Misgendering? Sam Smith is now they or them, not he or him?!

Associate
I think the issue of this is that most normal decent people are happy to respect people's choices if it makes them happy. If somebody wants to live as non-binary then fine, makes absolutely no difference to me.

The rub comes in forcing other people to change their speech to protect the persons mental fragility and weak self esteem. Just as much as Sam Smith wants to force others to change their use of the English Language, I want to continue using English grammar as I see fit.

It's like if somebody wants me to call them starlord instead of Dave, that's cool. However if they want me to refer to them as GX79564 instead of he/him when not in his presence to others (since you would never say he/him directly to somebody) then we have a problem.

I would also bet £5 that Sam Smith would not bother to ask me what my preferred pro-nouns are (how could you for every single person you meet) and as such would risk insulting me by assuming I am a male meaning that he has assigned gender on to someone.

Last edited:
Soldato
There sure are some special people out there. He needs someone with a spine to tell him he is a boy, he was born a boy he will always be a boy so stop being silly.

Caporegime
You do absolutely nothing until someone says please refer to me as "they" then you try to say they if you remember, if you don't then whatever, they probably get it 30x a day. Depending on how much of an ******* they are, they will freak out.

I have 2 family members that go by their middle names, and that's hard enough for me to get right..

Man of Honour
I was reading some twitter comments, some of which are supportive, some of which are harsh. I guess I’m in the middle - I can see both sides of it!

When my partner woke up this morning I announced to her straight faced that I was an attack helicopter. She looked at me puzzled, then left the room in silence to use the bathroom. Upon her return and getting back into bed she asked, after a period of silence, “so.... how’s my attack helicopter?”. I felt a sense of gratitude and love. Maybe I really am an attack helicopter...

Soldato
"I've been very nervous about announcing this because I care too much about what people think."

Doubtful. If HE cared that much, he'd spend all his days asking people how they want to be addressed both in their presence and outside of it. He's an attention whore. End

Soldato
I just feel that people of an older generation that had some real hardship say living through the war just don't whine as much. Younger generations seem to need to find things to whine about, becoming a nation of softies.

Associate
I was reading some twitter comments, some of which are supportive, some of which are harsh. I guess I’m in the middle - I can see both sides of it!

When my partner woke up this morning I announced to her straight faced that I was an attack helicopter. She looked at me puzzled, then left the room in silence to use the bathroom. Upon her return and getting back into bed she asked, after a period of silence, “so.... how’s my attack helicopter?”. I felt a sense of gratitude and love. Maybe I really am an attack helicopter...

I think if you tried to fly over to Afghanistan in order to offload your imaginary hellfire missiles into a village then she would probably be calling you a doctor.

Soldato
I just feel that people of an older generation that had some real hardship say living through the war just don't whine as much. Younger generations seem to need to find things to whine about, becoming a nation of softies.

Oh they do, they whine about the younger generations ;)

Associate
It will only be a matter of time when race will come into the mix, Rachel Dozeal style.

Transracial is already a thing, cue the hate and ire from black writers in the Guardian saying we shouldn't be trying to erase the black race.

Mind you the transracial thing isn't that far fetched and has already existed in a form. I was on a flight from New York to London once and got chatting to an American lady. She said she was going onto Dublin and was really excited. I said it's a beautiful country, enjoy, have you ever been before? She said no but she is Irish. Puzzled I asked if she was born there, moved away etc and she said no her grandfather was Irish, grandmother German, which in turn made her Irish.

Last edited:
Associate
I suspect Sam is going to realise you can't tell people what to do or what to say and expect them just to fall in line with his wishes.

Just like in the song he 'accidentally' copied from the late great Tom Petty, they won't back down. Such a great song from a guy who pretty much said live and let live, without trying to hoist views upon people.

Soldato
You can tell by my posting history im A) left and B) very pc...but this is just irritating now. I have no problem with any part of the LGBT community but this "they" nonsense is exactly that nonsense.

Soldato

This is the same older generation that is literally destroying the economy but lets not derail the thread ;).

Soldato
This is the same older generation that is literally destroying the economy but lets not derail the thread ;).

You mean the people with the most life experience and knowledge?

What is really ruining things is the clueless current generation. Who don't appear to know anything or have any skills other than complaining :/

Soldato
I think most people would agree that whist you're free to identify to yourself as whatever you want inventing a new gender complete with a series of pronouns then expecting everyone else around you to use them because you're unique, special and different from everyone else is a bit silly really.....

If it's going to be a thing then we'll create an Inter/Trans/non-binary gender category with it's own defined pronouns then agree on it to save everyone out there having to worry about creating their own!

The problem with that is the moment someone suggests it there'll be another person getting upset that someone's dared to try and 'categorise' them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom