Misgendering? Sam Smith is now they or them, not he or him?!

Soldato
Sam Smith is a gay man, that's all. Being confused about how you feel doesn't mean you're suddenly a different gender or no gender applies.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I think my issue with it is purely one of how it is taken. On reflection, I think I worded the OP badly.

If I meet someone, and they tell me they are non binary and prefer to be called by a specific way, I will certainly do my very best to accommodate them. That was never a problem, but the idea that I accidentally refer to Sam Smith (who I only vaguely knew about before this thread) in the wrong way should not be offensive to him, and I guess that provided people dont just use this an excuse to beat someone over it in public, then that's fine!

Mistakes happen, and unless someone is wilfully using the wrong term to upset you, then there not much to it really.

Soldato
Something I don't understand and I am probably missing something really obvious, is that how someone can look at another gender and say "I feel like I'm supposed to be that gender" or like Sam Smith says "I am neither of these". How do they know what another gender feels like to know they should be like that when they have been in their body their whole lives? I get it may be to do with how they grow up. Seeing boys plays with trains, girl with dolls type thing, but then that surely is learned behaviour and not innate in their minds and not "I have always been an X and was born into the wrong body".

Possibly going to get destroyed for this comment, but my question is genuine and not intended to be offensive in any way at all.

Caporegime
'Sam Smith in latest bid for relevance.'

b027nl5.jpg

Man of Honour
Only by people with mental health issues.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/they-is-a-singular-pronoun/

This chameleon word is also a singular pronoun, and it has been for centuries. Lexicographers have determined that as far back as the 1300s, they has been used as a gender-neutral pronoun, a word that was substituted in place of either he (a masculine singular pronoun) or she (a feminine singular pronoun), e.g., Each student should get their supplies ready for class. Each student is singular, but we don’t know (or need to know) the gender/sex identity of each student in this situation, so their is perfectly handy. Even Chaucer, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and other beloved writers of the English literary canon used singular they.

Man of Honour
I put this is another thread not so long ago.
We were discussing a relative dying and this girl who is the girlfriend of the bloke whose Mum is dying totally ruined the thread because someone called her 'her'.

frog.jpg

Back
Top Bottom