Upgrade advice please

Associate
I’m currently using my pc which I’ve had around 5? Maybe 6 years. And I’m wondering what sort of upgrade would be best for me.

I still play in 1080p but I’m getting the itch to switch to either 1440p or go the whole hog to 4K.

This may sound stupid but how much better are those resolutions and by better I mean will I really notice the quality and would it be worth the price.

Current specs:

4790k overclocked to 4.4ghz

Nvidia 970 which I’ve tinkered with and overclocked it but no pro so idk what measuring give.

16gb ddr3 ram.

250gb ssd/2tb hdd
750w superflower power supply.
My case is a Corsair 780t so space shouldn’t be an issue.

Games I play: ESO/CS:Go/PUBG/Rocket league / Skyrim/ dayz/arms 3/ minecraft.

Haven’t really got a budget but I don’t really want to upgrade the full system but I’d just love some honest feedback as in if I need a full system refresh to hit 1440p/4K then just tell me.

Thanks for any help guys.

Man of Honour
This may sound stupid but how much better are those resolutions and by better I mean will I really notice the quality and would it be worth the price.
4k is overhyped and under delivers because there isn't the graphical horsepower to drive it without turning some settings down.
but then the question begs: why would you want a hi-fidelity image of a low resolution polygon...lol (a bit of a hyperbole i know...but the point stands)

1440p high refresh rate is the best compromise, you get the fidelity, and also the smoothness - and it's the smoothness that's more noticeable

with that said...bang/buck combination for said 1440p high refresh rate gaming would be:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £809.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

if you do go down this route, the monitor is much much cheaper elsewhere...

4790k is still a capable chip, even in comparison to the ryzen 3600, i wouldn't recommending upgrading that yet. maybe in a year or two, but not yet.

Associate
OP
4k is overhyped and under delivers because there isn't the graphical horsepower to drive it without turning some settings down.
but then the question begs: why would you want a hi-fidelity image of a low resolution polygon...lol (a bit of a hyperbole i know...but the point stands)

1440p high refresh rate is the best compromise, you get the fidelity, and also the smoothness - and it's the smoothness that's more noticeable

with that said...bang/buck combination for said 1440p high refresh rate gaming would be:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £809.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

if you do go down this route, the monitor is much much cheaper elsewhere...

4790k is still a capable chip, even in comparison to the ryzen 3600, i wouldn't recommending upgrading that yet. maybe in a year or two, but not yet.
Thank you so much for your help. Just so I know. What would a nvidia comparison be. Do amd still run hot/ bad drivers or is that a thing of the past and would the 4790k be a bottle neck at all?

Man of Honour
Lol that's a thing of the past. 5700xt is just behind a 2070 super in performance.
4790k wouldn't be too much of a bottleneck at 1440p

Back
Top Bottom