Basic Full System for Son to Play Fortnite/Minecraft

Soldato
As above, best value spec for games suitable for an 8 year old boy.

I have the remainder of my old 2500k setup, but if I can get a new full system including monitor (just remembered I have a 24" 1080p iiyama in my garage), for £600-700, that'd be great.

Space in his bedroom is limited, so iTX/mATX in a compact case preferred.

Happy to build myself, or bung the build-fee at an OCUK tech-weenie.

RGB for extra FPS a must :rolleyes:

Bits I already have:
Samsung 860 M2 500Gb
2Tb WD 7200 HDD
Fans (120 & 140mm)
Gelid Tranquilo CPU cooler (will need to source the AM4 kit)

Last edited:
Soldato
would personally reuse your parts , 16gb if there is only 8 . But then M.2 isn't going to work =/

build yourself with your son :)

3600+ b450 Max+ 16gb 3000hz ram . RX 580/690 and 550w PSU and good to go

Soldato
OP
would personally reuse your parts , 16gb if there is only 8 . But then M.2 isn't going to work =/

build yourself with your son :)

3600+ b450 Max+ 16gb 3000hz ram . RX 580/690 and 550w PSU and good to go

Reusing my 2500k rig was my original intent - but by the time I'd priced up a case, PSU & GPU, it seemed like a lot of money to spend on 9 year old gear.

The motherboard is full ATX, which limits small case options and I'd like to know it'll be some time before an upgrade is needed.

I've recently built myself a Ryzen 2600X system (X470 board), so I'm not totally against the idea of using the opportunity to grab a 3700X and/or X570 board; giving him the Ryzen 2 system...

Here's my kit:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,098.99 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

inside a Jonsbo W2 case.

I'd consider grabbing these to donate my current CPU & Ram, possibly jump into Ryzen 3 and give him better performance in a longer-lived system:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £824.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

I'd put the 2700X & 3200mhz ram into my X470 system.
(Above is an example and over budget, but you get the idea)
Just need help tweaking the details...

Associate
I'm with ExoMale, but maybe a 1060 3gb that isn't popular so is cheap and stretch to 16gb ram. Swap to ryzen 3600 next year when they are £100.

Soldato
OP
I'm inclined to agree, too.
No matter how much I play with the numbers, a 3700X is still the great majority of the budget - and no matter how much I'd love to grab the opportunity to upgrade, this is about Elliott and his Xmas prezzie.

I've played about with the Part Picker and I can squeeze an RX580, Sabrent Rocket 1Tb NVME and the Ryzen 2600 into the system, for not much more than I'd hoped to spend.

Will check back once I've made sure everything fits inside the Define Nano S case.

Associate
Good point. The GPU is a 2 slot version, but do you have any suggestions on a smaller ATX PSU? The SFX format seems to carry a large premium.
The mid to low power PSUs tend to be slightly shorter in length, but generally all ATX PSUs are about the same height, so if you're going with ATX PSU there's very little chance of fitting a thicker than dual slot GPU in the Design Nano S.

If you want to fit a GPU that's bigger than dual slot, then you'll need SFX or SFX-L PSU (and probably some cable extensions).

Soldato
I'm inclined to agree, too.
No matter how much I play with the numbers, a 3700X is still the great majority of the budget - and no matter how much I'd love to grab the opportunity to upgrade, this is about Elliott and his Xmas prezzie.

I've played about with the Part Picker and I can squeeze an RX580, Sabrent Rocket 1Tb NVME and the Ryzen 2600 into the system, for not much more than I'd hoped to spend.

Will check back once I've made sure everything fits inside the Define Nano S case.

while that is a very good setup, dont push your budget over for it as to be fair it be wasted, i ran fortnite, doom, FO4 and so on at 70-120 fps on high(est) with a 1200 + rx 570 8gb, so while im sure your son will be very happy, you might as well save a bit of money to spend elsewhere.

Associate
As mentioned before, get a ryzen 1200 for £50 and swap it later £70ish saved over a 2600 and you and he wont notice.

GPU could be one of a few mentioned here. I'm not familiar with fortnite, but budget £100 and check youtube videos for the best for around that. I suspect 1060 3gb will win, but 570 would be a fine choice too.

edit : Dont make the mistake of spending an extra £100 or whatever now when you can get better parts for that £100 in a few months and sell your "old" parts. Whatever you do, he'll find new games that need or benefit from better hardware and upgrading will be a thing once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Appreciate all the input.
Need to run total build cost by the boss (we have two litters of Persian/Exotic kittens ready to re-home and I didn't realise how much the pet price had shot up) - if she hasn't already earmarked the funds, I'll grab the chance to get myself the 3700X and give Elliott my 2600X.

Back
Top Bottom