• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
This new driver is blue screening my RTX 2080 even after using DDU which I haven't used since resetting my PC a couple of months ago.

Back to 431.60.

Nvidia drivers. :rolleyes:

A quick update on this. I had three Windows updates last night and it hasn't crashed in just over 11 hours so hopefully it is sorted now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi
Sorry if this is in here and i missed it, however is there a reccomended driver for pascal users?
I have a 1080ti and wondering which is best for me (or is the talk of newer drivers slowing down older nvidia cards just FUD and I should get the latest stable releases regardless?

thanks

Soldato
Just curious but why not use it frequently ? Surely it's good practise to have a nice clean slate to install new drivers to ?

I guess it's a question of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I only use use it when I have had driver issues, maybe once or twice a year, and its worked for me.

Normally I just install the new drivers over the old, sometimes with a clean install, but most times not.

Man of Honour
Well on that front why not reinstall windows for each driver update?

Or is that too draconian a measure.
Exactly this, DDU is quite aggressive and has been known to cause issues which can only be fixed with a rebuild of the OS.

There's zero point in using it for simply updating drivers.

Soldato
The Gap is huge, PS4 Protato and Xbone X (I have both btw) are seriously gimped by low end CPU. If you look at games it's not just frame rate that suffers on consoles. Shadows, details, textures are much lower and upscaled to 4K so they can use the keyword '4K' graphics and people that are none the wiser lap it up. Thinking they have parity with PC.

I mean I jumped in with both last gen consoles and wish I saved the money for PC.

Am def skipping the next gen of consoles as PC will be ahead even at launch with the gap widening even further as time passes.

For those happy with consoles it's great. This is just my opinion, Each to their own and all that. My money will spent on GOG (No drm ftw) and not on £499 console and £59.99 games. Would rather spend £499 on a next gen GPU when I can just drop that into my PC I already have anyway if you get what I mean.

Well said, this guy gets it ^^

In the past console at launch would be ahead of PC. PS4 and Xbone bucked this trend and were weak at launch. The mid cycle upgrades basically added at 4K upscaler and use same weak CPU.

The next gen consoles look even weaker in comparison to already existing PC architecture. Doesn't bode well for the next few years.

With consoles basically becoming a PC with an mid end APU, but forcing the buyer into a walled garden pay system, and having to pay to play online..

Why not just buy an actual PC with DGPU and save a ton on the games, and do way more with a PC. Just a thought.

Well said mate that’s why I’ll always stick with a pc you can do so much more not flaming in anyway consoles are good for ppl looking a quick blast .

Permabanned
Exactly this, DDU is quite aggressive and has been known to cause issues which can only be fixed with a rebuild of the OS.

There's zero point in using it for simply updating drivers.

DDU is best when one changes from GeForce to Radeon or vice versa. Because the drivers aggressively tend to leave traces/remnants/registry entries which tend to mess up with the new installation.

Man of Honour
DDU is best when one changes from GeForce to Radeon or vice versa. Because the drivers aggressively tend to leave traces/remnants/registry entries which tend to mess up with the new installation.
And DDU can agressively remove chipset drivers, system inf files and in use registry keys.

I've gone from AMD to Nvidia and all I've ever done on mulitple systems is uninstall one driver package and install the new one, all without issue.

Next you're going to tell me that GeForce Experience is riddled with Chinese Sypware.

Soldato
Iv'e had this before a long while ago and it's happened on 436.30, only way to describe it is from launching a game, it hits a cycle of constant black screen(no monitor)>game>black screen(no monitor).

Back to 436.15 for me.

Soldato
Still cant think of a reason to use DDU. Switch from Radeon to Geforce or vice versa?

Just regular unsinstall, reboot, delete left over folders, install. Job done.

If your system is borked to the point that your reaching for DDU, then it's time to clean install anyway. As it's fubar'd.

Back
Top Bottom