22 pin sata drive

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Hi, i bought what was advertised as a 2tb hard drive from an auction site, when it arrived I went to connect it up but was surprised that it wouldn't connect, as the sata connectors on the drive wouldn;t take the cables, a bit of research later I have discovered that this is because the drive has a 22 pin sata socket not the normal one. Can anyone tell me why this is and if I can use an adapter? thanks

kdd

kdd

Soldato
OP
So it is a SAS drive. Unless you have something with SAS ports that drive isn't going to be of any use to you.
Thanks, i contacted the seller and he says its becuase im trying to connect a sata 3 drive to a sata 2 port... ill see what fleabay says.

Soldato
SATA connections are both backwards and forwards compatible.

What did the listing say? Was for example the drive model name and/or part number included?

Associate
According to this there should be a SAS and SATA II controller that can be interchanged:
https://www.storagereview.com/seagate_constellation_es_review_2tb

ES_BOT_small.jpg

ES_BOARD_small.jpg

ES_BOARD_1_small.jpg

Soldato
Them selling SATA and SAS versions of the same drive doesn't mean the controllers can be swapped, especially at the end-user level.

You can't even reliably interchange identical controller boards because of the drive specific calibration data that's stored on them.

The question here is whether it was the OP or the seller that made the mistake.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
OP
Them selling SATA and SAS versions of the same drive doesn't mean the controllers can be swapped, especially at the end-user level.

You can't even reliably interchange identical controller boards because of the drive specific calibration data that's stored on them.

The question here is whether it was the OP or the seller that made the mistake.
It was advertised as a 2tb Hitachi sata 3 hard drive, with next day delivery. The Seagate is what turned up 3 days later...

Back
Top Bottom