Whey/soy or what do you take?

Soldato
Still haven't got my head around all the different choices, I think whey is the usual protein to take. I'm only doing swimming and light weights.

I also see whey is reasonably pricey, if you take whey where do you buy it, can you get a good bulk deal etc?

Man of Honour
If your diet is good, then in all likelihood you won't really need additional protein.

As with that funny breath mask: sounds like you have an itch, so you might as well scratch it. Just don't expect very much.

The only real tangible difference between soy and whey protein is their sources: if you don't get on with cow's milk, get soy... Soy also tends to be cheaper.

Soldato
Have a look at Heul as it's got Pea Protein in it and other supplements and because it's a meal replacement rather than a "sports" drink it works out quite cheap and use it most days now for at least one meal. There's quite a long thread on it but one tip is to mix in say 1/4 Almond milk for example with the water to improve the texture.

Soldato
not sure why new threads keep getting made, when these questions are perfectly housed in the Gym Rats thread, or alternatively already answered in the supplements thread.

Associate
Back when I was going regularly I used whey, it’s not that expensive if bought in bulk and yes while you can get all the stuff from daily foods but 1. That’s expensive 2. It’s timw consuming making all that food and 3. You walk around bloated all the time.
I agree food is better but whey used with food combinations ie with added fruit and oats ect it’s just as valuable and that’s why all major body builders and athletes use it.
Bulkpowders.co.uk is where I bought all mine just keep watch they constantly have like 30% off and 40% ect so wait it out

Soldato
I don’t see much point of adding protein to a balanced diet unless you want to pack on muscle, but then you need to look at what you’re lifting and it’s easy to fall into a cycle that then tanks performance.

Soldato
Dairy-based:
Whey - digested quickest (in isolation), best used as a drink
Casein - digested slower (than the above in isolation), typically used pre-bed, also works better for protein pudding/sludge/proats
Milk Protein - blend of both the above

Plant-based:
Soy - most common vegetarian protein source
Pea - found in things like Huel
Brown Rice - urgh, no
Hemp - urgh, no

I buy the milk protein in bulk because I liked to use it in proats, making protein deserts etc. It's cheap (per-kilo) and convenient/versatile, easy to take to work etc. If you aren't vegan I see little point in using the plant-based ones, since the bio-availability of the dairy-based ones is better and they're also complete in terms of amino acid profile and cheaper.

Associate
Bumping this thread as it's the most recent Whey discussion.

I've been dairy free for 6 months now and would like to up my protein intake as my triathlon training starts to ramp up.

I've never taken a dairy or non dairy / vegan suppliment before.

What's the reccomended goto these days?

Thank you.

Soldato
Bumping this thread as it's the most recent Whey discussion.

I've been dairy free for 6 months now and would like to up my protein intake as my triathlon training starts to ramp up.

I've never taken a dairy or non dairy / vegan suppliment before.

What's the reccomended goto these days?

Thank you.
Out of curiosity why do you want to up your protein intake for triathlon training? I understand the desire to hit a certain protein target helps, but predominantly this is for resistance / weight training and muscle building goals. If your training is focused on the triathlon aspects then you probably dont need to highly ramp your protein in take.

In terms of protein powders i use just basic whey concentrates from myprotein or bodybuilding warehouse, a friend who had various issues with whey went through a few including vegan whey, and in the end settled on and has had great results with Applied Nutrition Critical Whey.

Associate
I’m not a nutritionist but I’m onboard with the theory of a high protein diet being a good thing. Since cutting out dairy I’m 6kg down. Dairy did form quite a large part of my diet historically so I’m thinking it would be wise to find a way of easily replacing the lost protein.

Soldato
I’m not a nutritionist but I’m onboard with the theory of a high protein diet being a good thing. Since cutting out dairy I’m 6kg down. Dairy did form quite a large part of my diet historically so I’m thinking it would be wise to find a way of easily replacing the lost protein.
If it wasn't for allergy reasons to drop dairy then there is no point in limiting yourself to non dairy based whey. The amount of calories you will be getting out of it will be majoratively protein anyway and on a calorie per gram per cost ratio, whey protein is your best option all around. Soy / Vegan proteins dont have a great wrap generally.

In terms of higher protein diets they are more focused around encouraging the body to maintain muscle mass while dropping weight, theres an element of higher thermogenesis from protein as well, and its more satiating. So to maintain muscle and help cut weight, yes higher protein is better.

Grab yourself a selection from BBW or Myprotein or Bulk and just find the best discount offer you can.

Associate
Unfortunately for me the dropping of dairy was for intollerance reasons rather than ethical. I love (loved) cheese :(

I had the test done for purely performance based reasons, it's made me a faster runner my rHr is lower as well so all good.

So, based on that your advice in the last line still stands?

TY.

Back
Top Bottom