Did I mess up? Removing wall under stairs.

Associate
Hey guys,

I should really start a House Log with the amount of questions and help I get here :D

We are in the process of redoing our hallway, already re-boarded the ceiling and now we decided to take out the wall under the stairs to open up more space and put some nice storage. Not a fan of a small door.

This is what we started with:

8785e3d5fabac872482542287d775063-full.jpg

I took the drywall off inside the storage room and exposed all the studs, removed some of the wall from the front as well:
2d70fa96d5af7d187b85811fb24112e5-full.jpg
c4a6e80c69a9ed2c7b19475c0d7fb530-full.jpg
18fcb37cdca4dd11fc0ec1e97a3d7bc2-full.jpg

The stairs seem to be self supporting, studs are nailed in few places to the "stringer?" but it seems its only there to hold the drywall.
Thinking that, I went ahead creating a slight reinforcement by placing wood following the slope of the stairs and after cut 3 studs off at that point:
d04db6ce3b5b95455a09a0a12e282df4-full.jpg

Essentially made a same angle slope following the stairs all the way up so I can later drywall it and create a little lip for the light...but whatever, that's not the question I was gonna ask.

It made sense during the process but now I am questioning myself if those studs were important and not just holding up the drywall? They are only shy of 2" x 3" studs and only 3 were cut.

Would be play a big role in load bearing structure?

The last stud next to the wall was left and I don`t intend to remove it:

b7d3d8aa3965c4082dacb5c5cf3134d1-full.jpg

Anyone had any experience with this?
My ow fault for going in for the kill before properly researching, not what I usually do :(

Thanks all in advance.;)

Associate
Looks like you've done a nice neat job. The stairs would be self supporting so no problems structurally but stairs sometimes do have a little bit of flex which the studs may have stopped. It won't be enough for you to really notice it but you could get a bit of cracking where the stairs meet the wall on the other side. I'd just see how it goes, I'm sure it will be fine.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, needed some reassurance.

I did ask someone to walk up the stairs several times to see if there is any unusual flex but there wasnt. As you mentioned not enough to probably notice.

Yeah I will look into the stairs as they are very squaky! Not sure yet on the course of action but will have to research.
Can see some of the nails popping out and cause the squak, not sure if screws are applicable?
Dont mind going a bit OTT just so it lasts for a long while.
Its mainly the board you stand on that flexes a lot.

Thank you for your feedback guys :p

Soldato
Thanks all, needed some reassurance.

I did ask someone to walk up the stairs several times to see if there is any unusual flex but there wasnt. As you mentioned not enough to probably notice.

Yeah I will look into the stairs as they are very squaky! Not sure yet on the course of action but will have to research.
Can see some of the nails popping out and cause the squak, not sure if screws are applicable?
Dont mind going a bit OTT just so it lasts for a long while.
Its mainly the board you stand on that flexes a lot.

Thank you for your feedback guys :p

Glue in some wedges and blocks from behind the stairs and screw everything together that you can access!

Associate
OP
Yep got some glue and screws today, will tighten everything I can and add some extra blocks.
Once its boarded thats it so might as well do a good job of it

Thanks for all advice guys!

Back
Top Bottom