MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
I've seen a number of turbos for sale lately, including bbr turbos and the like.

Maybe people get a taste for the power and move onto a more powerful car, or maybe they've come to the end of the line with modding the car and need a new project.

Caporegime
I've seen a number of turbos for sale lately, including bbr turbos and the like.

Maybe people get a taste for the power and move onto a more powerful car, or maybe they've come to the end of the line with modding the car and need a new project.

You are over 250BHP/Tonne in a light RWD sports car. You need a lot of money to really get something that is faster.

Soldato
Any particular reason? You can do full sequential on a the NA CAS it just requires rewiring the injectors on 1.6s

I get the ME221 for trade price. Ideally I would have just liked an ECU with a new wiring loom to make my life easier. Been speaking to Nick from Skuzzle and he seems to think I can do away with cam sensor and fit the 36-1 Trigger wheel so looks like I got solutions to my problem without having to go find a MK2

Man of Honour
I get the ME221 for trade price. Ideally I would have just liked an ECU with a new wiring loom to make my life easier. Been speaking to Nick from Skuzzle and he seems to think I can do away with cam sensor and fit the 36-1 Trigger wheel so looks like I got solutions to my problem without having to go find a MK2

Yeq, you can do that too. It does mean you have to to batch injection and wasted spark though

Man of Honour
More details please?

1998 1.8 in Evo Orange/Racing Bronze.
118k miles on the chassis, 85k roughly on the engine
Sills/rear arches replaced in April 2017
Chassis rails done in November 2017
Tonnes of photos for both.
Bonnet, bumpers and rear quarters repainted, small dent on drivers rear quarter. It's still a 10ft car
Hard top and good vinyl hood

Black cat fabrication TD04 Manifold and 2.5" downpipe.
2.5" catted center section (Cat is borked)
Cobalt Single Exit rear silencer.
MSLabs MS3 ECU
Flex fuel setup for seamless switching between pump fuel and methanol premix
Bosch EV14 650cc injectors
Competition clutch stage 3 clutch - stock flywheel

H&R Springs
Stock dampers
FreakyParts 280mm front disc conversion, Roddisons Marvel Mysterypads & HEL lines
New rear calipers a few hundred miles ago, along with discs and pads. Probably needs replacement cables as the handbrake still sucks.
5 Speed Gearbox, 4.10 ratio open diff

280hp/240ft-lbs on a 20% methanol premix, roughly 230hp/210ft-lbs on VPower

Probably a bunch of smaller odds and sods I've missed

£3750 if you're interested?

Soldato
Booked my NC2 in for it's service and MOT today, plugs being done for the first time at 60k as they're long life, not sure I trust that interval but there you go. Hopefully they aren't a nightmare to get out.

Still really enjoying it but the lingering dread of rust does bother me, oh and someone dented the rear bumper the other day :rolleyes:.

I've been considering chopping it in for a GT86 or Mk6 or 7 GTi at some point

Man of Honour
The OC meet was good, had a quick nose around the British Motor Museum as well as it was included. Think the only annoying thing was how loud the PA was outside.

Soldato
The OC meet was good, had a quick nose around the British Motor Museum as well as it was included. Think the only annoying thing was how loud the PA was outside.
Yeah in some places it was to the point where you couldn't really have a conversation. Which kind of sucked if your stand was in one of those places :p

It was my wife's first OC meeting and I was thinking she'd tolerate it at best but she really enjoyed it. I think that despite seeing pictures of previous events she thought it would be 25 people stood in a field talking about chrome windscreen washer jets.

Associate
Probably (madly) considering one of these as an interim car, some of the local ones i've seen are around 2004/05. Is there anything specific to this mk to look out for other than the usual rust? Are the front chassis legs still a paritcular point to worry about? I don't necessarily want it to be throw away, but also would prefer not to end up scrapping it after using it for a few months!

Man of Honour
Probably (madly) considering one of these as an interim car, some of the local ones i've seen are around 2004/05. Is there anything specific to this mk to look out for other than the usual rust? Are the front chassis legs still a paritcular point to worry about? I don't necessarily want it to be throw away, but also would prefer not to end up scrapping it after using it for a few months!

04/05 is late MK2.5.

Main issues to look for are front chassis legs and sills/rear quarters

Man of Honour
Thanks for that, is there any number the engines should not be considered after? Past the regular maintenance is their specifics that should be completed?

With nothing more than regular maintenance the Mazda BP will still be here when there's nothing but cockroaches left.

I doubled the power output of my 1.8 starting with 105k miles and that survived 15k miles of abuse until it expired due to user error

Back
Top Bottom