• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 Super with a 4770K @ 4.5?

Associate
I don't want to upgrade my whole PC just yet so I'm thinking about just buying a new monitor and a new GPU to support it.

The monitor will definitely be 144Hz 1440p and I'm almost set on a 2070 Super. I will also be upgrading my RAM from 8GB to 16GB.

My question is, is my 4770K @ 4.5 going to be enough?

Soldato
Entirely depends on the game, as always. That CPU will be a gigantic bottleneck in something like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, but will be perfectly fine in, say, Wolfenstein: Youngblood (or most Vulkan titles for that matter). Look up the games that you want to play and make a decision based on how they perform. G-Sync will be a massive help if you have it (or any VRR monitor these days really).

Associate
I've a 2070 super, originally paired with i7 4790k @4.6mainly playing f1 2019, forza horizon 4 dirt 2,@1440p upgraded to 3600x and couldn't honestly notice any difference, so yeah as said depends on what you play really, think gsync is more important

Associate
Open world games could give you a problem I know the latest witcher game needs more than 4 threads. The best thing to do is suck it and see :D

Associate
I imagine games like Hitman will struggle, here's a video comparing quad cores with 6/8 core CPUs, yours is slightly slower than a 2400g. Be warned though when next gen of consoles hit you probably need 6 cores/12 threads

For the same money as a 2700 Super you could get a 5700, flash it to 5700 XT Bios and buy a Ryzen 2600 and a B450 board. GPU wise you'd be fairly close to the 2700 S

Permabanned
I tend to find the what an upgrade from a series four to a seven, eight or nine will do smooth out the gameplay during some times when the fps is struggling. I mean most of the time you won't see much difference but in mmo's when you enter a town that's full of other players it may make a significant difference to the framerate. Overall though, the CPU has less of an impact than the GPU and unless you have specific issues in games you may well not notice any difference at all.

Permabanned
That CPU will be a gigantic bottleneck

Is it really that bad? :( :( :(

I thought I could keep it for a couple more years. Oh well :(

No it's not that bad, you'll be fine,
Yes games are finally starting to use more cores but a 4 core 8 thread cpu isn't suddenly obsolete because of that, A 4.5ghz overclock on a Haswell cpu is a decent overclock & like the newer 6700k & 7700K it'll remain more than capable of running your games for years to come.

The monitor will definitely be 144Hz 1440p and I'm almost set on a 2070 Super.

The most important thing I can come up with is that regardless of whether you go an Nvidia or AMD GPU don't buy a G-sync monitor, instead go for an adaptive sync model which you can use with any gpu including Intels upcoming range. G-sync will lock you into Nvidia's eco system which simply isn't the smart choice anymore.

G-sync was the first to market version of adaptive sync offering a game changing experience for desktop users but it's a one horse race & with Nvidia now supporting adaptive sync what we've been collectively calling Freesync monitors can offer a G-sync matching experience, just make sure to do your homework on the tech & the monitors because not all Freesync monitors are alike, being an open source feature there's good and bad models out there & some are just crap. Freesync 2 models have all the features but if there isn't a Freesync 2 version of the monitor you want make sure the Freesync version supports LFC in doing so it ensures the monitor's panel has a wide adaptive sync working range as well as the ability to smooth out the experience if the framerate dips below 30 or whatever the minimum is on the monitors working range.

Man of Honour
I imagine games like Hitman will struggle, here's a video comparing quad cores with 6/8 core CPUs, yours is slightly slower than a 2400g. Be warned though when next gen of consoles hit you probably need 6 cores/12 threads

For the same money as a 2700 Super you could get a 5700, flash it to 5700 XT Bios and buy a Ryzen 2600 and a B450 board. GPU wise you'd be fairly close to the 2700 S

Clock for clock I found my 4820K traded blows with the 2600 for the most part there were some games the 6/12 config gave the 2600 a strong lead but other games that held up well on Intel's IPC. 4770K should be a similar story - that said I'm not sure how much I benefit from quad channel over the 4770's dual - nVidia's DX11 hacks for instance seem to somewhat benefit from fast, low latency RAM on older architectures.

For a lot of games if you turned off the framerate counter you wouldn't have known which CPU it was they were generally so close - my 4820K actually edged it as it will clock to 5GHz while the 2600 I was using only hit ~4.3GHz.

Associate
OP
No it's not that bad, you'll be fine,
Yes games are finally starting to use more cores but a 4 core 8 thread cpu isn't suddenly obsolete because of that, A 4.5ghz overclock on a Haswell cpu is a decent overclock & like the newer 6700k & 7700K it'll remain more than capable of running your games for years to come.

The most important thing I can come up with is that regardless of whether you go an Nvidia or AMD GPU don't buy a G-sync monitor, instead go for an adaptive sync model which you can use with any gpu including Intels upcoming range. G-sync will lock you into Nvidia's eco system which simply isn't the smart choice anymore.

G-sync was the first to market version of adaptive sync offering a game changing experience for desktop users but it's a one horse race & with Nvidia now supporting adaptive sync what we've been collectively calling Freesync monitors can offer a G-sync matching experience, just make sure to do your homework on the tech & the monitors because not all Freesync monitors are alike, being an open source feature there's good and bad models out there & some are just crap. Freesync 2 models have all the features but if there isn't a Freesync 2 version of the monitor you want make sure the Freesync version supports LFC in doing so it ensures the monitor's panel has a wide adaptive sync working range as well as the ability to smooth out the experience if the framerate dips below 30 or whatever the minimum is on the monitors working range.

Yep the monitor I'll be buying is going to be the LG 27GL850-B which I believe has adaptive sync.

Caporegime
I've done similar many times, bought in stages and swapped video card from an older build into a new build. Most times over the years I've changed video card at least once with the rest of the build and carried over the video card from old to new. Minimum FPS won't likely change but maximum and average FPS will no doubt increase. Most games are still heavily GPU bound so you'll see an improvement nearly everywhere.

Permabanned
Yep the monitor I'll be buying is going to be the LG 27GL850-B which I believe has adaptive sync.

That's good, I class adaptive sync as a must have feature now, just make sure it also has LFC & a wide working range as LG's first gen models were awful, so bad that it was almost impossible to find out what the working range on many of their adaptive sync monitors was. For many it was as little as 12hz wide which was not deserving of the monikers Freesync & Gaming that they gave them. I think they're a lot better now,

Use this list for info on what the adaptive sync monitors support:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

I just had a look & the 27GL850 is there but not your B model,
The 27GL850 has a working range of 48 to 144 via dp or 48 to 100 via hdmi, 48's a bit higher than I personally like but it does support LFC, I've briefly owned and tested 3 different Freesync monitors, One was a 144hz 1440p model with a working range from 40hz to 90 hz & that was by far the worst of the three and the other two were ultrawide models, one with a 40hz minimum & the one I settled on had a 30hz minimum with LFC. I'm still using that one now & I can't stress how important doing your homework on this is, as someone else once said the adaptive-sync monitor market is like a minefield.

Permabanned
It is a decent cpu i am putting a 2080ti in mine on monday to game at 4k. I am not worried but i would be at 1440p. Everytime someone says those words to me i die inside because once again it shows it is a bad pick over the superior 1080p DSR displays.

Blurry images from low hz check
Low ppi at 109 check
Too large to get 27" on a desk check
Far more expensive than 24" 240hz check
Can never use DSR to try 4k from 1080p check

Back
Top Bottom