PCs with 128GB RAM that will let GPU use up to massive 72GB GPU memory in future games. :D

Been here before and you posting misleading information once again!

The reason for the shared memory pool in Windows 10 is for stability only!!! Its to stop games or intensive application from just outright crashing or BSOD the PC!

If you go into the shared memory pool your performance will be affected! Latency will be so much higher because of how the game will need to read in and out of memory!

Let put it this way! if what you saying is true what is the point in GPUs aiming for higher Vram? What is the point in 8GB Vram? Why not just simply use RAM LOL

83660976b4d9ba303218426ddf32b476816ca71854c63c890b22c3d80e0d7261e411e82e.jpg

So just so you understand, the shared GPU memory is using much slower RAM if you really think this is just like using Vram you are completely wrong and it will 100% affect performance! and overall system stability. HBCC fixes this by using a cache controller on the GPU to boost latency speed and giving windows access to dedicated VRAM increase.

Soldato
Just posted on another thread that I think 8GB is not enough to run Gears 5 at top settings. I was getting out of memory crashes on my V64.

That’s either a bug or your graphics card is dying, bad luck mate time for a 5700xt.

Game should not crash even if you don’t have enough vram for its buffer - it just slows the game down by swapping assets in and out slowly creating stutters while playing but it doesn’t cause crashes.

My first 2080ti crashed a lot, about half of the crashes were for running out of memory. RMAd that

Caporegime
That’s either a bug or your graphics card is dying, bad luck mate time for a 5700xt.

Game should not crash even if you don’t have enough vram for its buffer - it just slows the game down by swapping assets in and out slowly creating stutters while playing but it doesn’t cause crashes.

My first 2080ti crashed a lot, about half of the crashes were for running out of memory. RMAd that
Please don’t say that. I’ve been battling myself not to buy a 5700xt for ages now as I don’t think the outlays worth the improvement, but your post is making me think otherwise.

It’s worked fine since I got it and still does after I freed up ram and dropped settings.

I could even afford to drop the money on a 2080ti, but I’m hesitant in case we’re not too far away from the 3080ti.

Man of Honour
I didn't say that and I have no clue how you got to thinking that. I'm talking about HBCC which relates to memory availability and not framerate (except insofar as not having enough vram will obviously lead to framerate instability).

But since you've broached this subject let me assure you: HBM2 is absolutely the better of the two for just about anything except saving money. Discussing memory through a comparison of two cards with wholly different architectures is misguided because other variables are going to interfere with performance.
Until high bandwidth cache controller is used on another type of Ram then HBM is the better solution.
What is not good is the price.

Am with OP here I have seen first hand the benefits that HBCC bring.

Looks like AMD don't agree with you.

The 5700 XT is a very good card and runs fine with GDDR6.

Soldato
Looks like AMD don't agree with you.

The 5700 XT is a very good card and runs fine with GDDR6.

The only reason AMD ever used HBM and HBM2 memory is because memory bandwidth is critical to Vega's performance - without tons of bandwidth it's performance suffers.
AMD fixed that issue with RDNA so there is no longer a need for expensive HBM2 memory.

GDDR6 has been updated since it launch on Turing anyway, you can get modules now nearly at 800gbps, just a little shy of the twice as expensive HBM2's 1000gbps.

So unless that small gap matters to your GPU, which it shouldn't - save yourself $150 to $300usd in production costs by using GDDR6.

I can understand why someone who owns a Radeon 7 would want to toot on about HBM2 - they paid $300usd just for the VRAM, so you have to make yourself feel good about spending that for memory.

Permabanned
The MSI Gaming X reaches the astonishing 285W power consumption sustained in Furmark and 270W on average in gaming. RTX 2080 has 50% better performance per watt at 4K, and GTX 1660 Ti is 58% better at Full HD.

I would not call the 5700 XT a good card.

Soldato
The MSI Gaming X reaches the astonishing 285W power consumption sustained in Furmark and 270W on average in gaming. RTX 2080 has 50% better performance per watt at 4K, and GTX 1660 Ti is 58% better at Full HD.

I would not call the 5700 XT a good card.

2080 is so overpriced it's not worth considering. The 1660ti is nowhere near as good as the 5700xt, the regular 5700 beats it in just about everything...

Permabanned
2080 is so overpriced it's not worth considering. The 1660ti is nowhere near as good as the 5700xt, the regular 5700 beats it in just about everything...

I was commenting the technical inferiority of the AMD GPUs. Even though, the price tags I didn't mention, I am sure RTX 2080 outsells the RX 5700XT several-to-one....

Soldato
I was commenting the technical inferiority of the AMD GPUs. Even though, the price tags I didn't mention, I am sure RTX 2080 outsells the RX 5700XT several-to-one....

The 2080 and 2080ti combined have less than 2% market share according to the latest Steam surveys, so I doubt it. Most people refuse to pay that much. £2-400 is what most spend...

Surprisingly even the Radeon 7 seems to be beating the 2080 for popularity now. Maybe loads of them got space invaders or something :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
The 2080 and 2080ti combined have less than 2% market share according to the latest Steam surveys, so I doubt it. Most people refuse to pay that much. £2-400 is what most spend...

Surprisingly even the Radeon 7 seems to be beating the 2080 for popularity now. Maybe loads of them got space invaders or something :D

2% market share for the most expensive cards is a strong result.
At one major global retailer, the best selling card 1 is GT 710, followed by 2 GTX 1660, 3 GTX 1660 Ti, 4 Radeon RX 580, 5 RTX 2070, 6 RTX 2080 Ti, etc... you can check it.

I am looking at something else on the circuits of Radeons and GeForces. I have noticed very strange circuit paths on the GeForce, as if those what are supposed to be straight lines, are drawn by a drunken design engineer. Look:

Radeon Navi sample card:

AMD-Navi.png

GeForce RTX 2070S sample card:

nvidia-TU104.png

Soldato
I found vram [system] consumption between dx11 and dx12...interesting...
I wonder if there is a way to limit vram [it] to 8gb to see if the frame rates is the same in dx12?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It looks like they've used the same yellow/orange filter as DE:HR.

Is everything that orange in game?

e: oops, was replying to a post on page 2 !!

Soldato

Oh is it? Let’s count the number of owners in the Radeon 7 thread vs 2080ti thread again shall we ;)

Back
Top Bottom