• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it normal for Ryzen to hit 74c

Caporegime
I was just watching YouTube and downloading games on steam and looked at MSI command centre and my Ryzen 3600 cpu was at 74c. Had no stability problems apart from one crash of chrome, Just a bit shocked coming from intel i5.

Just watching Youtube and downloading games this is not normal, not even on the box stealth cooler.

Is the cooler seated properly?

Ive just had a weird crash after playing dirt 3. System rebooted and got to windows then crashed again and rebooted again and when i got into windows MSI manager showed 82c. Now im a bit worried.

Something is not right.

Mine its 95, so yours is fine.

This is too hot. shouldn't be much more than 80 maximum.

Soldato
OP
Yes thanks guys. Humbug I just did what you said and its exactly like your example. Well ive updated the bios and enabled cpu heat warning in bios. Ive been playing gears of war 5 on ultra @ 1440p and everything seems rock solid stable, so far. Im not sure MSI software is all that accurate as last night when i crashed it said 84c and immediately entered bios and it was @ 44c so something wasnt right.

Caporegime
Yes thanks guys. Humbug I just did what you said and its exactly like your example. Well ive updated the bios and enabled cpu heat warning in bios. Ive been playing gears of war 5 on ultra @ 1440p and everything seems rock solid stable, so far. Im not sure MSI software is all that accurate as last night when i crashed it said 84c and immediately entered bios and it was @ 44c so something wasnt right.

AMD have about 30 temperature sensors spread all over the CPU, some monitoring tools don't know which one to use or what to do with them, i get two completely different readouts in HWMonitor.

The most accurate Ryzen CPU monitoring tool is Ryzen Master.

SXPLPGq.jpg.png

Permabanned
@Jimbo do me a favour, when the system is idle go to Task Manager, open the performance tab, right click in the CPU graph and change it to Logical Processors, if its idle it should look like this, not doing much...

XHhEOCa.jpg.png

Ah. ok :)

AMD have about 30 temperature sensors spread all over the CPU, some monitoring tools don't know which one to use or what to do with them, i get two completely different readouts in HWMonitor.

The most accurate Ryzen CPU monitoring tool is Ryzen Master.

SXPLPGq.jpg.png

4GHz and 2GHz idle clocks are extremely high.
I see that my CPU jumps on the voltage every second - from 0.775V to 0.9V, and this is with the new BIOS.
Idle clock is 2GHz-2.2GHz, base clock according to the specifications is also 2.0GHz.

This new BIOS is a mess.

Caporegime
4GHz and 2GHz idle clocks are extremely high.
I see that my CPU jumps on the voltage every second - from 0.775V to 0.9V, and this is with the new BIOS.
Idle clock is 2GHz-2.2GHz, base clock according to the specifications is also 2.0GHz.

This new BIOS is a mess.

Go into your power options and try "Ryzen Balanced"

Average core volts 0.55v

4 cores sleeping 600Mhz other two.

i1Qy181.jpg.png

Permabanned
Go into your power options and try "Ryzen Balanced"

Average core volts 0.55v

4 cores sleeping 600Mhz other two.

i1Qy181.jpg.png

It is Ryzen Balanced for me. I don't have another option besides Windows Balanced.
Core Temp reports some cores jumping to 2.8GHz all the time, and some cores standing at 1.6 GHz.
Task Manager reports nothing lower than 1.93GHz.

Something is borked with the new BIOS.

Permabanned
Go to your motherboard vendors forum and explain whats happening.

lol, now after going to the settings options where Ryzen Balanced is to be selected, the Core Temp app started to show 932MHz with jumps to 1600MHz.
It looks like Windows somehow doesn't accept/enable this Ryzen Balanced all the time :eek:

Caporegime
Associate
I was just watching YouTube and downloading games on steam and looked at MSI command centre and my Ryzen 3600 cpu was at 74c. Had no stability problems apart from one crash of chrome, Just a bit shocked coming from intel i5.
With regards to the high temps when only watching youtube and downloading games on steam, its normal for CPU usage to be high when downloading steam games. Steam compress the files to make downloads quicker but this results in your computer having to decompress the files on your end which takes processing power. Check your CPU usage when you are next downloading a game off steam.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. When i first put the cooler on with the stock AMD pad on there, i took it off again because it was interfering with the motherboards heatsink. So i think its not working as should. Ive got some Arctic Silver in my box so im going to take off and re seat. I'll report back.

Back
Top Bottom