People who perceive things in strange ways

Soldato
My mates wife, university degree in something non-tech (maybe art or similar) wouldn't believe us when we said 50% and 1/3 were the same when doing a maths problem ie 50 is 1/3 of 150 and 100 + 50% is 150 therefore 50% and 1/3 were the same if you think about it mathematically (I think we were splitting a bill between the 3 of us).

Oh dear. I feel sorry for your mates wife.

As someone said earlier.

Wow.

I feel sorry for your friend's wife. She is right by the way, 50% is not the same as 1/3 in any maths problem.

Soldato
My mates wife, university degree in something non-tech (maybe art or similar) wouldn't believe us when we said 50% and 1/3 were the same when doing a maths problem ie 50 is 1/3 of 150 and 100 + 50% is 150 therefore 50% and 1/3 were the same if you think about it mathematically (I think we were splitting a bill between the 3 of us).

errm, what?

Man of Honour
Vote name change to Diane Abbott :D

Man of Honour
lol! You utter boob, 1/3 is not the same as 50% :D

1/2 (half) of a number is the same as 50% of a number.

Edit - If you increase a number by 50% then yes, the amount you have increased the number by is the same as 1/3 of the new sum... but that does not mean 1/3 is 50%!!

Associate
One moment which tickled me in particular:

Many years ago I paid a visit with my nanna to Segedunum, the Roman fort at the eastern terminus of Hadrian's Wall. Like most such sites it had the usual information panels about Roman life, the military etc. I had walked off and returned to find her frowning at one of the information panels, which referenced 'Italians'. She looked at me in utter bewilderment and said: "well what have the Italians got to do with it?". My reply was of course along the lines of: well where the **** do you think Rome is?!

Amusingly, her daughter is married to an Italian and lives in Italy and she must have visited the country at least once a year for about 25 years. I've never let her live that one down.

Back
Top Bottom