Solskjær - tactically suspect?

Caporegime
Time isn't a guarantee of success but imagine if Alex Ferguson had been sacked in 1990, at a time when fans wanted him out?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/30709994

They're just going to end up with a new manager every 1-2 years with no long term planning if they don't give someone time. The last few seasons of chopping and changing clearly hasn't worked.

Caporegime
Time isn't a guarantee of success but imagine if Alex Ferguson had been sacked in 1990, at a time when fans wanted him out?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/30709994

They're just going to end up with a new manager every 1-2 years with no long term planning if they don't give someone time. The last few seasons of chopping and changing clearly hasn't worked.

So no manager should be sacked then? This happens every time, it's ridiculous bringing up this one exceptional circumstance in history and using it to justify keeping every manager.

Soldato
Solskjaer should be given time because Solskjaer is the right man. He shouldn't be given time because Sir Alex Ferguson was the right man 30 odd years earlier. The footballing world is very different now and I would suggest there are far more examples of clubs getting success through a change of manager than there are of clubs getting success through sticking with a manager when its felt he should go.

Where things are similar however is that the current manager is trying to make significant changes to the playing personnel and that does take time. If he is being backed to come this far you presumably have to give him the time to complete the turnaround.

Associate
We go to Manchester United this weekend, I'll give you a better judgement of what my thoughts are when I've seen them play 90 minutes (not managed to catch that yet).

On the face of it, though I'd say the transfers in/out in my opinion have been encouraging, albeit whilst I think Maguire is ok, he's never £80m... he wasn't even our best CB last season, he was about our joint third-best defender last season with Chilwell. Evans is just a different level to Maguire and Pereira is one of the best RBs in the league (thankfully, he goes under the radar a fair bit)... but Maguires England reputation seems to be carrying him.

My thoughts on Ole though is that he's trying to bring back the "good old Fergie days", and for a time it served him well, but seems as though that magic has gone now and he's in need of kickstarting that appetite, I just don't think he's the man to do it. I've never raved about the guy, and it's probably for good reason why no-one has considered him since his Cardiff stint, it just feels as though the moment he's faced with a tough question he phones a friend. I'll don't see him getting to the end of the season, you need to hope Woodward sees sense and keeps Phelan who I do think is far more critical.

Man of Honour
As a United fan, I find this title offensive. 'Tactically inept' is more like it.

I like Ole but he's way out of his depth. I'd be surprised if he's not had to be told that you can make subs earlier than the 85th minute. He just has no idea how to change a game when it's going against him, and by the time he does try to do so, the window for making an impact is gone and it's a waste of time.

Unfortunate truth is, he might survive until the end of the season, but he's not going to be here past that

fez

fez

Caporegime
Unfortunate truth is, he might survive until the end of the season, but he's not going to be here past that

I fear that once Ole is gone we will have the same issues as before when a new manager comes in. Ole is a nice guy and in some regards is a really good fit for United but as an actual coach and manager he doesn't seem up to it. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I doubt it. I think a proper top class manager would get very frustrated with this bunch of players and would eventually fall out with them like managers before Ole.

Perhaps getting rid of the deadwood will change that and a young core of players will be more willing to do what they are told but who knows. Chelsea are in a similar boat but at least when they are on form they are banging in the goals. We are scraping wins and draws when we do.

Caporegime
But you had one of the best tacticians in football (Mourinho) and still weren't happy? I don't think United fans will be happy until they get a manager who brings back the glory days of complete domination of English football but that's never going to happen, there is too much competition today with just as much (if not more) money to throw at the best players.

fez

fez

Caporegime
But you had one of the best tacticians in football (Mourinho) and still weren't happy? I don't think United fans will be happy until they get a manager who brings back the glory days of complete domination of English football but that's never going to happen, there is too much competition today with just as much (if not more) money to throw at the best players.

What’s this based on. We just want to see good football that is attacking, exciting and leads to us competing with the best clubs around.

Your opinion might have some truth if we were doing well, winning stuff and getting CL each year but not winning the PL or CL. We have woefully underperformed based on our stature, spending and position when Fergie left. We don’t expect the world, we just expect not to be performing at 50%

Caporegime
I absolutely love this comment. Football tactics haven't changed for decades. They just mix and match now as the play dictates. Give this a watch it might open your eyes.

Painfully over simplified.

Also not sure if that intro was supposed to be a joke or not but yeah, scripted simplification and generalisation of play lol :D

Man of Honour
OP
So the situation is going from bad to worse.

Of course Woodward and the owners are seriously incompetent. They are ultimately responsible for what is happening to the club. It's also worth remembering that despite their many failures, significant money has been spent.

However, I do also believe there's another major issue relating to the manager.

I was against Ole being given the job when he was, because let's face it, a new manager bounce is almost something that's expected, it's not exactly rare. He did well for the first few months but since then, the form of the team has been nothing short of atrocious. Almost relegation-tier.

Forgetting his background as a player - which is far from a guarantee that someone will be a good manager - he's done well in the Norwegian League which I'd say is the equivalent to League 2.

Why should he be backed when the players are all regressing under his management? I have seen nothing in terms of tactics, man management, recruitment plans, that show he's the right man for the job.

Soldato
Utd did have two highly rated managers though in Jose and van gaal, it all ended up the same as it is now.

Utd need structure and Woodward gone.

How did Utd fans feel about de Gea comments? His form has been **** poor for you guys past 18 months but he whined that you couldn't even get a goal

Soldato
Utd did have two highly rated managers though in Jose and van gaal

I thought Van Gaal was a bad appointment. I don’t think his track record is great. Yes he has won things but at clubs where they operate in essentially two team leagues. Other managers were far more successful at the clubs he managed and that should have rung alarm bells.

Pep immediately after Ferguson would have been ideal. The problem now is the job is such an unattractive one. What top tier manager would touch it unless they were trying to rebuild their career and needed something to prove.

Caporegime
So the situation is going from bad to worse.

Of course Woodward and the owners are seriously incompetent. They are ultimately responsible for what is happening to the club. It's also worth remembering that despite their many failures, significant money has been spent.

However, I do also believe there's another major issue relating to the manager.

I was against Ole being given the job when he was, because let's face it, a new manager bounce is almost something that's expected, it's not exactly rare. He did well for the first few months but since then, the form of the team has been nothing short of atrocious. Almost relegation-tier.

Forgetting his background as a player - which is far from a guarantee that someone will be a good manager - he's done well in the Norwegian League which I'd say is the equivalent to League 2.

Why should he be backed when the players are all regressing under his management? I have seen nothing in terms of tactics, man management, recruitment plans, that show he's the right man for the job.

Both Guardiola and Zidane had no experience what so ever. I would argue Solskjaer had more experience than both when taking over at a big club. The difference is the squads they inherited were vastly superior! People also seem to have short memories. Solskjaer schooled both Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup and Spurs in the league when he first took over! What is happening now is do with something different than tactics.

Back
Top Bottom