• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU price hike

Permabanned
so you think rather than lower prices and continue to make money albeit a little less, but maybe more sales due to more people having access to it, they would shut down and stop making any money all together? ok then righto.

More sales means more money, not less money. And more market share, besides all the other benefits.

In profit making there is no value for anyone. Even for the shareholders. It is just a temporary effect which misleads them, and in the long term, they lose a lot.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
More sales means more money, not less money. And more market share, besides all the other benefits.

In profit making there is no value for anyone. Even for the shareholders. It is just a temporary effect which misleads them, and in the long term, they lose a lot.
I think you may have revenue confused with profit. You can make billions in sales (revenue) but end up with little to no profit, worse a loss. AMD know this very well. It is possible to sell less units at bigger margins and make more profit also.

In a nutshell profit is profit. More sales does not always equal to more profit :)

Associate

if only business was this black and white :D, TNA has it right.

just to show you how complicated sales can actually be; an example is sony, they lose money on the consoles, but make there money back from the software sold, which more than makes up for the hardware loss.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft makes a loss on xbox sales as well.

But now everyone charges console prices for PC games as well, even though it's an open platform requiring no licencing etc :/

Soldato
if only business was this black and white :D, TNA has it right.

just to show you how complicated sales can actually be; an example is sony, they lose money on the consoles, but make there money back from the software sold, which more than makes up for the hardware loss.
You're right too but it's a different market however.
Maybe NV should charge £800 for the 2080 Ti, although they'd not supply enough to meet demand probably, and then £50 for each new driver release to support new games? :) So, it'll never cost you more than £800 if you play games older than when the hardware was released.

PC games costing similar to that of console variants is unfortunately down to the game software development houses.

Permabanned
I don't understand why AMD doesn't design GPUs to be able to handle 4K in the same way as RX 5700XT handles Full HD?

That will solve them the problem of ever lasting performance lag against nvidia.

Soldato
You're right too but it's a different market however.
Maybe NV should charge £800 for the 2080 Ti, although they'd not supply enough to meet demand probably, and then £50 for each new driver release to support new games? :) So, it'll never cost you more than £800 if you play games older than when the hardware was released.

PC games costing similar to that of console variants is unfortunately down to the game software development houses.

People would just pirate/hack the drivers. Or refuse to pay for the updates then complain non stop on their forums for them to fix old drivers :D

Associate
I don't understand why AMD doesn't design GPUs to be able to handle 4K in the same way as RX 5700XT handles Full HD?

That will solve them the problem of ever lasting performance lag against nvidia.
if its that simple why dont you go ahead and do it?:p besides 4k aint truly mainstream yet, if it was everyone would be running 2070/80/5700/xt etc and that just simply isnt the case. there are still thousands of people running last gen hardware in the mid to mid-high range (myself included here with a v64). the simple answer is if they can produce a card that competes with the 2070/80/70s or whatever, why do they need a halo product as when you say 4k that's what you really mean. they dont, the 5700 series proved that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Lol. With comments like these I can see why you don't understand :p:D

Permabanned
if its that simple why dont you go ahead and do it? besides 4k aint truly mainstream yet, if it was everyone would be running 2070/80/5700/xt etc and that just simply isnt the case. there are still thousands of people running last gen hardware in the mid to mid-high range (myself included here with a v64). the simple answer is if they can produce a card that competes with the 2070/80/70s or whatever, why do they need a halo product as when you say 4k that's what you really mean. they dont, the 5700 series proved that.

Lol. With comments like these I can see why you don't understand

Rofl. It might be that you lack understanding more than I do. Dr. Lisa Su has previously clarified that they design the future products based on their estimates where the competition will be then.

So, question - how on Earth did AMD manage to overtake intel's IPC but no way in hell can they even touch the previous generation of nvidia's ? ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Really? is that the one X? because I know the PS4 and Xbox One have been sold at a profit since launch, hence the subpar hardware.
I was under the impression Sony stopped doing the making a loss thing after PS3 where they made big losses on the hardware. Maybe he is thinking of an old story that applied to the previous gen.

Rofl. It might be that you lack understanding more than I do. Dr. Lisa Su has previously clarified that they design the future products based on their estimates where the competition will be then.

So, question - how on Earth did AMD manage to overtake intel's IPC but no way in hell can they even touch the previous generation of nvidia's ? ?
Lol again. Don't think this is the case at all. If it was that easy then why not slap an extra 50% performance in there to guarantee being the best card and charge silly money for it?

I could explain to you my understanding of it, but I get the feeling you would just continue arguing yours :p

Why are you telling me what Lisa Su says anyway, I could raise you with a load of ******** Jensen regularly says? :D

Permabanned
Lol again. Don't think this is the case at all. If it was that easy then why not slap an extra 50% performance in there to guarantee being the best card and charge silly money for it?

I could explain to you my understanding of it, but I get the feeling you would just continue arguing yours :p

It was easy to design Zen, right? My question is why.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It was easy to design Zen, right? My question is why.
Dude, that was something that took them like half a decade or more and they brought in Jim Keller to sort a good design out for them. Not just that but AMD have hardly had any money and they put most of the R&D into Zen, not into GPU products. That is my understanding anyway.

Honestly, this stuff is a lot more complicated than you are making it sound like which makes me think you don't understand it.

Oh and AMD and Zen 2 is looking so good because Intel dropped the ball big time with the 7nm fabs. Otherwise they would still be ahead.

Why don't you answer my question? If it was that easy then why not slap an extra 50% performance in there to guarantee being the best card and charge silly money for it?

bru

bru

Soldato
Oh dear, somebody either doesn't understand the difficulties in designing these types of chips or they are just trolling.

Associate
I was under the impression Sony stopped doing the making a loss thing after PS3 where they made big losses on the hardware. Maybe he is thinking of an old story that applied to the previous gen.
ps4 made a loss at launch and wasnt recovered until after launch. i think they are now sold at a profit (marginally) not that it matters really. :)

Back
Top Bottom