I am so unlucky :(

Associate
AOC AGON AG322QC4 - vertical bands down screen and flickering freesync
Electriq 35@ curved - worst backlight bleed I've ever seen, flashing freesync
LG 32GK850F - gap in chassis between display and bezel letting backlight through
2nd 32GK850F - Chassis is bent inversely on the right hand side, enough that the lower bezel sits several mm from the front of the casing
3rd 32GK850F - Black line with faint white line above it going horizontally across the screen

sigh!

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't kbnow that you're unlucky, more just a victim of what has become all too common an occurence. Buying a monitor is one of the biggest lotteries going, and an incredibly stressful experience. I went through 7 myself before finding a decent one. :(

Soldato
AOC AGON AG322QC4 - vertical bands down screen and flickering freesync
Now why I'm always thinking there's "Y"-missing from that name...:p

I suspect part of problem is thin bezels and monitor.
And if already thin bezels are problematic, screen being not flat certainly makes it just harder.

Associate
OP
hehe, one should not ever buy a B-Grade monitor! I'd love a 34GK950F, though, but somewhat way over my budget!

I've come to the conclusion that if you want anything close to perfect uniformity, to avoid curved panels. I imagine things like the 34GK950F do better...but for £1100 you'd hope so!

@Legend it definitely does seem as though QC has taken a nose dive when it comes to monitors (and TVs!). Though both of these 32GK850F's appear to have good panels, but other issues elsewhere. Not had a chance to even look for not so obvious panel issues due to the glaring faults apparent before I even connected the monitor up!

@EsaT definitely not missing a "Y" ;)
Yeah I imagine the thin bezels are a lot of the problem.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll be taking the panel lottery in to account going forwards. I was hoping that an upgrade to a 34" ultrawide curved 100 Hz FreeSync with allegedly near-perfect GSync compatibility would do for me almost indefinitely. Even if the monitor world moved on to 8k / 68" ultrawides with 200 hz+, HDR, microLED etc, I'd probably be content to bow out at 3440x1440 100hz as I suspect everything will be diminishing returns after that. With such a worsening lottery to be faced every monitor change, I'm even more inclined to hang on to any decent one I get to the bitter end.

I now have my trusty Dell U3415W UWQHD back on my desk with the new 1 day old monitor I bought back in its box awaiting collection. I now definitely appreciate the build quality of the Dell, it's simply rock solid and hasn't given me any issues in the 4 years I've had it. The monitor that's going back has FreeSync 'nightmare-mode' only and bezels that aren't flush, with the backlight leaking out of the monitor. There was a good half cm of glowing space all along the top and left side at one point, and even though I snapped it as flush as I could it's still not sealed.

I suspect part of problem is thin bezels and monitor.
And if already thin bezels are problematic, screen being not flat certainly makes it just harder.

To be fair, the 34" Dell I mentioned above has thin bezels and a curve. As it's one of the first generation of ultrawides, I'd have hoped QC and build quality would've stayed the same or even improved, rather than decline as the tech has matured.

Associate
I feel your pain
Benq 32 inch curved, dead pixels and bad blb

Replacement benq blb even worse!

Tried the LG 32GK850F
Dead pixels!
Second 32GK850F
Dead pixels
Third 32GK850F
Perfect! Then half the backlight pings off!

Tried it again and now seems to be working. Im loathed to send it back as this one has a good screen. Im hoping its some gremlin that made it throw a wobbly and its okay. But now im paronoid each time i use it that either a pixel will die or the backlight will go off.

Never again will i spend lots of money on a monitor for the aggrivatio I and stress

Soldato
CRG 9 1 - dead pixel x2
CRG 9 2 - stuck pixel in middle of screen bright white on black
CRG 9 3 - electrical burning smell and cracking noises constantly

Then they sold out. Kept the dead pixel one from Rainforest and they said once its back in stock, they'll replace it even if it takes 6 months. otherwise will return it at 6 month mark if i want.

Soldato
It is a veritable virtual minefield buying a monitor these days.

It's the reason I bought a s/h monitor from the MM with the sellers assurance of the panel quality, including no dodgy pixels.

Thankfully, on that score, he was telling the truth.

I'm hoping it lasts as long as I do.

Associate
It feels like a lack of qc and were doing the product testing as the end user. Half the battle i think is the monitor being shipped halfway around the world then probably thrown around by couriours, who knows what gets knocked in the process and comes loose. Id rather pay a bit extra on top for a better tested product if it meant not going through 4-5 screens and the hassle.

Man of Honour
Agree with all this. I'm buying a new monitor very soon and I should be excited and looking forward to it.

Instead, I'm dreading it.

Yeah I hate that - I used to love buying new tech but these days there is a great deal of trepidation when I buy a monitor as to what kind of quality it will be out the box :(

Associate
Some companies in the US do a check for a small fee that no dead pixels etc. I think company like OC should do that. Id happily pay £20 on top for assurance that im im not getting a bum monitor and end up sending it back about 20 times

Associate
hehe, one should not ever buy a B-Grade monitor! I'd love a 34GK950F, though, but somewhat way over my budget!

I've come to the conclusion that if you want anything close to perfect uniformity, to avoid curved panels. I imagine things like the 34GK950F do better...but for £1100 you'd hope so!

@Legend it definitely does seem as though QC has taken a nose dive when it comes to monitors (and TVs!). Though both of these 32GK850F's appear to have good panels, but other issues elsewhere. Not had a chance to even look for not so obvious panel issues due to the glaring faults apparent before I even connected the monitor up!

@EsaT definitely not missing a "Y" ;)
Yeah I imagine the thin bezels are a lot of the problem.

I have to say that 34GK950F backlight bleeding does exist, but it doesn't really bother me all that much. After prolonged use I think it goes away after many months, this happened with my Acer XB271HU which was also an IPS.

Soldato
Some companies in the US do a check for a small fee that no dead pixels etc. I think company like OC should do that. Id happily pay £20 on top for assurance that im im not getting a bum monitor and end up sending it back about 20 times

I made the mistake of buying a monitor from a company that I discovered after the purchase, does this check.

Guess what happens to the monitors that fail...you guessed it, unlawfully put straight back into stock.

Guess the condition of the monitor I received?

Box had been opened (surprise, surprise), and the panel had a dead pixel.

After much, much faffing around with said company, I finally got them to pick up the monitor and deliver a pre-checked one (which I had to pay around £25 for the privilege).

Horrible experience, and another company I shall never buy goods from again.

Soldato
Last 4 new monitors I've purchased in the last few years I've had to have replacements for either dead or stuck pixels and bad backlight bleed. Unfortunately it's normal it seems. Sad times

Associate
The last Dell monitor I bought 6 years ago had a broken USB port. Dell were great and sent a new one out right away and told me to dispose of the old one myself since the delivery guy wouldn't take it away. I sold it on eBay for £250.

I would buy Dell again if they made a monitor I wanted to buy.

Back
Top Bottom