LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
There will be no fan on the LG 38'' I asked this question while on the chat with LG he could not confirm much as regards to spec with me but definitely no fan will be present in any shape or form on the monitor.

Soldato
OP
I don't know why people think this would have a fan given HDR is non-existent (HDR-400 is nothing). 38" has been around for a while, albeit 60Hz, but no G-Sync monitor in absence of serious HDR has ever required a fan before.

Associate
I don't know why people think this would have a fan given HDR is non-existent (HDR-400 is nothing). 38" has been around for a while, albeit 60Hz, but no G-Sync monitor in absence of serious HDR has ever required a fan before.

look at Jonny93 post - thats way

the fan has nothing to do with the display - all about the g-sync module and as long as you exceed 100/120Hz you have the newer G-Sync module and this comes with a fan (normally)
it could be possible that only the combination of HDR 1000/FALD/144+ Hz is in the need for active cooling and that this version without HDR1000/FALD yet only 144-175Hz doesnt need it...

Soldato
OP
look at Jonny93 post - thats way

the fan has nothing to do with the display - all about the g-sync module and as long as you exceed 100/120Hz you have the newer G-Sync module and this comes with a fan (normally)
it could be possible that only the combination of HDR 1000/FALD/144+ Hz is in the need for active cooling and that this version without HDR1000/FALD yet only 144-175Hz doesnt need it...

It's the backlight which requires cooling, nothing to do with VRR per se, and non-FALD displays will not get hot enough to require one. There's nothing else about G-Sync module which would require one.

Soldato
OP
https://www.techpowerup.com/245463/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-module-adds-usd-500-to-monitor-pricing

there u can see the "module" and the fan to cool it
and this is the only module that can handle 120hz++++
and we are not talking about additional cooling for FALD

the older g-sync module simply cannot deliver 144-175Hz @ 3840x1600 therefore there MUST be the new module with active cooling...

If they can save money by removing the fan when it's not needed, you can bet they will do so.

Associate
haha yea :D

newer module:

gv2xgjy1.jpg

older module:

gv1ptk5g.jpg

Associate
https://www.techpowerup.com/245463/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-module-adds-usd-500-to-monitor-pricing

there u can see the "module" and the fan to cool it
and this is the only module that can handle 120hz++++
and we are not talking about additional cooling for FALD

the older g-sync module simply cannot deliver 144-175Hz @ 3840x1600 therefore there MUST be the new module with active cooling...

What I cant understand why this is being talked about as there is going to be no fan on this monitor and you can see someone has posted a picture of a new g sync module without said fan. I am more interested on a U K pre order time line has anyone got an answer to UK pre orders going live.

Associate
Just come of the telephone with LG as regards to a release date in the UK and I was told the resellers or the places who order these monitors in they are the ones who would have a better idea when these monitors would be available for pre order I explained that B&H & INET bot are giving roughly the 25 October for dispatch of these monitors the LG representative stated that it would be down to the UK resellers of this product who are genuine authorised resellers to make available to the consumer who wish to pre order these monitors and that is why it cannot currently be reordered in the UK as no reseller has yet made it available, makes sense when you think about it the LG Representative also stated LG don’t set dates when monitors are made available but rather the resellers do. Interesting reply. So, can anyone contact someone at Overclockers. I did but no response has yet been received.

Associate
how do you know that? source? evidence?

I don’t really want a monitor with a fan whirring away more stuff to go wrong and what happens when the fan fails do you the owner attempt to crack open the rear panel find faulty fan and simply swap it out with a brand new fan will the fan be hard wired in will it be an awkward fitting to make it impossible to replace I know you could always cut the wires on the plug end and re solder a different fan but heck that’s a lot of trouble to have the fan replaced in case original fan failed, so i prefer a monitor without active cooling. So I e mailed LG and asked them will the LG 38GL950G have an active cooling fan on the monitor and I was told no in an e mail and on the live chat, that’s how I know I doubt they would tell me lies regrading that issue.

Associate
I don’t know, wait on the LG I did say I would wait until November on a pre order date suppose I could wait until them and just be patient but my patience is wearing thin if nothing materialise by then I will defo buy the Acer X35. It is ridiculous that LG have this advertised on their web site and yet it is as elusive a blue mist but yet and all in Sweden they actually give a delivery date of 25th October and in the USA they give the 23rd October. Ironic nothing available in old Blighty maybe it is Brexit that has sounded the death knell who know but I know one thing come November providing I’m still alive I’ll buy the X35 and if anyone hears anything please send me a shout, I’ll keep watching this thread for info so I’m all ears. Does anyone not have a snippet of info I phoned Overclockers and they know nothing either. Big tickle. I would hate to buy the X35 and then this thing gets released as I know I would want to change just for the bigger screen.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if this will be worth double the money of a LG 950F, don't know whether to just pull the trigger on one now

I was thinking what you are considering doing does make one think a little but then you are in that 3440X1440 and I want to get away from that screen size as I always thought it was too short on height.

Soldato
OP
We're only talking another 160 pixels... it's not THAT much... the bigger size probably helps with the illusion, but if you're really finding 1440 too narrow in height, I don't know how much of a solution 1600 will be. I deliberated over the 38" Acer XR382CQK (75Hz) monitor a year or so ago, coming from an X34, and ended up going 4K in the end, as I realised 1600 pixels just wasn't going to cut it.

Associate
I know what you are saying there was a guy who had the older lg38'' against the x34'' and the difference was like night and day the lg made the X34 look really small by comaprison sat on his desk I have the picture but can not upload as you can only upload web links. The difference in size is just crazy it makes the x34 look so small in width and height..

Soldato
OP
I know what you are saying there was a guy who had the older lg38'' against the x34'' and the difference was like night and day the lg made the X34 look really small by comaprison sat on his desk I have the picture but can not upload as you can only upload web links. The difference in size is just crazy it makes the x34 look so small in width and height..

Yes, for sure it is the physical height which makes more of a noticeable difference than the actual pixel difference in terms of productivity. Not knocking it, still a nice res... but they can keep it at £2K, ridiculous!!

Back
Top Bottom