• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buyer's Remorse: Just purchased a second hand 1080ti...

bru

bru

Soldato
Hey guys, remember like a decade ago when £400 would pretty much get you the fastest card of the generation? welp!

I so wanted to say "no way they were dearer than that", but alas I cannot as your quite right.

10years-ago.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20090916141059/http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=56&sortby=priceDesc

Oh look how far we have come in a mere ten years (for good or for ill):)

GTX285.jpg

9 times the performance for 3 times the price. Hold on that makes the currant cards sound like a bargain, which wasn't the intention at all. :eek:;):eek:

Soldato
You can't compare the performance by how many times faster it is to work out value of cards now. Its comparing where the card fits in the hierarchy of the time and doing the same for the cards now

Soldato
I so wanted to say "no way they were dearer than that", but alas I cannot as your quite right.

10years-ago.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20090916141059/http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=56&sortby=priceDesc

Oh look how far we have come in a mere ten years (for good or for ill):)

GTX285.jpg

9 times the performance for 3 times the price. Hold on that makes the currant cards sound like a bargain, which wasn't the intention at all. :eek:;):eek:
Where are the amd cards priced back then?

Soldato
I was talking about the 2070 super as a whole been ahead of the 1080ti these days.
You, specifically, said that the 2070S is "ahead of" the 1080 Ti "for the most part" now, in response to a post saying the 1080 Ti was faster. You mentioned frame rates in the same post, so it's very clear what you were talking about. Just admit that you were wrong and stop the furious backpeddling and deflection. :)

Soldato
People who travel 24/7.

There is no way they are a proper replacement for competitive gaming and will be a long time before they are.
I much prefer and will probably use the geforce now one, it let's you play games you already have installed on various platforms and with full rtx, so even on my phone when traveling I can play cyber punk on max everything 4k, sounds good to me

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't remeber that at all
I do. I got a 4870 on release which was the fastest and cost about £200. Back then our pound was very strong though. Was like 2 to 1.

That is why I always look at the dollar cost to know if the graphics card prices have increased or not. Nvidia took the piscuit with the 2080 Ti. Lets see what they will do with the 3080 Ti.

Caporegime
I much prefer and will probably use the geforce now one, it let's you play games you already have installed on various platforms and with full rtx, so even on my phone when traveling I can play cyber punk on max everything 4k, sounds good to me

Great for single player gaming when travelling.

Which is a niche market which the switch has a great product for also.

I tried doing it in the car 7 hour drive last weekend and I got a headache and felt off likely motion sickness so it's not for me. I'll try again when flying for 9 hours in October hopefully better suited for a plane with less movement.

Soldato
I do. I got a 4870 on release which was the fastest and cost about £200. Back then our pound was very strong though. Was like 2 to 1.

That is why I always look at the dollar cost to know if the graphics card prices have increased or not. Nvidia took the piscuit with the 2080 Ti. Lets see what they will do with the 3080 Ti.
Piscuit-absolutely fantastic, mind if I steal that?

Associate
I made an account here after a long time of being a lurker/dedicated customer just so you guys can either validate me, or unreservedly call me an idiot.

As I'm moving abroad soon to a place where GPU's are mind-bogglingly marked up, I thought I would upgrade my 1070 to something a bit "more". After way less research than I usually put into PC part components (say, a couple of hours instead of a few weeks of losing sleep), I pulled the trigger on an EVGA FTW3 1080ti for around £400 after selling my 1070 for £200. I specifically chose this card because of its cooler, and the fact that it can only just fit in my Dan Cases A4. I considered the Asus trade in, but none of their cards (apart from the blower) would fit in that case. Also, due to logistics of moving, I am somewhat (but not super) strapped for cash.

Now, as the card is in transit, I'm starting to somewhat regret my decision after more carefully watching videos and reading articles of comparisons with the 5700XT and 2070 Super.

Did I actually make a bad decision on this? I don't know, honestly - it seems to be a little faster at the moment, but I now realise there will be driver updates to newer cards which will maybe push them up and above in the coming years and months.

Looking on eBay, I could probably flip this 1080ti for a little more cash (given there's another £1 selling promotion). However, is it worth the hassle? I don't have much time left before I leave the country so action must be done quick...

Thanks guys, and sorry for being an idiot like this in my first post here.

should have just bought a new gen card 5700 or 5700xt

Back
Top Bottom