• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus TUF B450 and Ryzen 3600 No Display

Associate
OP
Thanks for everyone's help I've now ordered the msi tomahawk and boxed up the asus b450 board.. Fingers crossed its all plain sailing now.

Much appreciated :)

Associate
OP
So to confirm I am doing right by ordering a tomohawk max aren't I? I assume it won't have an updated bios bit will have the ability to flash it from USB without an older cpu?

Regarding a b450 board. Im right in thinking the newer boards won't improve any performance and only benefit is that they support sli? Which for the record I have no interest or plans of using.

Just realised the msi tomohawk has better sound as well :) that's a bonus ovet the realtek.

Soldato
Non-MAX Tomahawk wouldn't have been much of problem.

Almost all MSI's B450 boards have hardware routine for flashing BIOS from USB with only board and PSU:

That should be common feature in motherboards.
But instead marketroids waste money to fashion trash and RGB gimmicks.

Associate
OP
Non-MAX Tomahawk wouldn't have been much of problem.

Almost all MSI's B450 boards have hardware routine for flashing BIOS from USB with only board and PSU:

That should be common feature in motherboards.
But instead marketroids waste money to fashion trash and RGB gimmicks.

Who are considered the best brand for motherboards nowadays? MSI?

When I bought mine gigabyte and asus were arguably the best apparnently but know things change.

Associate

When I bought mine gigabyte and asus were arguably the best apparnently but know things change.
All of them have their fair share of good and terrible motherboards.

MSI had quite a few decent B450 motherboards for the price, but their mid to lower end X570 boards are really disappointing.

Soldato

Like Buildzoid has said it, they all suck in something and have had and will have trash products occasionally.

For example in B450/X470 Asus and Gigabyte had many boards with the worst CPU VRMs good only for 65W TDP CPUs.
Now even the cheapest Asus X570 board has VRM good for coming 16 core.
Also except for Gaming X Gigabyte has good VRMs in their X570 boards.
MSI again had overall the best VRMs of B450. (Gaming Plus/Tomahawk/Carbon)
But they copypasted same VRM components into lower X570 boards, making those crap compared to Asus and Gigabyte lower end and you need to pay arm and leg to get good VRM MSI X570 board.
Also ASRock uses some very cheap component VRMs in three lowest boards making you pay more for modern VRM board

Both Gigabyte and MSI have now BIOS Flashback as standard feature in all X570 boards...
While ASRock and Asus make you pay arm and leg for that.

Or say you want two USB3 headers for four USB3 ports in front of the case?
All Gigabyte and MSI boards have two USB3 headers, but Asus?
Only the cheapest Prime X570-P has that. Unless counting in buttrape, murder and robbery priced Crosshair Formula!
Also common in ASRocks, except for Taichi which is the cheapest ASRock with modern VRM!

In short:
Don't trust brand and marketing to mean that you actually get features price sticker should give.

Soldato
Like Buildzoid has said it, they all suck in something and have had and will have trash products occasionally.

For example in B450/X470 Asus and Gigabyte had many boards with the worst CPU VRMs good only for 65W TDP CPUs.
Now even the cheapest Asus X570 board has VRM good for coming 16 core.
Also except for Gaming X Gigabyte has good VRMs in their X570 boards.
MSI again had overall the best VRMs of B450. (Gaming Plus/Tomahawk/Carbon)
But they copypasted same VRM components into lower X570 boards, making those crap compared to Asus and Gigabyte lower end and you need to pay arm and leg to get good VRM MSI X570 board.
Also ASRock uses some very cheap component VRMs in three lowest boards making you pay more for modern VRM board

Both Gigabyte and MSI have now BIOS Flashback as standard feature in all X570 boards...
While ASRock and Asus make you pay arm and leg for that.

Or say you want two USB3 headers for four USB3 ports in front of the case?
All Gigabyte and MSI boards have two USB3 headers, but Asus?
Only the cheapest Prime X570-P has that. Unless counting in buttrape, murder and robbery priced Crosshair Formula!
Also common in ASRocks, except for Taichi which is the cheapest ASRock with modern VRM!

In short:
Don't trust brand and marketing to mean that you actually get features price sticker should give.

Whilst I agree that the lower ASROck boards don't have the VRM's the top boards have. I have one of the cheapest ASROCK X570 Boards Phantom Gaming 4 (£160) and it has 6 of my 8 3800X cores hot 4.5Ghz + (obviously not all at the same time) and during gaming PUBG ( in afterburner) shows a steady all core load of 4.350-4.4. My bench scores are the same as 3800X in much more expensive boards. So far happy with it. I wish they made boards with just the high spec VRM's but without all teh extra 10GB lan, wifi and loads of stuff I don't need.

High quality VRM boards are to get maximum OC or extreme overclock for benching, if you aren't trying to get to the last few Mhz for bench scores then I'm not so convinced in needing to get the top VRM stuff, especially as some of the top boards are £750. Extra £200 for some of the higher VRM boards for how much extra % performance in real world tasks such as gaming? I guess after heat saturation a more expensive board may throttle the CPU later once the current and heat parameters are met for the OC algorithm.

I'm not entirely convinced at this point that high end board will give you much more performance for a CPU which basically is now OC'd within the algorithm on the CPU. Only the later BIOS's I guess may we see any decent gains from pure VRM quality with these Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Though the 3950X may show up where high quality VRM's are a must.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Considering all these VRM's have chunky heatspreaders with most boards then if the temps are getting toasty just stick a fan directly at it or get good case airflow as stated in the strange tier list screenshot shown earlier in the post. As @Woodsta888 mentions there is a point of diminishing returns on pricing and before you know it your paying for features most will not use. The whole point of using the B450 boards was cheapest way for an upgrade as it accepted the CPU it just needed a BIOS flash.

If money was no problem then I would just have bought an x570.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info. I think this b450 will do the job tbh. I've got a water cooler in it and 3 corsair 120 LL fans in it so It should be cool enough.

Are the 3600 overclock able and if so is it worth it? I read people getting them upto 4. 1ghz but said they weren't really worth the hassle? Just thinking of a few years down the road if my son wants to overclock it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are the 3600 overclock able and if so is it worth it? I read people getting them upto 4. 1ghz but said they weren't really worth the hassle? Just thinking of a few years down the road if my son wants to overclock it?
Enabling PBO is pretty much the most sensible approach.
That gives some extra automatic boost clocks.

I wish they made boards with just the high spec VRM's but without all teh extra 10GB lan, wifi and loads of stuff I don't need.
Asus Prime X570-P or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite have modern high efficiency VRM with integrated power stages.
Gigabyte could just use little better heatsinks, though removing that IO shroud should help some.

Because of having better heatsinks without that cooling sabotaging IO shroud Prime X570-P has actually cooler VRM than TUF X570.
TUF's theoretical 600A max current just doesn't give benefit over X570-P's 400A max without some more exotic cooling overclocking.
3950X could change that, but for gaming use I don't see any slightest sense in it.

Back
Top Bottom