What is the most you have spent on a game?

I was thinking about how much playing Dirt Rally 2 has cost me.

Base game: £18.94

Missing a snow stage so bought one

Sweden: £2.99

But then I needed a new wheel as my old r440 wont work any more and using a Xbox controller doesn't cut it.

New wheel: £94

The of course my VR experience wasn't quite what I wanted it to be with my aging 290x

2nd hand 1070 : £155

Then I needed the whole game

Season 1,2,3,4 :£44.99

£315.92 to play a rally game.

I wonder if I need a new special chair now....

I probably spend more when I built my first i7 rig but these were just upgrades to play and many were 2nd hand. If I had bought new, it would have been prohibitive, price wise.

What's your shopping list for a specific game?

Caporegime

But then I needed a new wheel as my old r440 wont work any more and using a Xbox controller doesn't cut it.

The of course my VR experience wasn't quite what I wanted it to be with my aging 290x

I probably spend more when I built my first i7 rig but these were just upgrades to play and many were 2nd hand. If I had bought new, it would have been prohibitive, price wise.

If you think that’s too much, just be thankful you’re not a flight sim enthusiast. Add on aircraft, scenery, mesh terrains, weather engines, lighting. The list is endless. I’ve seen people on flight sim forums rack up well over 3k on software in search of the perfect flight sim experience.

It all still is for one game in the end, FSX.

Soldato
I believe solely for software content on same game it has been Elder Scrolls Online.

Base game + chapters out at time: £25
Morrowind Expansion: £15
Summerset Isle Expansion: £20
Purchasing Crowns: £159.52 according to steam
ESO + Subscription : £104.87

So around £324.39 for it in all. More then I thought adding it all up, but put in just under 3000 hours so just under 11 pence an hour is not too bad.

Associate
Toss up between Wow and Star citizen, with diablo 3 in a distant 3rd.

I bought Diablo 3 a bunch of times, base game x2 on PC for me and my brother, plus expansion, base game on xbox 360, expansion on xbox 360 and full game on PS4.

I do not want to do the maths on how much I've spent on wow and star citizen as it would just upset me and anyone who reads it.

Soldato
Star Wars Galaxies

Base game - £19.99
Expansions - £30
Monthly sub from 2005 to 2010 - £9.50
Loot cards - £40

No regrets....

Soldato
For just the game it would be witcher 3 as I bought the physical edition for £35, then the steam version for £35 then both dlc on launch for about £25 total.

So £95 which I am happy with as I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Hardware isn't really relevant cause I bought my first PC for BF3 which was like £800...

Associate
probably both Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls expansion collectors Editions on release. EDIT - also an RoS digital Edition because the CE was going to be a few days late for reasons i cant remember and i really wanted to play it, so the CE is still unopened.

or Hellgate London + the lifetime sub.

Soldato
I probably sunk £100-£150 into World of Tanks I was playing it heavily 4-5 years ago. A couple of premium tanks and using gold to free up XP grinding for the fully loaded Tiger and Panther.

Pretty much gave up after playing the Tiger for a while as the matchmaking always pitched me against higher tier tanks and the Belorussian devs made the Tiger something of a glass canon.

Man of Honour
It will be an MMO for me, not sure which one, but I've been subscribed to ones in the past which have been £35 for the box and then £10 a month and have played for 4+ years, which would make it a minimum of over £500. Subscription fees for MMOs soon rack up once you actually add all those months worth of subscription up. If I had played WoW consistently since release I would have stumped up something over £1000 by now.

A sum of money that is dwarved by the amounts that some people have so far spent on Star Citizen ships of course.

Man of Honour
I don't even want to add up what I spent related to Eve Online...

I spent almost 6 years paying 3-4x monthly subs plus most months buying a bit of plex for conversion to ISK. Built a whole new multi-monitor rig for multi-boxing, then didn't like the setup and tried moving to a 4K monitor + 1x additional monitor but didn't like that much and changed setup again.

EDIT: Just rough numbers but I probably spent somewhere between 3 and 6K on direct transactions to the game and another £5-6K on hardware (most of that changing monitors around several times over 2011-2014 trying to find the perfect setup for multi-boxing and a laptop with tons of RAM for running multiple clients when not at home) I wouldn't have bought otherwise if not for playing the game.

Last edited:
Soldato

Elite dangerous
£125 for the game
£300 for a flight seat
£180 for HOTAS
£600 for oculus rift
(I won't count the price for touch and extra sensor)
About £20 in skins.
£400 for a gtx 980
£750 for rest of pc upgrade

It really was a domino effect.
I wanted elite
elite is better in VR
My pc needed upgrade for VR
And elite is better with hotas and flight seat.

On the bright side I don't need to include cost of rift DK2 as it only net cost me £30 as I sold it 4 months before I got CV1

Associate
WoW, just through the subscription fee's alone!, then base game + expansions would easily put it over £1000, although for me that's money well spent considering how many years I've gotten out of it.

Not including MMO's, then Europa Universalis IV, game + some dlc according to steam has cost me £102.32.

Soldato
Probably about £100 on League skins.

Runescape through my teens/early twenties would have added up tho especially pre bonds. So realistically maybe about £3-400 on Runescape but there's no way to tell. So League at around £100 because I can see the results on my account.

Associate
Elite dangerous
It really was a domino effect.
I wanted elite
elite is better in VR
My pc needed upgrade for VR
And elite is better with hotas and flight seat.

On the bright side I don't need to include cost of rift DK2 as it only net cost me £30 as I sold it 4 months before I got CV1

Exact same as you.
DK2, Vive (back when it was horridly expensive), HOTAS and a PC upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom