What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Washers and auto levelling are only checked if fitted as part of the MOT.

Not according to the Government. I linked above where they explicitly state that such lights REQUIRE headlight washers and self-levelling.

HID headlamp unit requirements
Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

• be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component
  • when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place)
  • comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned
In practice this means:

• the headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory
  • once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have “self-levelling suspension” and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam
  • the headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Soldato
Not according to the Government. I linked above where they explicitly state that such lights REQUIRE headlight washers and self-levelling.

VOSA/EU/Government rules and what is checked at the MOT are different. From the MOT guidelines........(4.1.5)

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Last edited:
Soldato
VOSA/EU/Government rules and what is checked at the MOT are different. Form the MOT guidlines........(4.1.5)

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Fair enough. So they may pass an MOT, but are still illegal to use without the correct washer / levellers. Why take the chance?

Soldato
from the earlier legal led discussion thought there was an additional criteria - the lumen output, once it was past 2000 (was it) you needed levelling+washers ...
hence there was some scope for aftermarket led fitting w/o level+wash, if they did were below the threshold.

edit: that
The pistonheads thread is interesting suggesting
legally LED>2000 lumens need washers/self-levelling (sealed units excepted) - is that because it is dirt that gives undesired beam deflection ?
Philips Ultinon aftermarket were not ce qualified sep17 - are there any aftermarket bulbs that are ?
The H4 comparison video shows how much light actually comes out despite these 6000/10000 lumens claims -lol

Soldato
Insurance assessors? VOSA? Police?

from the earlier legal led discussion thought there was an additional criteria - the lumen output, once it was past 2000 (was it) you needed levelling+washers ...
hence there was some scope for aftermarket led fitting w/o level+wash, if they did were below the threshold.

I think the wording of these rules is very poor and expect the manufactures have decided they don't apply. For example my wife's Mini from the factory has LED headlights brighter than the sun miles brighter than any car I driven with HIDs and it doesn't have headlight washers, LCI F30/31 3 Series comes with standard LED headlights without washers. G 5/3 series with LED headlights washers are optional. If someone is checking for the equipment a lot of illegal cars are driving around......

Caporegime
Decided to add Android Auto to the TT, the centre vents were already taken up with an Oil Temp and Battery gauges, so this way I’m going to gain a vent back (once the spare turns up).

550-AD299-6-A38-46-C2-B0-D9-E4-F9-B629437-E.jpg

Still need to wire in a microphone, and get the DVB-T stick configured for SDR DAB, but for now it’s given me Nav and audio playback from my phone, which is nice. Playback is through the CD changer interface on the standard Audi headunit, so I can still switch back to FM or CD should I want to.

Back
Top Bottom