• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it normal for Ryzen to hit 74c

Soldato
I was just watching YouTube and downloading games on steam and looked at MSI command centre and my Ryzen 3600 cpu was at 74c. Had no stability problems apart from one crash of chrome, Just a bit shocked coming from intel i5.

Soldato
Yes its the stealth Wraith i believe.

Stock cooler is crap if you care about temperatures. It won’t affect performance much though - the ryzen chips more or less run the same at 90c as they do at 60c, there is very little performance impact

Soldato
I set a negative offset of 0.1v to the CPU and temps dropped around 10C with almost no performance loss, that's on a 3900x, might be different on a 3600 as my 3900 was hitting over 85C under 100% load. In games it is 50-60C.

Soldato
Do test your performance before and after applying the offset using something like Cinebench though, as even if the chip is perfectly stable and the clocks appear to be the same, you'll start to lose actual performance due to clock stretching if you push too far. My 3700X didn't lose anything at -50mV, but how far you can go seems to be sample-dependent.

Soldato
OP
Ive just had a weird crash after playing dirt 3. System rebooted and got to windows then crashed again and rebooted again and when i got into windows MSI manager showed 82c. Now im a bit worried.

Soldato
Im crashing all over the place now. My temp was 85c after a few reboots I think a better cooler is on the cards. Any recommends?

What temps did your previous i5 have? And what case are you using? Have you double checked the thermal paste and cooler mounting?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure the I5 temps but I never had any bother with it I just let it do it's thing. The pc is in an enclosure in the desk I might have to remove from there in case of bad air flow. I'm thinking it could be a few things. I hooked up the front panel he audio to the mainboard, there's 2 connectors for this I may have used the wrong one. I also put the ram on xmp? In the bios as it was only running at 2400mhz and not 3200mhz it's rated at. I will more than likely purchase a better cooler though any recommendations?

Associate
I'm going to do a bios upgrade too see if that helps any. Case is Antec P100.

BIOS upgrade might help. I must have missed it. It would also help if you replace the stock paste with something like MX-4. If you do replace the cooler, i recommend this . . .

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html

Also, before flashing the bios, make sure you reset it to optimized default. Once you flash it, apply your RAM setting but you may need to add a bit of vcore using XMP. If stock RAM vcore is 1.35v, set it to 1.37v.

Last, the pea method of applying paste does not work well with Ryzen. I've read some recommend applying dots of paste at or near where the dies are. Near the four corners of the cpu. I use two parallel lines evenly spaced from the top, middle and bottom of the cpu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom