Cat6 modules on cat6A cable?

Associate
Hi network champs,
Is there any problem with wiring up cat6 modules onto cat6A cable?

During a house refurb I made the classic mistake of installing network cable without checking with the experts. For some reason I got cat6A installed and the ends are in standard 'plug socket' back boxes. I've asked a company to quote for finishing the job and they say standard back boxes are too shallow for cat6A modules, so are suggesting to save money and time by installing cat6 modules onto the cat6A cable. Is this OK? Is it sensible?
Cheers for your thoughts.

Soldato
You can get away with all sorts of things you shouldn't do and still have everything working just fine. If you're paying someone to put the faceplates on (why BTW?) they're presumably going to guarantee that it'll work.

If you're concerned what's stopping you from sinking deeper backing boxes?

Associate
OP
They are connecting the cables to the modules and fitting faceplates, installing a cabinet, patch panel, and testing the connections.
I'm very tempted to do it all myself, but don't have loads of free time at the moment so thought would be better to get someone else to do it.

Associate
If you want a professional job surely insist on the correct size back boxes and modules. Never a good idea to bend the cables to much just to squeeze them in imho.

Associate
OP
problem is the back boxes are already in, and the plastering and painting is all finished to I'd rather not have the mess of ripping out backbox and refitting deeper ones.

The Cat6A cable is overkill anyway, we should have just put in Cat6. So my question is whether I (or a company) can just install Cat6 modules onto Cat6A cables. Then run the ends into a patch panel (cat6 rather than 6A), and then to the switch.

Back
Top Bottom