People who perceive things in strange ways

Soldato
My mates wife, university degree in something non-tech (maybe art or similar) wouldn't believe us when we said 50% and 1/3 were the same when doing a maths problem ie 50 is 1/3 of 150 and 100 + 50% is 150 therefore 50% and 1/3 were the same if you think about it mathematically (I think we were splitting a bill between the 3 of us).
Whatever else needs to be said, it's fair to state that @ianh has, here, nailed the phenomena highlighted in the OP :D

Soldato
I think he's confused himself with the fact 50% of the starting number is the same as 1/3 of the final number and somehow brainfarted his way to deciding that means 1/3 = 50%.

Either that or he was trying to 'split the bill 3 ways' by telling her 1/3 is the same as 50% and that's why she should pay 50% of the bill, whilst he and his wife paid the other 50%.

Scammer :p

I haz 4090!
Don
My mates wife, university degree in something non-tech (maybe art or similar) wouldn't believe us when we said 50% and 1/3 were the same when doing a maths problem ie 50 is 1/3 of 150 and 100 + 50% is 150 therefore 50% and 1/3 were the same if you think about it mathematically (I think we were splitting a bill between the 3 of us).

Quoted this before even reading the rest of the thread just to say, calling it now, 90% of replies will be about how wrong this post is. Or is it a third?

*edit* Yep! :p

Soldato
LOL, the point was adding 50% of the original figure is the same as adding 1/3 of the new total figure, which is correct ie 100% + 50% = 150% so the original 100% figure is now only 2/3 of the new total meaning you've added 1/3 of the new total by adding 50% of the original total.

It's simple maths really :D

Soldato
LOL, the point was adding 50% of the original figure is the same as adding 1/3 of the new total figure, which is correct ie 100% + 50% = 150% so the original 100% figure is now only 2/3 of the new total meaning you've added 1/3 of the new total by adding 50% of the original total.

adding 50% of a figure to itself makes it 150% of the orginal figure, the part added is a third of the new figure.

Soldato

Adding 50% and then 1/3 of the new total gives you 2x what you had :p

Associate
On my old windows 95 screen saver it just said the words “press enter to continue” ... i came home from school to see my grandmother pressing the word “enter” ....on the actual screen

Man of Honour
I have a mate who calls roundabouts strange names and he names them where he will eventually end up.
So for example most Stoke people would know Talke roundabout on the A500 but he calls it Congleton roundabout because he has to drive to that to go to Congleton which is then around 9 miles away.
The roundabout on the A500 immediately before the M6 J15 he calls Birmingham roundabout which is then around 40 miles away.
This has caused a lot of confusing discussions over the decades.

Soldato
Not it related but our friend takes 1800 a month from his gf (all but 300 of her income) and has done for just over 12 years.. Their total outgoing are about £700.

She has to buy all the food for both of them from her remaining £300

Neither of them thought there was anything odd about that, now we mentioned to her that's not right she found out he has just shy of 500k in savings!

When she asked why she has to put so much into the joint account he said "that's what you pay to live here"

They also have slept in separate rooms for several years..!

So they both perceived sleeping in different rooms and him taking all her money as normal! (until we told her otherwise) she is now seeking legal advice! (about they money not sleeping in different rooms)

I'd have advised Police involvement tbh.

He's controlling her by financially crippling her.

Soldato
There was some carrier bags stuck in a metal thing on the wall when I moved in to my flat so I assumed it was for storing bags...only recently found out it's a ****** wine rack :p

Man of Honour
He's somehow manipulated her into thinking giving him 85% of her monthly income is perfectly normal.

My Mum used to hand over 100% of her wages to my Dad, my sister also handed 100% of hers over when she did Sat/Sun jobs and was still at school.
I got away with it because they left me on my own at 16 and when they came back I got married.

Man of Honour
I have a mate who calls roundabouts strange names and he names them where he will eventually end up.
So for example most Stoke people would know Talke roundabout on the A500 but he calls it Congleton roundabout because he has to drive to that to go to Congleton which is then around 9 miles away.
The roundabout on the A500 immediately before the M6 J15 he calls Birmingham roundabout which is then around 40 miles away.
This has caused a lot of confusing discussions over the decades.

Not completely crazy - we have for instance London road around here because back in the day ultimately it was the road that took you to London despite London being more than 100 miles away.

Back
Top Bottom