Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Which was further amended to "run of the mill NA 6 cylinder motors" The sort of stuff you actually can reasonably expect to see day to day. I mean, I don't see 6R4's every other day. Maybe I'm too remote, but I don't see 911's everyday either. I also then made the further exception of the likes of the 350Z as it makes 300 BHP which would be quick enough, as would an R36 with circa 300 BHP. But then you certainly don't see them everyday either.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about cars you DO see daily, hence "run of the mill" R32's, 330i's, ST220's, Jag XJ's or whatever etc... But apparently not. Not quite sure how to accurately represent what I mean then obviously, I could say "mass market V6's" but then some clever guy will come along and tell me the ST220 is rarer than a 911 of same age.

I'm really just talking about MY own experience of NA 6 cylinder motors. As I said, the sort of stuff that you see everyday, the stuff you would likely be able to look at several examples of before buying one to drive daily, rather than one off Rally Homologations, or £20k+ 15 year old Clios, or proper "Sports cars". And I'm not really saying they are slow either. Just that for the amount of fuel they consume, you are often not far off V8 levels of consumption, but without the power that goes with (I also did mention having slow V8's too).

Caporegime
I think V6 are very efficient versus my v8!

Seems an odd comment to be honest. Today everything is 4cyl turbo offering performance and economy. However they won’t ever match the noise or refinement of a V6.

Sometimes there is more to a car than numbers on paper...

The VR6 is such an example. What a noise !

Soldato
I find my V6 fairly good on fuel. average 28mpg and i give it a hoon at least once per journey.

Averaged 36mpg from derby to devon on cruise control which i thought was quite decent considering every says how thirsty the 370z is. WOT obviously is a different kettle of fish though.

Soldato
I think it's a fair point tbh. I drive an NA V6 car, it's a bit gutless and a bit thirsty. I'm a turbo guy through and through though, would prefer a turbo 4 hands down but I've had a lot of bad luck with turbos hence wanting a simple and reliable NA car for a daily.

Soldato
Breaking news, big NA engines are less efficient than Turbo/Supercharged engines.

Trying to think of some frugle NA V8's of similar era of popular "run-of-the-mill" NA 6cyl.

@Simon You probably have one of the best examples of efficient NA V8 I would have thought.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anything, I would expect the relative power to efficiency of an engine to stack up more favourably for the V6 than the V8 in general.

It seems generally manufacturers are opting for less and less cylinders in their drive for efficiency for given power levels, so I'd be surprised if for some reason 8 cylinders inherently bucks that trend and is better than 6.

Back
Top Bottom