PC Upgrade Help Needed - CPU

Associate
Recently i needed help upgrading my PC and i asked this forum for good options and the general consensus was that my GPU wasnt up to par so i upgraded from a GTX 750 to a Vega 56, i was also told to purchase an SSD which i did, whilst this upgrade was pretty expensive i have not seen that much in the way of performance increases. (I also had to upgrade my power supply because i was not aware that my current PSU that was listed on the thread, might not had the right amount of cables which was a bit annoying but its all my fault i guess).

Im quite sure i need to upgrade my CPU because it could be bottle-necking the GPU which im sure is much better than im receiving performance from and also im not sure if this is far fetched for an upgrade forum but my GPU randomly shuts down every few hours and the fan either starts blowing hard or its just a silent shut down even when im monitoring the heat and its certainly not that hot when it shuts down (only in games though).

Here are my specs:

CPU: i3-4160 - 3.60GHz
GPU: MSI Radeon Vega 56
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G
PSU: - EVGA 600 Watt
RAM: 2x CRUCIAL 4GB sticks

So what CPU do u guys recommend i get with a £150-175 budget!
(also if i might need to upgrade my motherboard for the cpu upgrade dont let it surpass £200 total pls)

I really appreciate any help i get, this forums is really great for this type of thing and i am quite inexperienced in this kinda stuff. This is the second time i am asking for help because now i have different issues and a different budget.

Associate
IMO, you only have two options here, buy a second hand i7-4790/4770 for around £100-£120, this would give you a good bump in performance or you save some more money and and change CPU/Motherboard/RAM to something like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £387.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Personaly i would go for the new hardware as it will be faster and everything would have warrenties. If you buy a new i7 and then your motherboard fails you would have wasted that money unless you could get a replacement motherboard.​

Associate
OP
IMO, you only have two options here, buy a second hand i7-4790/4770 for around £100-£120, this would give you a good bump in performance or you save some more money and and change CPU/Motherboard/RAM to something like this:

Total: £387.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Personaly i would go for the new hardware as it will be faster and everything would have warrenties. If you buy a new i7 and then your motherboard fails you would have wasted that money unless you could get a replacement motherboard.​
So would my motherboard not be able to handle the newer cpu, and if i were to buy new hardware would i need to replace the ram or can i just reuse my current ones. And what would u recommend for new hardware with £250 budget - main purposes being (gaming/recording/graphic design). Thanks a lot for the reply, really appreciate the help!

Associate
No. Each generation of cpu sort of needs a mew motherboard. The ryzen one suggested is for AMD and the motherboard you have is for intel. Also newer cups required more than just a motherboard coming from your setup as they moved onto the next phase of RAM. So you would need cpu, motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

The gpu shutting down shouldn't be a problem with the cpu. The cpu being a limiter on the gpus performance would just make it run slower. It also isn't the psu as I have a 650 running vega 64 which is more hungry than your GPU.

Associate
And what would u recommend for new hardware with £250 budget
If you are not able to increase the budget at all then i would say you will get better performance by going second hand I7.

This is the cheapest you will get new hardware at but it will be slower than an I7 - 4790 in your current PC:
Total: £281.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
No. Each generation of cpu sort of needs a mew motherboard. The ryzen one suggested is for AMD and the motherboard you have is for intel. Also newer cups required more than just a motherboard coming from your setup as they moved onto the next phase of RAM. So you would need cpu, motherboard and DDR4 RAM.

The gpu shutting down shouldn't be a problem with the cpu. The cpu being a limiter on the gpus performance would just make it run slower. It also isn't the psu as I have a 650 running vega 64 which is more hungry than your GPU.

Ah alright, thanks for the reply! So its a faulty GPU then u think?

If you are not able to increase the budget at all then i would say you will get better performance by going second hand I7.

This is the cheapest you will get new hardware at but it will be slower than an I7 - 4790 in your current PC:
Total: £281.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thank you for the recommendations, are u sure my motherboard will be able to handle the i7 and if i were too get it second hand do u have any ideas where, and would i need new ram?

Associate
I would not bother with trying to upgrade the cpu within the confines of that board, its never going to be great although it is pretty much your only option if your not going to be able to find the extra for say a 3600.

As for the shutdowns, could be anything - impossible to say without more detail.

Back
Top Bottom