*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato

Pleased to see Marques actually giving Apple some **** on the Pro level naming considering the features provided, especially basic stuff like changing the camera/photo/video settings easily.

The big tech reviewers need to call them out on this stuff.

Soldato
Had they:

Included usb c

Pro motion display

Charging on the back (if it definitely not there? They can be sneaky sometimes)

May be an X variant of the chip

I could’ve gone with the pro bit

Soldato
OP
The only thing ‘Pro’ Apple makes is the Mac Pro and the iMac Pro, everything else is very much in the consumer space. It’s just marketing nothing more.

From a marketing point of view the XR was a bit of a miss, here’s why:

The main issue with the XS/XR branding is that the XS represents the iPhone and the XR represents a cut down version. That has a negative spin on it and people don’t want a cut down version (just like the 5C).

The Pro branding flips that around and the cheaper version now represents the iPhone and the Pro represents a premium option.

Will it make a difference to non-pro sales? Highly likely but you’ll not find any individuals admit to being influenced by it if directly asked. It will all come down to the numbers at the end of the day.

Oddly enough you could argue Apple copied Huawei, they called there phones pro first. I hope I am not the only one to find that amusing.

Associate
From a marketing point of view the XR was a bit of a miss, here’s why:

The main issue with the XS/XR branding is that the XS represents the iPhone and the XR represents a cut down version. That has a negative spin on it and people don’t want a cut down version (just like the 5C).

but the XR is their best selling phone...

Soldato
OP
but the XR is their best selling phone...

I didn’t deny that, my post was looking at only the branding. Could it have sold better if the branding wasn’t negative? Probably.

E.g. Which sounds better the S9/S10 (aka the flagship) or the Xr (aka the cut down iPhone)?

I'm pretty sure the 'Pro' branding has been in use on Apple products years before Huawei used it.

‘You could argue’ is the key phrase, in 12 years of iPhones this is the first Apple has branded as pro where others have been doing it for a while.

Soldato
They say the iPhone camera is the best in any smart phone, so will the 12mp camera produce better images than my 40mp camera in the p20 pro?

Man of Honour
They say the iPhone camera is the best in any smart phone, so will the 12mp camera produce better images than my 40mp camera in the p20 pro?

Ignore the fact it's a 12MP vs a 40MP. You could have a 500MB camera but if the image processing and other bits aren't up to scratch, it doesn't count for much. Apple have fallen behind in terms of image processing lately, especially in low light, so I'd take their claims with a pinch of salt, the parts might make it the best camera technically, but the processing needs to match

On a side note, I'm probably buying the 11 Pro Max now. I'm a mug, I can't help myself.

Back
Top Bottom