Converting or adapting HDMI or Ethernet cable to Coaxial

Associate
So...

I've got a TV on a wall which had some very elaborately run HDMI (X2), Ethernet and speaker wire run through the cavity behind it. Only problem is I'd really like to run a coaxial for Freeview to an aerial socket near where the other end of these cables come out of the wall.

I've tried using the existing speaker wire (thinnest) to pull through a coaxial but there is no movement in any of the cables in the wall...they are solid as a rock!

My question: could I somehow adapt or convert one of these existing cables to a coaxial one I can connect to my TVs aerial socket?

Soldato
You could connect the outer of the coax to three cables on the ethernet and the other three to the inner of the coax, make sure they are isolated so insulation tape to keep them separate. It should work as long as you terminate them properly. Signal strength could be an issue as the cores are so thin with the Ethernet. Second option is to do the same but with the audio cable.

Associate
OP
Thanks both, I did wonder if it was possible bigboy...if at least one person thinks it may be then it's worth a pop! I'll cut up a spare patch cable first and give it a go with the ethernet and an old coax cable, it's with a pop!

I did wonder if my other option may be a wireless coax sender and receiver as I swear these existed about 15 years ago, I'll have another search later see if I can find one...or maybe It never existed, I can't be sure :D

Associate
OP
Good news and bad news....good news is my tests rewiring an ethernet cable with coaxial ends worked perfectly for standard Freeview channels with a very low drop in signal quality from 100% to 96%...I almost couldn't believe it, until I switched to an HD channel and it immediately went in to a blocky mess and massive signal quality loss! Damn!

Associate
OP
I must admit the actual thickness of copper strands when combined I think was pretty comparable with just the ethernet patch cable (using 4 wires for the outside coax wiring and 4 for the core)...I am wondering if it is mainly interference as obviously the Coaxial cable shields its core from the outside wires where as the patch cable they are not shielded at all...but yeah I was pretty chuffed with the amount it did work considering what I had just hacked together!

I'll likely end up just running a proper Coaxial cable through the wall...but I have lived and learnt :)

Soldato
Good news and bad news....good news is my tests rewiring an ethernet cable with coaxial ends worked perfectly for standard Freeview channels with a very low drop in signal quality from 100% to 96%...I almost couldn't believe it, until I switched to an HD channel and it immediately went in to a blocky mess and massive signal quality loss! Damn!

ok what about a signal booster somewhere!? maybe that's all u need

Soldato
SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) will be the main factor, holding it back from the HD channels, you should get a better experience from the twin core audio cable if you fancy another trial :D

Soldato
The issue with the aerial signal over coax is not so much the thickness of the strands as the characteristic impedance of the cable, at RF frequencies signals travel down the cable more a wave, than say an off or on signal. You might get marginally better results by only using one pair of teh data cable, and one conductor of the pair to teh centre and one to the braid, but ultimatly it'll be a bit of a mess with standing waves, etc. I'm sure @Feek could explain the theory a lot better than I have... but to do it properly would require a balun at each end. Looks dear, but this sort of thing https://cpc.farnell.com/muxlab/5003...MI3-Sn24zW5AIVhrHtCh21NgWZEAQYASABEgJLpPD_BwE

Can't you locate a freeview receiver elsewhere then send it via HDMI to the screen?, think you can get remote extenders to re-transmit the IR from the remote inside the cupboard or wherever it is the HDMIs come out

Back
Top Bottom