Virgin Superhub 3 upgrade with Router options?

Associate
Hi guys,

Pretty much had enough of the wifi issues with my vmedia superhub3

even with the provided network extenders its pretty crap, even wired devices drop in and out randomly

Im looking to setup a router and put the hub into modem mode!

is this something common people do?

is there a "goto" router that I should just get

Any advice would be great, im this close to cancelling and jumping to some other provider but dont want new wires trawling around the house to the new hub etc.

Thanks a lot

Soldato
Wrong forum - I’m sure a mod will move it to networking.

Firstly if wired devices are randomly dropping connection, something else is going on and that needs to be identified/dealt with. In terms of router, anything with a RJ45 WAN will work, it comes down to the features you want/need.

Associate
I would go the Asus RT-n66u second hand. Wireless performance is on par with ubiquiti stuff (from what I've read) and matched a Ruckus AP I was testing. Benefit is that you can install the Merlin firmware, and thereafter, install Diversion, which gives you network wide ad-block.

My only recent change was to use a Ubiquiti edgerouter x between the Asus and the VM superhub. Reason for that was that I wanted to test the QoS on the ER-x. It seems very good, FPS games don't get ping spikes anymore.

There are obviously newer routers around - not sure what I would try.

Soldato
I would go the Asus RT-n66u second hand. Wireless performance is on par with ubiquiti stuff (from what I've read) and matched a Ruckus AP I was testing. Benefit is that you can install the Merlin firmware, and thereafter, install Diversion, which gives you network wide ad-block.

My only recent change was to use a Ubiquiti edgerouter x between the Asus and the VM superhub. Reason for that was that I wanted to test the QoS on the ER-x. It seems very good, FPS games don't get ping spikes anymore.

There are obviously newer routers around - not sure what I would try.

Merlin dropped support for MIPS based hardware over a year ago iirc.

Soldato
The forum used to go mental for the Asus RT-N56 & N66 but lately it has moved to a Ubiquiti hive.

There isn't really a "go to" option any more. If it's the router you want to be replaced then pick something that meets your spec, any big vendor can handle it as the SH just goe sinto modem mode. Draytek, Ubiquiti Edgerouter & USG's, Billion and I would always throw a MikroTik into the mix but they are extremely non-consumer friendly but outperform routers twice their cost.

For WiFi it's hard not to recommend Ubiquiti UniFi, they work amazingly and have a huge range to choose from to suit your needs with very easy scalability.

Soldato
Back in the day, the N56/66 had a decent spec on paper, unfortunately it was made by a company who ignored security issues for years, faked FCC test data, couldn’t fix the MediaTek modem issues on FTTC lines (when others could) and produced hardware that is now known to ‘drop’ the whole switch side of the device due to manufacturing issues. With hindsight, it was an awful bit of kit from a lousy company.

Compare that to the Unifi AP’s of roughly the same vintage (8 years old?), the Unifi kit is still supported and still works as advertised. Admittedly an AP is a simpler bit of kit and Ubiquiti has its own issues with dropping product ranges in some cases, but even then they generally perform as advertised and the consumer orientated kit is generally accepted as being more reliable and better supported than anything ASUS have produced.

I agree on Mikrotik, it’s a steep learning curve initially and if going Unifi the USG is the more consumer focused option, DrayTek tends to be mediocrity personified and Wi-fi can be lacking.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Pretty much had enough of the wifi issues with my vmedia superhub3

even with the provided network extenders its pretty crap, even wired devices drop in and out randomly

Im looking to setup a router and put the hub into modem mode!

is this something common people do?

is there a "goto" router that I should just get

Any advice would be great, im this close to cancelling and jumping to some other provider but dont want new wires trawling around the house to the new hub etc.

Thanks a lot

Been using ASUS since June on my 500mb service, not a single problem. Am running the AC3200.

Back
Top Bottom