customer disabled usb ports

Soldato
If you're on the same network, just type mstsc into the start menu of your computer (assuming Windows of course) and type the IP address or host name of the computer you are trying to get into. You'll need the username and password for an admin user on that computer.

As for getting said IP address/hostname, you may need to log into the router you're both connected to to find out, seeing as it's input devices are bored...

Soldato
Remote desktop is not enabled by default in win10 as it's a massive attack vector so you're out of luck there. Also, if he can't login in normally, then RDP isn't going to help. And if you knew and admin username and password, then you wouldn't need RDP to login. The mind boggles why that's even a suggestion.

Get hirens boot CD, reset the password to blank and try again

Soldato
do the usb ports work in safe mode with command prompt ?
if so i think you can enable the ports through command prompt, or just uninstall them so that next boot they reinstall.

any restore points you can use ?
put the drive in another machine as boot drive (assuming w10) so that it installs the new hardware, then you can re-enable the ports and put it back again, this one will be a bit of a ballache though given its an AIO.

PS/2 keyboard a possibility?

Else, have you got a USB PCI/PCIe card? Windows should see a different hardware ID for the controller and install automatically, unless it's a wacky non-standard controller.

What machine is it? Desktop/laptop?

My first thought is they've disabled the controller in device manager, or used a group policy to disable the ports.

Associate
Or that the USB device controller on the board itself hasn't physically failed ?

To be honest there is far from enough information from the OP about the type of pic, and what the user has (or hasn't ) done.

I.e. " I was fannying about with the settings and .... "
Or
" it was working yesterday and today it's not ... "

Back
Top Bottom