**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
I'm obviously a bit late to the discussion but those saying no ultra wide is a deal breaker, why not just take a photosphere. That's what I do on the 2xl and it works well for me.

Soldato
I'm obviously a bit late to the discussion but those saying no ultra wide is a deal breaker, why not just take a photosphere. That's what I do on the 2xl and it works well for me.

Pano modes work well sometimes but it's a little more hassle, especially with (moving) people. Also buildings take on more distortion than you would get with an ultra wide shot.

Soldato
You have the pixel 4XL for about £750+

Now lets look at the specs of a phone I may get.
Nubia Z20 UK version £500+

Triple camera 48 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), 1/2", 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
8 MP (telephoto), 3x optical zoom
16 MP, 12mm (ultrawide)
Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama. 2,5 Macro
Video 4320@15fps, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720p@1920fps

Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm)

Front screen 6.42 inches, 101.2 cm2 (~84.8% screen-to-body ratio)
Rear screen AMOLED, 5.1 inches, 1080 x 2340 pixels, Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Selfie camera
Uses main cameras
Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR, panorama
4320@15fps, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720p@1920fps

You squeeze the sides to launch apps.
https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z20-9780.php

Now to me and the way prices are going up.
This phone has top specs at a mid range price and has 2 screens.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you buy that over a pixel then good luck. And get used to whatever version of android that comes with it because you have that until you get rid of the phone. And when you do get shot of it look fwd to peanuts resell value.

Pros and cons mate.

Soldato
That's exactly it. Specs are only half the story with Android... Software matters too.

This is what people seem to struggle grasping, cramming the kitchen sink into a phone isn't indicative of a phone's user experience.

If people stop and think a little, great hardware isn't even a USP for anyone in the market. Any OEM can get the latest and greatest chips from Qualcomm or the latest and greatest mobile sensors from Sony. Samsung are a great example of this, they have the ability to use their own imaging sensors and SoCs but there's always some discussion being had about the Exynos vs Qualcomm and Sony vs Samsung ISO cell variants in terms of battery life, power & image quality. Basically, even a giant like Samsung isn't able to offer anything different to Qualcomm and Sony.

The P30 Pro has top end camera specs but it failed to take consistently good photos from the main sensor when in good light, often over processing the raw data from the sensor.

Soldato
Too true.

If I wanted a "kitchen sink" then I'd buy a Samsung. The problem with those is that they run ****droid, not Android. So I buy Pixels.

Soldato
Broke my screen on the pixel 2xl would I be mad to order one plus 7 pro or should I wait for this? Not spending 1k on a phone though.

No one knows how much Pixel 4 will be yet, launch event is rumoured to be on 15th October. Though considering Pixel 3 sales weren't that great one would hope Pixel 4 will be the same price or even slightly less.

Soldato
Broke my screen on the pixel 2xl would I be mad to order one plus 7 pro or should I wait for this? Not spending 1k on a phone though.

One plus is a great phone. If it were me being a pixel fan I would wait another few weeks to see what's what.

You can get a replacement glass for the 2xl for about £12 on eBay or the whole lot for about £45 including LCD.

Associate
Pano modes work well sometimes but it's a little more hassle, especially with (moving) people. Also buildings take on more distortion than you would get with an ultra wide shot.

Fair points although supposedly the pixel 4 may feature some processing to reduce distortion. We will just have to wait and see...

Soldato
That's exactly it. Specs are only half the story with Android... Software matters too.
Exactly the software is what makes the pixel so great.

You always receive updates, the last non Google phone I had was a Sony z3. After waiting for the updates that never arrived I never bought a non Google Android.

The p30 appears to get good updates and the iPhone seems well supported.

Associate
Probably already aware, but unless you're DESPERATE to get this on launch, always worth waiting a few weeks for the inevitable "Google Offer" price drop. If I recall, they lowered the price of the Pixel 2XL (and 3?) by around £100 about a month after launch. If you've got plenty of cash, then I guess it doesn't matter!

Soldato
The more I read/watch about the Pixel 4 the more I want another phone.

- The display is 90hz with a 2800mAh battery :(
- I’m not going to use gesture control so the new Soli sensor feature is useless to me.
- I don’t intend doing any Astro photography so the new software feature is also pointless, along with the sports motion photo feature. [I use my DSLR for sports]
- I’m not interested in Google Assistant.

Soldato
The more I read/watch about the Pixel 4 the more I want another phone.

- The display is 90hz with a 2800mAh battery :(
- I’m not going to use gesture control so the new Soli sensor feature is useless to me.
- I don’t intend doing any Astro photography so the new software feature is also pointless, along with the sports motion photo feature. [I use my DSLR for sports]
- I’m not interested in Google Assistant.

Sounds like you want a Nokia 3210 or something else from about 20 years ago mate.

Seriously though gestures give you more screen space and speed once you master them. Plus you can turn them off and have the old style buttons if you want.

And if you have no interest in Google assistant then I would 100% look elsewhere. Again though you can turn it off and most other brands like apple and Samsung have something similar baked in.

Assistant with voice and all that 'ok Google ' stuff is great for me. Mainly saying 'ok Google turn the WiFi and TV off' when my kids are on the sofa for to long :D

Back
Top Bottom