*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
Cheers, second day of training today. Starting to wish I'd grouped it together now. Took me a while this morning to get back into it again, although was on a cb500f today which was the first time from the 125. Annoyingly was with another guy today that thought he knew it all, but was constantly getting it wrong and so many stops as explanations were given. Ate into my own learning time I felt, but was slowly getting more confident as the day went on. Still making a fair few 'failure' mistakes though. Stopping in wrong places, a few lane discipline faults etc.

One more day in another week then the test the following day, which I don't feel particularly confident on at the moment, so we shall see.

Had the same issue when I had my training, another guy doing his but he thought he knew everything as he had been riding his 125 for a few years. Safe to say he went and failed his mod2 on the day we both had it.

Might be worth seeing if they can fit you in another lesson before if it would help you feel more confident.

Associate
Apparently a young girl who was taking her test at the same time had a perfect round then also failed for touching a cone with her foot didnt even knock it over or displace it just touched it :o

So glad I took my test 32years ago :)

Soldato
Apparently a young girl who was taking her test at the same time had a perfect round then also failed for touching a cone with her foot didnt even knock it over or displace it just touched it :O

So glad I took my test 32years ago :)

Bloody hell that's mad and seems strict... When I took my test back in 2008 it seemed quite simple compared to tests these days.. I was on test with a young lad who got a right telling off by the instructor as he approached a round about and wanted to go left, the donut went up the inside of an artic lorry who was turning left :eek:.. We had to pull over so the instructorccould have a word :p

Soldato
Well managed to pass Mod1 and 2 today on the first go. Had another day of training yesterday, this time on a new cb650f which I found a lot easier to ride and manouvre. Test was down in Burgess hill, which was a fair old ride from South London, but it was very useful to really get into again and a good mix of NSL and town riding. Mod 1 went fine. 1 minor for going too slow on the swerve first time round. Mod 2 seemed to go ok from my point of view, thankfully the route was fairly quiet besides a few odd bits of narrow, give way to oncoming traffic roads. Ended up with 6 minors, a variety of things, but three for coming onto roundabouts while cars weren't quite clear ahead of me. Pretty happy with that though. Now the proper learning begins!

Soldato
Well done!, i still find myself riding about at times thinking that getting a bike and my licence was probably the best decision i've ever made!.

Do you have a bike yet?.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ready to get absolutely flamed, but i've bought an 899 panigale. Very aware its a huge amount of bike, and pretty inappropriate as a first bike. I'd looked at getting a street triple but just didn't really like the looks as much as some of the sports bikes, so then looked at GSXR600/750s, but ultimately the panigale won out. It's taken a bit of getting used to coming from the CB650f I was learning on, and am taking it very easy so far, having just left it indefinitely in wet mode.

Transmission breaker
Don
Ready to get absolutely flamed, but i've bought an 899 panigale. Very aware its a huge amount of bike, and pretty inappropriate as a first bike. I'd looked at getting a street triple but just didn't really like the looks as much as some of the sports bikes, so then looked at GSXR600/750s, but ultimately the panigale won out. It's taken a bit of getting used to coming from the CB650f I was learning on, and am taking it very easy so far, having just left it indefinitely in wet mode.

Wow, Nice! I bought a £600 honda for my first "big bike", just to make sure i did not want to kill myself if i ever drop it or bin it :D

Soldato
Yeah, it's not particularly sensible really, but been ok so far fingers crossed and I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the bike now. The first few rides I found fairly intimidating, and very nervy, but I'm settling down a bit now, whilst trying to remain very careful. I've got crash bungs on the sides and bar ends, so hopefully minimising what I can should the worst happen. I'd like to take it on track next year, so may get some cheap chinese fairings to put then.

Last edited:
Associate
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but my instructor isn't coming with me to the test centre and I'll be taking their 600cc bike. Am I actually legally able to ride it to the centre without the instructor present?

Man of Honour
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but my instructor isn't coming with me to the test centre and I'll be taking their 600cc bike. Am I actually legally able to ride it to the centre without the instructor present?
No. You need to be in radio contact with an instructor to legally ride on the road on l plates.

Associate
Ok, I will confront them on this. It is possible I misheard and they may have said " I won't be going in with you " but I thought that was obvious and so I assumed they meant not coming with me to the centre.

Back
Top Bottom